Baby Names
Options

Family middle name - is it terrible?

DH and I agree on a name if LO is a boy - David.  We both love that name.

DH is insisting that the middle name be Mates (Mah-tehs), which is a family name for generations in his family, and his grandfather's name, to whom he was very close.

Is it awful? David Mates?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Family middle name - is it terrible?

• Options
    I don't think he'll have a problem when he tells other people his mn.  But when it comes to graduations and such, I could see a lot of mispronunciations.
    Asher Thomas 5.19.10
    Miles Edmund 12.29.11
    Liam Robert 1.21.14
    Baby 4...ok probably another boy here haha 9.20.15
  • Options

imagesept9107bride:
    I don't think he'll have a problem when he tells other people his mn.  But when it comes to graduations and such, I could see a lot of mispronunciations.

This. But I don't think it's too bad at all. Go with it!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's ok. But, I think as a middle name AND a family name, you're good! The significance alone makes it worth it to use it! It's a great honour to his grandfather and I would use it.
  • Options
    it's cool to have a family name, but everyone is going to mispronounce it.  BUT how often do you really have to make sure someone knows how to pronounce your middle name?  At your wedding is the only thing I can think of.  :)
  • Options
    It's not terrible, but I'd probably go with something else. No matter how it's pronounced, it's still spelled like mates.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Because it is a family name I think it is okay.
  • Options
    use it.  family names for middle names are great!  At least they have meaning....I will be using my maiden name or my mother's maiden name no matter what for all children.
    Cricket's Cadence
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I really like David, and I say use the family name for the middle name. If it was a first name, the pronunciation would be a bigger issue, but I don't see the big deal when it is the middle name that is rarely said. I'm a big fan of using family names as middle names (that's what we did).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Options
    I actually really like it.  Yes, it will probably be mispronounced, but it's the middle name.  It won't get used that often.
  • Options

No, I think it's totally fine.  People will mispronounce it though, but for a mn I don' t think that is as big a deal.

BFP#1 - 08/30/09 - m/c - 10/2/09 7w4d
    BFP #2 - 11/4/09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My Book Blog
  • Options
    I don't like it.  But it's a family name, so you'll have a hard time taking YH out of it.  Good luck!
  • Options

As others have said, it's a beautiful thing to use a family name as a middle name. Because it's a middle name you will RARELY have to use it (I hardly know any of my friends' middle names). Also, many middle names these days are the mothers' surnames, so people are used to seeing middle names that don't look like the usual first name. As far as graduation/weddings go (which are some of hte only times people are going to use his full name ) my judge and dean ASKED us how our names were pronounced before they said them. 

I say go with it. David is a great name too, btw.

• Options
    I don't think it's bad at all.  Using family names great.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageBelleBaby:
    I actually really like it.  Yes, it will probably be mispronounced, but it's the middle name.  It won't get used that often.

This exactly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's not a great name, but the fact that it's a family name outweighs any of that, imo.  I love naming traditions like that.  It will definitely be mispronounced, but how often do people use their middle name anyway?  It's fine.  It's definitely not awful :)
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

not awful.

or terrible.

• Options
    Family names are important to me too so if I want to use one I will, I don't care if anyone can say it or not.
  • Options
    I prefer a "different" middle name with meaning over a "normal" middle name that is just thrown in there because it sounds good!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"