Blended Families
Options

Need some ideas from you girls

DS, my mom and I leave on the train on the 12th. We will have a 12 hr train ride which is during all of DS's sleep time so he will have minimal awake time on the train. We then have a 3 hr drive to my grandmothers house. I mentioned to my mom that we go to Mcdonalds when we get off the train to let him run around and burn some energy. But I need ideas for the train and the car ride for DS.

Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

Re: Need some ideas from you girls

• Options
    Wow! You're brave Susie! That's about all I have for you. Well that, and GL!!!
  • Options

He's kinda young, but how does he do with movies? If you brought a portable DVD would he watch it? That was my saving grace with SS on a 22 hour drive... if you don't mind the same Scooby-Doo movie on repeat (his favorite, lol).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

How old is DS?  I have made too many long trips with young kids, so I feel your need.  A lot comes down to age.  Coloring books (the color wonder stuff by crayola is awesome) are always a good idea.  Or you can get cheap ones form the dollar store, that way if they get lost/destroyed it's not a big deal.  If it's night time glow sticks/bracelets are a cheap fun toy (yes a bit annoying but...).  I also bought my kids travel pillows of thier own.  target has ones that have little animal heads on them so they double as stuffed animals too! I make sure the younger ones have a small blanket.  And of course some snacks.  Sometimes what I'll do is stop at the gas station on the way out and let them each choose one snack of thier picking BUT they dont' get it until I say so.  It's a good incentive to keep them quiet/calm or as a reward when they have been doing well. Or simply as a distraction when you hit "that point".  If you have a portable DVD player or something similar that is always nice also.

I hope these are appropriate for the age of you DS.

GL!

• Options
    DS is 20 months old. He's my crazy man, haha. Anyway, I was planning on taking my notebook so he can watch some movies if need be and we just bought him a "new" mickey mouse book that has an erasable sketch pad on it. I guess he saw it at my moms and fell in love, ha. I'm glad my mom is going though too because I don't know that I could do the train by myself.
    Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

• Options
    imagetifanico:

We took DD on a 14 hour car drive. She slept most of the time. When she was awake we took a DVD player so she could watch the Backyardigans, she never gets tired of that!!

We got her a new doll and she was just fascinated by it. Im guessing any new toy would be great for him.

I am going to (ashamedly) admit that I have that theme song as a ring tone on my phone, and I sometimes watch it when SS isn't around.Embarrassed LOVE THAT SHOW! haha

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    IlumineIlumine member

I do this carp all of the time, between cross ocean trips and long road trips.

1. portable dvd player with age apropriate dvds (fun songs).  Now I am an anti tv mommy, but for the sanity of all involved, I will bow to the video screen
    2. get a handful of brand new, extra cool toys.  Dole them out, one at a time ONLY when he gets cranky, not bored with the other toy or being in the carseat.  Action figures with lots of bendy arms/legs are good, as well as a new book that he can actually destroy (those flap books are good)
    3. extra special treats!  Monkey has some treats that she ONLY gets when we are traveling (gerber melts, gerber gummy bear type candy things, rice crispy treats).  The melts and gummy bear things are given out one at at time - slowly.  It can take 30 minutes.  And the rice crispy treat, while sticky, will take her 45 minutes to get through!  So worth the quiet
    4. Have other books to read to him.

We did a 5 hour trip with Monkey during her wide awake time just a couple weeks ago.  We rocked the trip.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"