Stay at Home Moms
Options

Is there a polite way to ask for money?

Alaina needs nothing. Her room is packed with toys, so is our backyard,  she's set on clothes. She really doesn't need a THING for her birthday.

My brother called me today and said if we want to start a 529 for Alaina he'll pay the initial $100 and make monthly contributions as well, which I think is awesome. We got to talking about how when people ask what to get her, I really can't think of a thing because she already has more stuff than she needs. And when I tell them she doesn't need anything, just coming to her party is gift enough, they start complaining that she has to have a gift.

Is it possible to tell people about her school savings account when they ask what she wants for her birthday without sounding greedy or demanding or whatever? Or does anyone have an idea of what else I can tell them?? We already have a zoo pass.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Is there a polite way to ask for money?

• Options
    I told family and close  friends that all DD needed was summer clothes and we want to enroll her in gymnastics. I think if it is family and the ask, why not.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I don't see anything wrong with telling them you would like that to be contributed to.  Or savings bonds.  I tell people that for ds if they are the type that would like that option.  Just say something like, "You know, she already has so much as far as toys go.  We would really like her savings account to grow and it is much more of a lasting gift" or something.

There will always be the people who have to get a toy though.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKateB1984:

Are YOU getting her toys?

I always have a problem with this, mainly because the people who have requested money usually still buy their child 4 or 5 gifts for their birthday, but tell everyone else they have too many toys and don't need anything. But of course the parents do it because gifts are more fun to give when a child gets excited about them!! If you think she has too many toys, can't you ask people for anything you would otherwise buy her, and put money into her savings yourself? If that feels wrong to you, then I think it's also wrong to ask other people to go it as their 'gift.'

I think part of gift giving is being able to pick something out with a child you love in mind and watch their face light up when they open it. For me, I would hint for books (since we have a TON of books but I don't think we can ever have too many), art stuff (cause it gets used up and doesn't add clutter), or "contributions to her education fund are always really appreciated." It puts the idea out there without outright saying "Please don't buy my kid a present - cash preferred."

Um, ok. We bought her a sand table/picnic table. No one I know would spend that kind of money on a gift for her. They all want $10-20 range ideas, and get irritated with me when I don't give them a list of ideas. I told some of them art supplies or outdoor toys. If they want to buy more things to add to her pile, that's fine. I'm not going to get pissed at someone for buying her some little people or a baby doll or something, but she already has 20 and everyone wants to be original. lol

I was just wondering if it's rude to say, "well, her uncle opened a school savings account, and if you want to contribute to that, here's the info."

• Options

IMO, unless it is immediate family (and even then I am not a fan) there is no polite way to ask for money. If she has enough toys I would ask for books, since you can never have too many, or clothes (if you have a lot, say you need clothes in the next size up for her to grow into)

• Options

I think as long as you throw that out there as one idea it's fine.  We're in pretty much the same boat.  DS will be asking for fall/winter clothes in 2T or 3T sizes, money for his college account, passes for the swimming pool, and maybe the zoo or children's muesum.  I also plan on getting rid of any of the toys he doesn't seem to love right before his b-day since I know we'll get some toys no matter what. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have asked family to contribute to their college funds.  They are both too young to know or care WHERE toys are coming from, but tehy both have so mand (and it IS possible to have too many books.  We can't house them anymore and have donated a TON because it is just extreme and wasteful.  We also live next door to the library).  I hate having a home cluttered with toys that neither of them play with.  I think it is completely fine to suggest (though not require) this of family and close friends.  Dor DS's 2nd birthday, we just requested NO gifts and had a party for him.  He didn't know any different.  Most of my friends do this.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    imageDevonPow:

IMO, unless it is immediate family (and even then I am not a fan) there is no polite way to ask for money. If she has enough toys I would ask for books, since you can never have too many, or clothes (if you have a lot, say you need clothes in the next size up for her to grow into)

I agree with this. Personally, I'd only bring it up If your immediate family asks.

Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

IMO, unless it is a family member, there's no polite way to ask for money, even if it's for a good cause like a 529.

Some ideas in the $10-20 range are books, crafts, PJs, place settings, beach towel, puppets, GC to Build-a-bear, water bottle (we use DD's Hello Kitty Sigg water bottle constantly and she likes having her own), movie tickets, kite, or accessories if you have something like a train table, doll house, etc.

We have a TON of toys - my mom sends stuff constantly and we buy DD things, too. It's annoying sometimes to watch my house turning into Toys R Us, but I always remind myself that it's a very short timespan that she'll actually play with toys. In 10 yrs from now, this stage will be completely over, so we might as well just jump in and enjoy it now!

Without getting too preachy, be grateful that there are so many people who love your DD and enjoy giving her things. They want to give her a gift that she can enjoy now, not in 16 years, which is perfectly reasonable.

• Options

IMO there is not a polite way to ask but that has never stopped me. If you don't want her to have more toys then tell them no toys. For our family and close friends who asked what DD needed we told them diapers, clothes for the next couple of months, and money for her savings account. If they ask then they should get a straight answer.

My house looks like Toys R Us too but I don't mind cause she'll only like these kinds of toys for a short while.

I think with friends and other guests it's trickier because they want to give something. Especially friends with no kids always assume that your kid must have a toy because she is a kid.

Just go with your gut but remember that people will end up buying whatever they want in the end.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

If someone asks you for a gift idea, you can say "she likes butterflies and trucks now, or you can contribute to her college savings account."  That way you're just offering it up as a suggestion and it's not a demand for money.  I wouldn't be offended if someone said that to me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKateB1984:

Are YOU getting her toys?

I always have a problem with this, mainly because the people who have requested money usually still buy their child 4 or 5 gifts for their birthday, but tell everyone else they have too many toys and don't need anything. But of course the parents do it because gifts are more fun to give when a child gets excited about them!! If you think she has too many toys, can't you ask people for anything you would otherwise buy her, and put money into her savings yourself? If that feels wrong to you, then I think it's also wrong to ask other people to go it as their 'gift.'

I think part of gift giving is being able to pick something out with a child you love in mind and watch their face light up when they open it. For me, I would hint for books (since we have a TON of books but I don't think we can ever have too many), art stuff (cause it gets used up and doesn't add clutter), or "contributions to her education fund are always really appreciated." It puts the idea out there without outright saying "Please don't buy my kid a present - cash preferred."

ETA: Our swimming pool and ice rink also have monthly or yearly passes. Maybe something like that would be a good gift? Tickets to a movie theater or mini-golf?

This!

• Options

Thanks for the extra ideas - puppets is a good one.:)

Oh and don't get me wrong, I'm grateful. I've just been getting phone calls for weeks and couldn't think of anything. And then when I had no suggestions it was 20 questions: does she have dolls and doll stuff? yes. does she have blocks? like 5 different sets. does she have a swimsuit? yeah, 4.

I'll just keep my mouth shut about the 529. lol They'd probably just say "well that's no fun!" anyway.

• Options
    There is no polite way to ask for cash, it is tacky tacky tacky! We have so many books in our house it looks like a library, my kids both love books and I think it is because they are surrounded by so many awesome ones. you can never ever have too many books.
  • Options

Hmm...basically, no. Unless its family and you're open talking about money like that. (My family is so I would have no problem just say "cash" when they ask me what she wants for her birthday- but that's just my family!)

Maybe you could use this as an opportunity to go through all of her toys and get rid of the unnecessary stuff- if you want money, you could sell them at a yard sale or to a consignment shop (or resale, like Once Upon a Child). If not, now might be a good time to teach your daughter about donating to people who are less fortunate.

• Options
    I would say, "she really doesn't need anything but if you'd like to get her something you can contribute what you would have spent on a gift to her 529."  Or something to that effect.
  • Options

I have the same problem that you do. My kids need nothing materialistic. We're overflowing with stuff that I'm desperate to get rid of.  Yet every time my MIL and SIL ask what my kids want for bdays & Christmas I'm quite honest with them and say, "they need nothing. Either don't get them anything or give them cash for college or to spend on vacation, or buy them a museum/zoo pass."  The response I always get is, "well, we want to get them something to open."  I always say, "fine, then, get them a pack or 2 of Matchbox cars because that's what they love, it's cheap, and if you have a quota, give the rest in cash so they can get something useful."  It doesn't matter what I say, they always end up giving them stuff that ends up being clutter, and I'm stuck dealing with Craigslist to try to get rid of them.

Yes, we do give our kids a present, but they are inexpensive presents, such as the aforementioned Matchbox cars.  Because really, they need nothing materialistic right now.  I would much rather relatives give $ to go towards a bigger purchase such as a trampoline, or a swing set because we need/want that more than say yet another pink outfit, or yet another ride on toy...which we had 6 of at one time...for 2 kids. Tell me that's not excessive, cluttering, and money better spent elsewhere.  I donated 3 and I'm still trying to get rid of one on CL that I haven't had any luck with.

I wish I could help you but I can't even get my ILs to listen to me in this regard.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"