North Florida Babies
Options

relocating to Jacksonville and need advice

My husband got offered a job in Jacksonville and we are considering moving from DC.  We know nothing about the area.  We have an almost one year old and would like to live in a nice family friendly neighborhood.  we will be renting the first year, if you could suggest a some ares to look that would be great.  Thanks!

Re: relocating to Jacksonville and need advice

• Options

For long term living, St Johns and Clay counties have better reputations for schools than Duval does. But, they are less convenient to downtown. Not ridiculously bad but something to consider. If you want to be pretty central to everything, I think Southside is an area to consider. I also love Avondale and San Marco. Both have a kind of small town feel despite being in the city. I would not live downtown. 

Jax is a geographically large city. Start with what is most important: schools, activities, location close to his job etc. Then, we can be a little more helpful. If you are interested, our realtors were a great help. I can pass along their ( it is a couple) info. 

GL! It will be a HUGE change but I think most of us are pretty happy here.  

• Options
    What part of DC are you in? It might help me think of a place close (as close as possible- LOVE DC and Jax is not very similar:)) to what you are use to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.  We live in a great neighborhood in Chevy Chase DC (upper NW).  We both LOVE it here as well, but we may not be able to pass up this job.  Thanks again.
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  Thing about what's important to you, at least for that short term first year renting.  Do you want to be close to DH's job?  Do you know where it's at?  Do you want to be centrally located, be close/away from the beach, shopping, schools, etc
  • Options
    East Arlington/Southside is a good place to start, but like the other moms said start with whats important to you ie. quality schools, distance to job etc.
  • Options

I agree with PP, in that Jax is geographically very large and spread out.  I'd come down and get acclimated to the area for at least a few months before deciding where to buy. 

Also, the Duval County School System is not great, if you're planning to be here until your kids go to school, I'd look in Clay or St. John's County, both are just south of Jax.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

Well, just from what I've heard from friends and seen on the news, the Westside and Northside are areas to steer clear of,lol. I live in an area referred to as Intracoastal West, and its a really nice area. About 5mins to go east to the beaches or 15-20mins to go west to downtown. Southside is pretty nice area too.

DSC04873-1 AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"