Baby Names
Options

Rethinking the names, once again! Boy names for girls?

So DH and I are thinking of non traditional names. We both have very non traditional names so naturally we want something different for our little one. We have a strong feeling this little one is a girl, so we have really thought out the girl names. 

Girl-

1.Addison Rose or Addison Margaret

2.Avery Rose or Addison Margaret

3. Dylan Ainsley 

4. Austin Marie 

5. James Ainsley 

Boy-

1.  Mason Aria

2. Logan James

3. Cameron Liam

4. Gavin Aria

5. Dylan James

Re: Rethinking the names, once again! Boy names for girls?

• Options
    I really dislike boys names for girls, particularly Austin and James. I would choose Addison if I had to. Or Avery. I like Gavin and Dylan for a boy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hmmm I should have mentioned that my first name is Austin. LOL to each their own!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekuma08:
    Hmmm I should have mentioned that my first name is Austin. LOL to each their own!

Sorry, that is just my opinion - but knowing that I definitely wouldn't name your daughter after you, that is weird to me.

• Options
    imageandrea922:

imagekuma08:

Sorry, that is just my opinion - but knowing that I definitely wouldn't name your daughter after you, that is weird to me.

Typically I would not however I am named after my grandmother and she after hers, thus the strong family name! I see your point though 

• Options

I hate most of your "girl" names (I say that in quotes because they are actually boy names).  Dylan, Austin and esp. James are not nontraditional names.  They are trendy and/or traditional boy names.  The idea of James on a girl makes me ill. I like Avery.  At least people will know your daughter is female. 

Your boy names are better.  I like all the first names.  Aria is a very feminine.  

• Options

Wow I think I should go to the court house and change my own name AUSTIN immediately... Damn parents and grandparents...

I personally like my name as it kinda gave me an edge growing up. But to each their own!

Thanks ladies 

• Options
    wow if you want my honest opinion none of your first names are very "different"  in fact I think most of them are probably in the top 100..  I don't like the "boys as girls names" thing.  pick something unusual and beautiful.. not something common for the opposite sex...
  • Options
    I love the idea of different names! Austin is a beautiful name for a girl! My husband has a very nontraditional name too: Tristan. Go with you gut, whatever you love most, even if it is James for a little girly. Don't listen to the overly judgmental crowd. Boring and common names are things of the past.
  • Options

Of your girl names - I like Dylan the best.   Of your boy names - I like Mason the best with Logan and Gavin just behind that.

As far as naming your daughter a 'boy' name - don't let the other posters get to you!   Naming your baby is you ultimately your and your husband/SO's decision!

We are considering Aiden for a girl!

• Options

imagezmochafocax:
    I love the idea of different names! Austin is a beautiful name for a girl! My husband has a very nontraditional name too: Tristan. Go with you gut, whatever you love most, even if it is James for a little girly. Don't listen to the overly judgmental crowd. Boring and common names are things of the past.

Saying I don't like boys names for girls is not judgmental, it is my opinion. I see you are new on here - the whole point of asking for opinions is to get them. You don't get to say only those who agree should respond. I think boys names for girls is lame. MY opinion.

• Options

I don't like boy names for girls. I would choose Avery Rose, because I think that one sounds the most feminine.

For your boy names, I love Logan James (we have a Logan David!). I also really like Gavin, and Dylan and Mason are okay too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Options
    Opinions are great; I simply do not see the need in being rude about them. I don?t see why my ?newbie? status has anything to do with it. My opinion is that you are rude, and that, my friend, is lame.
  • Options

imagezmochafocax:
    Opinions are great; I simply do not see the need in being rude about them. I don?t see why my ?newbie? status has anything to do with it. My opinion is that you are rude, and that, my friend, is lame.

I wasn't rude to her. I told her that I didn't care for boys names for girls, and out of her names I would choose blank and blank. If you think that is rude you need a thicker skin to be on this board. And I could care less what you think about me.

• Options

imagezmochafocax:

You're lame, Newb.

Boy names for girls are NMS too. I like Avery and Gavin best. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

I think Austin & James are the only ones that haven't successfully made the jump at this point, but I don't think Austin is awful.  Of your girl names, I like Dylan best.

Of your boy names, I like Dylan best also.  :-)

ETA: I just read all of the posts and see that your fn is Austin.  I like the idea of carrying on tradition.  Good luck!

• Options
    I hope you have a boy.
  • Options

Most of these names are fine but if you are going for different you are barking up the wrong tree. Nearly all of these are in the top 50 and some are particularly trendy, like Addison, Avery and Logan. So the only thing "different" would be if you named a girl James, which is just odd.

Have you checked out the book Beyond Ava and Aiden? It's full of clever name ideas. Also, Baby Name Wizard.

• Options
    Yeah, none of those names are really "different," and naming girls boy names is getting to be pretty trendy too.  So eh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have a hard time seeing James and Austin as girls names, but I love the rest of your choices. Ainsley is my absolute favorite girls name, would you consider that as a first name (and you could even do James as a middle)?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Avery Rose is a great little girl's name and my fav of your list.  

I know you love your own first name, but I wouldn't give my daughter the same first name as me, no matter how much I loved it.  It looks arrogant and pretentious imo.  I know it's a double standard b/c guys name their first son after them all the time, and while I don't like that either, I like it better than a daughter with her mom's name.  Think about it. You were given your grandmother's name (nice) not your mom's name (weird). 

I love Gavin for your boy name!  However, Gavin Aria sounds like a disease.  "Hey doc, I've got this rash. I think it might be Gavin Aria."   ;) Would you consider Gavin James instead?  GL

• Options

I love all your boy names, except not Aria as a middle name.

But sorry, I really don't care for Dylan, Austin and James for a girl. Maybe as a middle name, though. I think Avery and Addiston are NMS but I wouldn't give a girl with those names the side-eye.

I also really like Ainsley and think Ainsley James is pretty cute! But I think outside of the fact I really dislike James as a first name for a girl, James Ainsley just sounds awkward and rhymey.

FWIW, I dislike naming children after their parents. My DH is a junior and we have absolutely no interest in naming a child after him. 

imageimage

• Options

I'm a big fan of boys names for girls.  My favorites on your list are Avery, Addison and Dylan, in that order.  I love the name Austin, but could see how that would be confusing to have two of you under one roof.  Have you considered it for a mn?  I like the sound of "Avery Austin" if it goes with your LN.  Cute.

For boys I love Mason!  Aria is nms, but it goes great with Mason.

Good luck in picking a name!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't care for Dylan or Gavin. Also not big on Addison - it sounds incomplete to me. Love Avery, Austin, Cameron, Logan, and James for a girl or boy.

S/O of James for a girl..........am I the only here who remember James King, the model? James doesn't seem odd to me for a girl.

• Options

Out of your girl names I Love Dylan Ainsley! Boys I like Gavin. Not a fan of Aria, but its not a bad name.

• Options
    imagemoonfaerie:

I don't care for Dylan or Gavin. Also not big on Addison - it sounds incomplete to me. Love Avery, Austin, Cameron, Logan, and James for a girl or boy.

S/O of James for a girl..........am I the only here who remember James King, the model? James doesn't seem odd to me for a girl.

The model's name is actually Jaime, not James. She changed it because her agency already represented a Jaime King. 

• Options

I really hope you have a boy.

Please don't name a daughter James.

• Options

I don't mind boys names on girls, so some of these are okay for me if that's your style.

I like the tradition of passing down Austin, since that's your name, but I would move it to the MN spot. I like James in the MN spot too. James Marsden, the actor (looove him :) named his little girl Mary James and I think that's adorable.

The boy names are just ok to me. They don't stand out, but there's nothing wrong with them. Cameron Liam flows the best from that list, IMO.

• Options
    imageGulfCoaster:

I really hope you have a boy.

Please don't name a daughter James.

I really dislike when people say this.

I had someone say that to me because they didn't like they name Nikolai. I find it rude to hope for a persons baby to be a different gender only because YOU don't like the name.

It's your child and in the end, you and your DH/SO make the decision.

Me: 25  DH: 30
    Married: September 21, 2013

1.0 November 30, 2010
    2.0 February 17, 2015
    3.0 EDD June 18, 2016

• Options
    imageLdySprtn:

Of your girl names - I like Dylan the best.   Of your boy names - I like Mason the best with Logan and Gavin just behind that.

As far as naming your daughter a 'boy' name - don't let the other posters get to you!   Naming your baby is you ultimately your and your husband/SO's decision!

We are considering Aiden for a girl!

go with your gut...  remember people on the bump will always give criticism an its not always constructive.. so go with what you and our husband like. 

my husband and i decided on a girl and boys name when we found out we were pregnant and did not ask for opinions or advice!  to much to deal with, especially on here!

• Options
    I actually like boy names for girls, but I'm not a fan of James or Austin for a girl. I do like Dylan and Avery a lot though.  I LOVE all of your boy names.
  • Options

I guess Avery Rose. Dylan, Austin, and James are BOYS names.

I like Mason, Logan and Gavin for your boys. 

• Options

Regarding the name Austin:

I like that you want to carry on a tradition, but as far as I can tell, the tradition skips a generation. Let baby Ainsley name her daughter Austin after YOU (if she is so inclined)! Wink

BTW: in case you couldn't tell, my favorite name, out of the girls group you listed is your mn choice of Ainsley. Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"