3rd Trimester

Did my water break?!?

I'm waiting for a call back from the OB's office about labwork I had done on Friday so I'll ask them too... Lobster or my mom were no help at all really.

I am wearing a jersey dress and may not have been sitting on the dress (you know, it might have come up when I sat and I was just on panties).

I stood up and there's a small wet circle on my chair. I have watery discharge, but no gush.

Did my water break? I haven't lost my MP that I know of.

Re: Did my water break?!?

• I know that this may sound gross, but it might just be sweat. I've been sweating down there more often lately.Embarrassed
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • If you are having clear mostly unscented discharge that you cannot stop (like you can stop your pee) then it is totally possible that your water broke.  One way to check is to get completely dry put on dry things and lay down on your side for about 20 minutes, if you get up and have a surge of wetness then it is probably your water and you should go to L&D to be checked for sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • when my water broke with my first one - it was an obvious gush and it only happened when I would stand up.  I was soaking wet.  That being said, I do know that some people have slow leaks.  This might sound kind of gross, but you could try and smell the wet circle to be sure it isn't urine.  Good Luck!
  • imagebuler23:
    This might sound kind of gross, but you could try and smell the wet circle to be sure it isn't urine.

I did smell it. It didn't smell like urine.

• I'm wet all the time down there so I'm worried I won't notice when my water breaks.  Put on a pad and see if the leaking continues.  If it does, call your doctor.
  • A friend of mine told me about the "snail trail"- her actual wording!- that she left behind on chairs towards the end of her pregnancy.  Extra discharge, sweating, etc.  BUT, I just read another bumpie's story- she thought her water broke and nurses told her no it wasn't.  She ended up having her baby soon after :)  GL and keep us posted if you go to L&D!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I had the same thing a few weeks ago, clear stuff that came out all at once. Turns out (after going to L&D) that is was just some kind of discharge. (lovely, I know). They said you will know if it is amniotic fluid if it is continuously leaking, even just dripping continuously. If it just happens now and then, it is probably just discharge. But you can go to L&D and they can test the fluid with some litmus paper to see if you want some peace of mind. That's what I ended up doing. GL!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMeanMommyLady:
    If you are having clear mostly unscented discharge that you cannot stop (like you can stop your pee) then it is totally possible that your water broke.  One way to check is to get completely dry put on dry things and lay down on your side for about 20 minutes, if you get up and have a surge of wetness then it is probably your water and you should go to L&D to be checked for sure.

This.. I was told when you lay down it will pool.. so when you stand again there will be a descent amount. GL

• imagemegperk72:
    But you can go to L&D and they can test the fluid with some litmus paper to see if you want some peace of mind. That's what I ended up doing. GL!

Can I test it? I'm a biology teacher so I have litmus paper here... hurm.

• imagemarriedtomylobster:

imagemegperk72:
    But you can go to L&D and they can test the fluid with some litmus paper to see if you want some peace of mind. That's what I ended up doing. GL!

Can I test it? I'm a biology teacher so I have litmus paper here... hurm.

Amniotic fluid is alkaline, you can test it yourself with litmus paper, but the test is not 100% accurate (other things can cause you to have alkaline discharge, like recent sex).  It is a good start though and your doctors office will probably be glad to know if you are having clear alkaline discharge.

• it may be sweat but if you lay down then sit up or stand up and u feel a trickle or the leaking doesnt stop, then yes I believe its your water breaking. Even if you do not think youve lost your mucous plug, most women dont even notice when they do so its a possibility that you already have
  • This happened to me today!! I went to L&D and they sent me home. No amniotic fluid. Good luck!
    http://dairyfreemammaries.blogspot.com/ ~Chronicles of a MPSI Mama~
  • imagemarriedtomylobster:

imagebuler23:
    This might sound kind of gross, but you could try and smell the wet circle to be sure it isn't urine.

I did smell it. It didn't smell like urine.

lmao. awesome.

wait to see if you have any more leakage or call L&D and see what they say. they may want to test you. 

• When mine broke with DS, it was pretty obvious after a few minutes.  everytime I stood up I could feel leaking.  Went through several pads and switched to towels - it was a mess!
  • When My water broke with my first one it wasnt a gush it was a trickle but I felt like a had peed myself and could not stop the flow.  It continued to be a trickle til he was born. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"