Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Does rooting always equal hunger?

LO is rooting and crying so much tonight!! I've been feeding him around every hour and a half, and he goes at my boob like he's starving. However, he has also had really bad gas all day, so that makes me nervous about feeding him so much. Could his "hungry" behavior actually be due to something besides hunger? I don't want to make his tummy problems worse.

P.S. I've been giving him gas drops and tried gripe water a couple hours ago. Neither seem to be working much... He is sleeping on Daddy right now, but still wakes up periodically to scream and cry for 30 seconds or so before falling right back asleep with some shushing.

I guess another question I have is: how long does it take to figure out what LO's cries mean??? :( 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Does rooting always equal hunger?

• I think it is trial and error. Matthew roots when he has gas. His tummy is hard as a rock and he roots. I usually burp him and after he burps I offer my breast. If he takes it fine and if he doesn't then he wasn't hungry.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There is a growth spurt that can happen anywhere between 10 days to 3 weeks.  Rooting either means hunger or comfort.  They generally (but not always) don't get upset tummies from overeating because they just spit up the excess.  That is how they regulate intake.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • my LO's hungry cry sounds like uh-huh, uh-huh, I've heard other tiny babies making exactly the same sound when hungry, that's rhe only one that I've figured out Big Smile

• imageKelly-renee:

my LO's hungry cry sounds like uh-huh, uh-huh, I've heard other tiny babies making exactly the same sound when hungry, that's rhe only one that I've figured out Big Smile

That's what Jack used to do. Now he really doesn't do anything unless it's been over 3 hours- then he cries. But I pretty much feed him every 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"