Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Not being able to feed my son.

Is the worst feeling ever. I need to ask my mom for 25 dollars tomorrow so I can buy some formula. DH got paid last Friday and by sun we were already overdrawn. Why do groceries have to cost so much? I try to feed my son vegetables and meals from scratch because I want what's best for him. Am I supposed to buy boxed dinners and cans of soup? Because it's getting to the point where that's what's gonna need to take place. Why are all the nutricious foods so expensive? I am so overwhelmed. I can't go back to work. I have noone to watch my kids. Plus I wouldn't even make enough to pay for daycare. I've been going over my relatives house a few days a week because they have food! Luckily dh is working some overtime tonight to help us out but they barely call him for it because he is simply not needed as often as a medic or lieutenant. I'm praying this will turn the corner. I don't care if I can't afford new clothes for myself or to be able to go out to dinner once a week. I don't care. But when I can't feed my own two children? What am I supposed to do? Vent/frustration over for tonight.

Re: Not being able to feed my son.

• Options
    Are you able to qualify for WIC or any other assistance program?  What kind of formula do you use?  I have 2 cans of Similac (Advance and Isomil) I just got a couple of weeks ago from the Strong Moms program.  You want them, they're yours. 
  • Options

What a bummer; I am sorry to hear this. Is there a food pantry in your area? Maybe check out if you area has Angel Foods, its a lot of food at cheap prices (no income guidelines either).  Can you apply for WIC or food stamps?  It might suck to be on government assistance but at least your kids are feed.   

Also, honestly I drop my internet too just to make sure my kiddos ate.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSamsMom91:
    Are you able to qualify for WIC or any other assistance program?  What kind of formula do you use?  I have 2 cans of Similac (Advance and Isomil) I just got a couple of weeks ago from the Strong Moms program.  You want them, they're yours. 
    I don't think we qualify. DH makes good money. BUT by the time health insurance, retirement, union, taxes and a few other things are taken out each week, it's barel enough to survive. DS uses gerber good start, but there is no room for me to be picky. I would gladly take anything you have, that you do not need. Thank you so much. I quit breastfeeding two weeks ago because DS spit up nonstop and was very constipated. And I was having some depression. Now I feel like a bad mom because I can't buy him food.
  • Options

imageFiremn'sFlame:
    imageSamsMom91:
    I don't think we qualify. DH makes good money. BUT by the time health insurance, retirement, union, taxes and a few other things are taken out each week, it's barel enough to survive. DS uses gerber good start, but there is no room for me to be picky. I would gladly take anything you have, that you do not need. Thank you so much. I quit breastfeeding two weeks ago because DS spit up nonstop and was very constipated. And I was having some depression. Now I feel like a bad mom because I can't buy him food.

Check the guidelines. I believe you can make up to $45,000 for a family of 4 (around there). We would actually qualify, but we live in a really low cost of living area and do okay, so I'd rather not take it if not needed.

Send me your address in a PM and I'll get that stuff out to you as soon as I get a chance. No problem. I signed up for the Similac program because I wanted stuff to trade for Enfamil checks. I knew I'd get the Similac sample formula and not have anything to do with it because DS2 eats Enfamil Gentlease. I'm happy to send it your way if it helps.

• Options
    Can you go to the generic kind of formula like Walmart's Parent's Choice or Target's Up and Up?  I have 4 of the 2 oz. bottles of Enfamil Lipil and a can of the Enfamil Soy. I am breastfeeding and do not need them.  We tried them with my son because of his reflux, and he just did worse so I am still breastfeeding.
  • Options
    imageshopgirl78:

What a bummer; I am sorry to hear this. Is there a food pantry in your area? Maybe check out if you area has Angel Foods, its a lot of food at cheap prices (no income guidelines either).  Can you apply for WIC or food stamps?  It might suck to be on government assistance but at least your kids are feed.   

Your childrens faces made me smile. They're so precious. See my last reply in refernce to wic. I'll look up angle foods though. I've never heard of it. I only use my iPhone for Internet. My house is kinda like an apartment building. My family rents out the basement, my mom and dad are on the middle level and my bro and Sis-in-law live upstairs. We are all healping eachother out in this economy. So I can't really say I wanna drop cable or Internet because everyone else uses it too. You know what I mean? Thank you for your suggestions.
  • Options
    imageSamsMom91:

imageFiremn'sFlame:
    imageSamsMom91:

Check the guidelines. I believe you can make up to $45,000 for a family of 4 (around there). We would actually qualify, but we live in a really low cost of living area and do okay, so I'd rather not take it if not needed.

Send me your address in a PM and I'll get that stuff out to you as soon as I get a chance. No problem. I signed up for the Similac program because I wanted stuff to trade for Enfamil checks. I knew I'd get the Similac sample formula and not have anything to do with it because DS2 eats Enfamil Gentlease. I'm happy to send it your way if it helps.

I believe DH makes 50,000 a year. I wish all of that came to us though. Life would be so much easier. Thank you again. You are so sweet. I will send you a PM.
  • Options
    If you think you can use them I would be more than happy to send them to you.  I have been trying to find someone who can use them.  Just send me your address.
  • Options

imageFiremn'sFlame:
    imageSamsMom91:

WIC takes all that into consideration.  Call and make an appointment and see.  Bring all your paper work and show them that you are just barely making it.  Also, they will help to provide: formula, other nutrious (sp?) food for you/DH/ and your other child.  They are VERY strict on what foods you can and can't get, but it helps a ton.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.  It's the reason we decided to get WIC (and we only plan on being on it until I find work).  For two months, I barely ate so I could leave food for DH since he was working so much.  We ate mostly spagghetti (pasta and sauce is considerably cheap and for 2 people will last a few days), soup, mac & cheese... It sucked.  It made me feel like the biggest failure.  But we're making it a day at a time. It happens, and some of the self rightous people on these boards don't understand what it's like to be in these situations.  You'll make it through it.  Just stay strong.  ::hugs::

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

www.angelfoodministries.com

There are no income guidelines for this.  DH and I did it once before we had children.  It's a decent program, but we weren't a fan of a lot of the food we got (the canned and boxed stuff), so we didn't do it again.  It was a great deal for the money, though! 

• Options

I have heard of women qualifying for WIC on their own without their DH. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Can you plant a garden and try to grow some stuff yourself? I would call your Pedi and ask them for samples. Explain the situation, I know mine would help with samples if I asked. Is there any way yo u can make stuff to sell online? Or maybe get a part time job on the weekends when your DH is home?

I hope you figure something out.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    I have a buy one get on free coupon for Goodstart worth $16, let me know if you want it. :)  I use emfamil so it does not help me.
    MY BLOG image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    And for goodness sake, you're NOT a failure!  Most of us are a major life event away from financial disaster.  Hang in there.  We're here to help and offer support.  If you can't vent your frustrations to perfect internet strangers, who can you vent to? 
  • Options
    imageMrsCarroll.6-10-07:

I have heard of women qualifying for WIC on their own without their DH. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Can you plant a garden and try to grow some stuff yourself? I would call your Pedi and ask them for samples. Explain the situation, I know mine would help with samples if I asked. Is there any way yo u can make stuff to sell online? Or maybe get a part time job on the weekends when your DH is home?

I hope you figure something out.

My mom is planting a garden now actually. She does so every year and it has helped a bit. I will check out WIC and see if we qualify. Thank you very much.

• Options
    Thank you ladies so very much! I am in tears over your compassion for others.I hope you girls have a good night with your families. I think I will be able to get some sleep now after all.
  • Options

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this.  I actually have a can of Nestle Goodstart formula that I haven't used.  I will be happy to send it to you.  Just PM me your address and I will send it on your way!

::hugs::

• Options
    i also have some free samples of similac. i bf so if you'd like then please PM me. Things will work out! I know its always easier to say than do but stay optimistic.
  • Options
    You might be surprised what you qualify for. It wouldn't hurt to make an appointment at the public assistance office and see. You are the type of person many of the programs are meant for. There's a lot of help out there. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have a pregnancy center nearby? I know the one where we live gives diapers and formula free to families who need help buying them.
  • Options
    nickiclnickicl member

imageFiremn'sFlame:
    imageSamsMom91:

I think there have been many articles written about eating healthier foods inexpensively.  Usually the guidelines involve buying whats in season and eating leftovers.  You might want to check something like https://www.takepart.com/news/blogs/hungry   

Also, I know you have to make choices and I know conventional wisdom says that retirement is an important one but I'm not sure if it trumps being able to eat good now to take care of your health for the future?  Don't mean to play capt'n obvious here but do you work or have you considered any other methods for trying to scrape up a little extra cash such as selling something?  I don't know your case but there are lots of people who don't even realize where their money is going or how much more time and $ they would have by doing something as simple as giving up cable tv?  So I hope you can find some creative solutions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageFiremn'sFlame:
    imageSamsMom91:

Been there, and it does suck.  I'm so sorry.  DH is working two jobs for us to get by, and would be ok, except one of his old college debts came back to bite him and his wages are being garnished.  DH cut things like contributing to his 401K for now because feeding and clothing his family was more of a priority.  Once we get things back on track, he can start again, but for the time being, it was the best choice.  Can your DH do something like that?  I know you can't do anything about union dues.  I'd cut out any unnecessary things like cable, internet, and anything that is a non-necessity.  Like I said, I know it totally sucks, but when you need the money to feed your kids those sacrifices are totally worth it.  Someday you'll look back on this and see how you were stretched and grew as a person.  Sometimes life just happens and it's not so nice.  I would send you formula if I still had the samples the hospital gave me, but I donated it. 

• Options
    imageSamsMom91:

www.angelfoodministries.com

There are no income guidelines for this.  DH and I did it once before we had children.  It's a decent program, but we weren't a fan of a lot of the food we got (the canned and boxed stuff), so we didn't do it again.  It was a great deal for the money, though! 

EXCELLENT idea!  Our church does this and it's been great!  You really get a lot of food for a small amount of money!

• Options
    imageFiremn'sFlame:
    imageshopgirl78:

Your childrens faces made me smile. They're so precious. See my last reply in refernce to wic. I'll look up angle foods though. I've never heard of it. I only use my iPhone for Internet. My house is kinda like an apartment building. My family rents out the basement, my mom and dad are on the middle level and my bro and Sis-in-law live upstairs. We are all healping eachother out in this economy. So I can't really say I wanna drop cable or Internet because everyone else uses it too. You know what I mean? Thank you for your suggestions.

Since that's not a living necessity, you could tell them you're not going to use it, so you're not paying for it.  Really, it comes down to what's most important to you.  Not wanting to upset your family or feeding your kids.

• Options
    I'm sorry but did everyone miss her post about her iphone? DH's iphone costs over a $100 a month. Ditch the iphone and get a cheaper phone! I'm sorry you're having a hard time but get your priorities straight.
  • Options

imagecma1989:
    I'm sorry but did everyone miss her post about her iphone? DH's iphone costs over a $100 a month. Ditch the iphone and get a cheaper phone! I'm sorry you're having a hard time but get your priorities straight.

I saw that too.  The $30 data package alone would cover a couple cans of generic formula, or close to it.  We may be facing some extremely difficult financial times coming up, and DH's first thing was "I can sell my blackberry and get a cheaper phone.'  He's already started calling around for cheaper cable or dish plans, cheaper internet, I've put my wedding dress on craigslist, he's selling a fish tank he doesn't really want to sell, and we're going to have a garage sale to get rid of as much as possible.  When you hit hard times, you do what you have to regardless of what you might want.  When you're a parent, you sacrifice for your kids.  I felt sorry for her till I saw that she has an iPhone.  Not only that, but she could tell the rest of the family that lives there that they won't use the cable or internet so they aren't paying for it.  I can't see how that should be a problem since the priority would be taking care of the kids.

• Options

OP, there is a "Money Matters" board on the nest and the ladies there are very helpful.  Realistically you have to prioritize your budget.  If you can get help from WIC, local churches, bumpies, etc that's AWESOME, but your "nice to haves" inevitably have to be below your "must haves."  Internet connectivity, iphone, etc . . . all fall behind feeding your children.  Also, you mention that you have family renting out part of your home.  Between DH's income and your rental income, I am almost positive that you can find a way to feed your children.  It may not come without sacrifice, but you can totally do it!  Check out the Money Matters board, they are great over there!

And if I come across any formula checks, I'll PM you - I'd love to lend a hand if I can help.

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Options
    Here is a great website for cooking healthy/cheap. ?There are over 138 recipes alone for under $.25 per serving. ?https://recipefinder.nal.usda.gov/index.php
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"