Breastfeeding

Advice needed (3rd tri. question)

Should I buy a breast pump now? Or should I wait till after LO is born to  see if I can do it? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice needed (3rd tri. question)

• You can buy one now if you want, but do NOT open the box or you'll be unable to return it. I'd wait if I were you, though. I was told by my lactaction consultant to not start pumping until after the third week anyway, so you don't hurt your supply.
  • I was given my pump (Ameda Purely Yours) beforehand. I don't know why the PP said pumping hurts your supply?? The nurse had me pumping in the hospital the first day postpartum to encourage my milk to come in. I've always been told that pumping increases your supply!

I guess it depends on your personality whether to get it before or not. I am definitely a planner and I wanted it early. I was glad to have it, b/c it did help my milk to come in and helped me build a full supply. If you are 100% committed to BFing I don't see why it would hurt to have it before LO arrives.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are set on BFing, I don't get why people say not to open the box.  I know I wouldn't have stopped BFing without pumping first.  But that's me.

I took mine out of the box, sterilized the parts, and was comfortable with how it worked before DD was born.  It made the actual pumping later less daunting

• I was (thankfully) given a pump by a friend.  If I recall correctly, I used it during the first week.  I would buy one and become familiar with how it works if you're committed to BFing (and pumping).  GL!

• I wish I never opened the box, so I could retun the one I got. Turns out I don't respond to the pump at all. Good thing I'm a SAHM!!
  • If you're committed to BFing, get it, open the box and sterilize it. Like pp...I can't imagine that I would have quit without at least trying the pump. I pumped on day 3 just to relieve a little engorgement (didn't mess with my supply at all...I EBF for 10 mo). I was soooooo annoyed that i had to get out the pump, read the directions and sterilize it when I just wanted to USE IT and relieve some pressure.
  • i think it was nice to have before. DS lost 10% of his weight while in hospital, so we had to pump to supplement after BF with pumped milk in a cup to him for a week so that he could regain to his birthweight. Glad I had it!
  • imageLenMont:
    If you're committed to BFing, get it, open the box and sterilize it. Like pp...I can't imagine that I would have quit without at least trying the pump. I pumped on day 3 just to relieve a little engorgement (didn't mess with my supply at all...I EBF for 10 mo). I was soooooo annoyed that i had to get out the pump, read the directions and sterilize it when I just wanted to USE IT and relieve some pressure.

Unless you're willing to quit bfing if things don't go smoothly off the bat (and odds are, they won't), you should defin. get the pump and sterilize the parts first. If you're on the fence about bfing in terms of your desire or commitment to it, waiting seems appropriate. I bought mine early as a sign of my dedication to trying multiple things before I'd give up on giving DS breastmilk.

• you can also rent one for the first month (from the hospital) and see how it goes.

I bought my Pump In Style before hand, I was really committed to BF'ing, but didnt open it until DS was about a week old and I knew my mlk had come in and BF'ing was well established.  

• I wouldn't buy one until you need it. With my little guy I never used it. It was such a wast of money. Really I used it once or twice. I loved nursing him so much! 
  • I would say rent one from the hospital and buy your pump when it goes on a good sale and don't open the box until you know it's going to work. Pumping too early on can give you oversupply which is actually a problem.

Unfortunately, most women don't end up bfing for too long, I'd hate it if I opened a pump and couldn't return it. It's better to be safe and sorry and waste $50 on the monthly rental than a few hundred.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"