Preemies
Options

friend is a new preemie mom - care package idea?

Hi, my friend just had her baby - I believe she was right around 30 weeks.  The baby is doing ok - she was able to get two steroid shots for her lung development and is 3 lbs 5 ounces.  I know they will be in the NICU for a little while so I wanted to give her a care package for herself and some things for the baby.  She hasn't had her shower yet but I assume it will still go on so she'll get stuff for when the baby comes home.  Any suggestions on what I can (or should not) get her for while they are dealing with the NICU stay?  TIA

Re: friend is a new preemie mom - care package idea?

• Options

The book 'Preemies; The essential guide for parents of premature infants', we looked at our NICU's copy often, but I would have really liked to own a copy.

• Options

For Mom and Dad-I would get gas cards and gift cards to restaurants near the hospital.  If there is a way to prepay for parking that also would be great.  Snacks and magazines are something that many people like.  She will be pumping and I found that I didn't have enough supplies for that.  Breast pads, extra bottles, sterilizing bags ect.  I found that having 3 sets was so much nicer and less stressful.  Someone also sent us our diaper bag (off the registry) which we used to carry our things back and forth to the hospital every day.  Also I wish we had a preemie journal to write things down in.

For the baby our nicu let us use our own blankets in the isolette and that made it more homey so some nice recieving blankets would be nice.  If you knit my sister made a hat for Ella and we loved that. She was 2lb 5oz at birth and used a lemon as a guide for size.

They put fleece blankets over the isolettes and my mom made one special for Ella with her name on it.  We use it every day for a play mat now and I love how it has been with her from day one. https://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-a-Blanket

Clothes are tricky but most nicus let them wear clothes at some point we loved the carters preemie sleep n plays, zutano itsy bitsy, and early birds micro preemie stuff.  I personally would send an outfit but other people say don't bother.  I guess it is a personal preference thing.  We also had a small stuffed toy in her isolette that was nice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had my baby at 30 weeks too.   He was in the NICU for 7 weeks and the biggest thing that was a help to me was the people that sent food.  One of the best gifts was an edible arrnagement and another where GC near the hospital.  

I wouldn't bother with baby stuff right now save that for when she comes home.  Since she didn't have a shower yet she most likey will get tons of preemie clothes at the shower and blankets.  

The bigest thing you can do is stay in contact as much as you can.  I couldn't always answer and return phone calls but, loved getting text message from family and friends just lettingme know that they were there. 

10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....
  • Options

We got a big basket of snacks from my coworkers and it was great since we really didnt have time nor the appetite to eat much. Also gift cards for restaurants near the hospital are great as well as gas cards.

For baby - nice fleece blankets are great.  Usually they will let you put your own blankets in the isolette and the heavy fleece ones are great for when the baby comes out of the isolette and into a regular bassinet since they will help keep them warm.  Also maybe a small stuffed animal.  We kept a little frog in Lily's bed to watch over her and the nurses made a little game out of moving him all around her bed.  Sometimes we would come in and the frog would be on top of her. It always made us laugh.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wrote a post about this on my preemie parenting blog Preemie Babies 101.  Just follow the link:

Ideas for a NICU Care Basket

When Your Friend Has a Preemie

I hope your friend's baby grows strong and healthy!

• Options
    thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice and suggestions.
  • Options

i've got a few posts on my blog about this too.. (under "new to the nicu")

one of the coolest care packages i got was from a family who had also had a preemie. it was a basket that had magazines and snacks for me (for the room and while i was pumping.) a sign that said our dd's name and birth day/weight etc. for the isolette, and a book about raising preemies.

gift cards are great to places to eat in the area as well as gas cards... even though we lived (relatively to some) close, we spent a huge amount on gas going back and forth a few times a day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"