Austin Babies

bf moms - increasing supply

My supply has taken a nosedive & I've had to dip into & deplete my freezer stash to keep up. I'm literally only one pump session ahead of DS (I only have 4oz in the freezer). I think maybe AF is on her way. Grrr... Anyway, I've never taken anything to increase my supply. Am eating oatmeal with minimal results.  Please rec your supplement & where you got it. I know fenugreek & more milk plus, but don't know if you're supposed to take both or, if not, which is better. What has your experience been? Thx!

Re: bf moms - increasing supply

• The only thing that really helped me was a dark beer. The LC recommended it and I was hesitant because I did not want to drink at all while BF'ing but I trusted her. Anyway. One dark beer a night and it really helped. Nothing else really helped. I tried the mothers milk, oatmeal, etc. One dark beer a night is the only thing that helped. But also make sure that you are getting plenty of calories, drinking lots of water and trying to get rest. Good luck!
  • The magic combination is fenugreek + blessed thistle.  I took MMP (about 3-4 times the recommended dosage on the bottle), and also took fenugreek and blessed thistle in pill form.

It also REALLY helped a lot to power pump and do breast compressions when pumping.  That helps drain you a lot more, so that signals your body to make more milk.  There is a lot of info about power pumping and breast compressions on Jack Newman's Breastfeeding site.  

GL!  I struggled with low supply for 6 1/2 months, so as far as milk-increasing efforts go,  you name it, I've done it.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the input! Do you buy fenugreek & blessed thistle where they sell herbal supplements ie will whole foods have them? Or do I need to go somewhere like special addition?  Interesting about the dark beer. I guess maybe I'll just smell like beer & waffles. ;) 
  • Stupid AF has decreased my supply really badly for about two days both times she has shown up. I wish she had stayed away longer! I take a double dose of MMP 3-4 times/day. It usually ups my supply within hours of the first dose. I also nurse them every 2ish hours to try to tell my body to make more milk. I buy the MMP with alcohol because I have heard it is more effective. I don't know that for sure since I haven't tried the other. I just figured I wouldn't take the chance.
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• imageheybabe:
    Thanks for the input! Do you buy fenugreek & blessed thistle where they sell herbal supplements ie will whole foods have them? Or do I need to go somewhere like special addition?  Interesting about the dark beer. I guess maybe I'll just smell like beer & waffles. ;) 

i got them at WF.

• The fenugreek capsules worked for me. Granted, I was taking about 3 pills 3-4 times a day, but it did work. MMP had no affect on my supply whatsoever.
  • hmmm...I think what I'm hearing is that what works for one person might not do anything for someone else. Got some Guiness. Think I'll start with that. ;) If that doesn't work I'll make a WF run for fenugreek/mmp and try to get outta there without blowing the entire monthly grocery budget... :) Thanks for the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"