Military Families

Shelly

I'm just wondering why you let your father influence your choice of branch so much.  If you had already set on the Army, why change because he said to?

Just curious. 

Re: Shelly

• I didn't change solely based because he told me. 

I never really thought about any branch besides the Army because that is all I knew. I talked about joining the Army with my father and he suggested looking into the Air Force.

I think this is pretty normal for most people who join the military. They have an idea of a branch they want to go into, they talk to a recruiter and than decide if it is right for them or not. 

After talking both to the Air Force recruiter and Army.. I decided I rather join the Air Force.

• Nope, not most people actually, I knew since I was 10 years old I wanted to join the Marine Corps. So at 17 I talked to a recrutier and signed the papers a week later with parental consent. 

But one of my friends wanted to join when I did, but listened to his dad, and joined the the Air Force instead, and to this day tells me he shouldnt have.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sure Ojo is jumping with joy that this is just a hypothetical question.

Did your dad tell you the AF was a better branch? Smarter? Better perks? 

• image1momma:

Nope, not most people actually, I knew since I was 10 years old I wanted to join the Marine Corps. So at 17 I talked to a recrutier and signed the papers a week later with parental consent. 

But one of my friends wanted to join when I did, but listened to his dad, and joined the the Air Force instead, and to this day tells me he shouldnt have.

Let's be friends. K? k. 

• imagemrsdc701:

I'm sure Ojo is jumping with joy that this is just a hypothetical question.

My dad is not in the AF and didn't tell me any of those things.  

• imageshellyxo:
    imagemrsdc701:

So did he tell you it was easier then (which isn't true)?? I'm just dying to know why he was so against the Army. 

• image1momma:

Nope, not most people actually, I knew since I was 10 years old I wanted to join the Marine Corps. So at 17 I talked to a recrutier and signed the papers a week later with parental consent. 

Hey! I was the same way, I knew I wanted to join the Coast Guard since I was about 10 too...

I had several different people try to talk to me out of it (army, air force, and navy recuiters) and I told them no, I like the Coast Guard, cause I actually want to help people...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagehotmomma1:
    imageshellyxo:
    imagemrsdc701:

So did he tell you it was easier then (which isn't true)?? I'm just dying to know why he was so against the Army. 

He is still in the Army.. so I have no idea why.  

• image~LittleOne~:
    image1momma:

Hey! I was the same way, I knew I wanted to join the Coast Guard since I was about 10 too...

I had several different people try to talk to me out of it (army, air force, and navy recuiters) and I told them no, I like the Coast Guard, cause I actually want to help people...

I'm pretty sure every branch helps people.  

• imageshellyxo:
    imagehotmomma1:
    imageshellyxo:
    imagemrsdc701:

If he's in the Army, what the crap did he have to say about the AF that was so amazing you switched? That wasn't just hearsay since he has no experience in the AF? 

• I know when I had several different friends, tell me they were thinking of going into this service or that, I always ask them, Did you check out the other services? 

Just so they know they have other options out there.. (mostly it's when they tell me they only talked to that certain recruiter and no one else) 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagemrsdc701:
    imageshellyxo:
    imagehotmomma1:
    imageshellyxo:
    imagemrsdc701:

If he's in the Army, what the crap did he have to say about the AF that was so amazing you switched? That wasn't just hearsay since he has no experience in the AF? 

My dad isn't the kind of guy that says a lot. When I talked to him.. he listen to what I had to say and than he said "Have you looked into joining the Air Force?", I said "No" and than he said "Maybe you should look into another branch before you decide."

Really, that was our whole conversation about joining the Air Force instead of the Army.  

• imagemrsdc701:
    image~LittleOne~:
    image1momma:

I'm pretty sure every branch helps people.  

Ah but see, that is the Coast Guard's main mission, the rest its warfare first then humanitarian efforts. (most of the time not all, I'm not trying to discredit the other services efforts in helping people, But Coast Guard's Mission is Search and Rescue)

• I'm thinking if he's in the Army (still), why wouldn't he support his own branch?
  • image~LittleOne~:

I know when I had several different friends, tell me they were thinking of going into this service or that, I always ask them, Did you check out the other services? 

Just so they know they have other options out there.. (mostly it's when they tell me they only talked to that certain recruiter and no one else) 

I definitely think everyone should talk to a recruiter from every branch before joining. It's the smart thing to do. But picking one because dad told you to, doesn't seem like such a good idea. 

• imagemrsdc701:
    image~LittleOne~:

I know when I had several different friends, tell me they were thinking of going into this service or that, I always ask them, Did you check out the other services? 

I definitely think everyone should talk to a recruiter from every branch before joining. It's the smart thing to do. But picking one because dad told you to, doesn't seem like such a good idea. 

This is my point exactly. 

• Mrsdc and Hotmomma .. I love you guys. :)
  • imageshellyxo:
    Mrsdc and Hotmomma .. I love you guys. :)

I'm just going to take a guess and say that it's not reciprocated on either end.  But good try. 

• imagehotmomma1:
    I'm thinking if he's in the Army (still), why wouldn't he support his own branch?

I would tell everyone to check out every service, but I would never strong encourage friends to join the Coast Guard, I rather they join because they want to, not because I said JOIN, YOU HAVE TO JOIN COAST GUARD its the only way to go..

I tell them each service got its good points and bad points, and to explore all their options before making a decison (granted now I didn't do this myself, but honestly I wouldn't of been happy in any other service but the Coast Guard) 

• image~LittleOne~:

imagehotmomma1:
    I'm thinking if he's in the Army (still), why wouldn't he support his own branch?

I would tell everyone to check out every service, but I would never strong encourage friends to join the Coast Guard, I rather they join because they want to, not because I said JOIN, YOU HAVE TO JOIN COAST GUARD its the only way to go..

I tell them each service got its good points and bad points, and to explore all their options before making a decison (granted now I didn't do this myself, but honestly I wouldn't of been happy in any other service but the Coast Guard) 

I'm not saying he should have pushed her that hard, but if she wanted to join the Army, I don't understand why he was so against it. 

• Really, I want us to play nice and forget the past. I want to be able to be part of this community alongside all of you. 

I really don't want this tension between us to continue.

This board has been only around for a few days... and it feels like you guys are trying to "get me". Can't we get along?  

• ::sings:: 

Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends?  Why can't we be friends, why can't we???? 

• What she really means is..

Someone's crying, oh, kumbaya

OhhOhhh... kumbaya 

• imageshellyxo:

Really, I want us to play nice and forget the past. I want to be able to be part of this community alongside all of you. 

This board has been only around for a few days... and it feels like you guys are trying to "get me". Can't we get along?  

/dead .... get me? haha 

• imagejessijames187:
    imageshellyxo:

Really, I want us to play nice and forget the past. I want to be able to be part of this community alongside all of you. 

/dead .... get me? haha 

Ooh, I like you.  You can play. Wink 

• imagejessijames187:
    imageshellyxo:

/dead .... get me? haha 

Makes me think of Dory. "I'm gonna getcha. I'mmmm gonna getcha!" Ooo! Or another song...

One way or another

I'm gonna find you

I'm gonna getcha, getcha, getcha, getcha 

• imagemrsdc701:

Makes me think of Dory. "I'm gonna getcha. I'mmmm gonna getcha!" Ooo! Or another song...

One way or another

I'm gonna find you

I'm gonna getcha, getcha, getcha, getcha 

This song always reminds me of the Rugrats movie. 

• HAHA! I'm seriously amazed at how childish some of these people act. I'm pretty young, and I seriously just laugh at some of these posts. Ridiculous. 

No body is out to 'get you.' Suck it up. 

• Ummmm, why does it really matter so much why Shelly ended up Air Force instead of Army? She answered your questions. Why make something out of nothing? If you don't care for her, ignore her or block her, but let her be. Come on.
  • imageSmudges*Mom:
    Ummmm, why does it really matter so much why Shelly ended up Air Force instead of Army? She answered your questions. Why make something out of nothing? If you don't care for her, ignore her or block her, but let her be. Come on.

I was just genuinely curious, honestly.  She made it out in her other post, that she had her mind up and her dad said no, so she changed her mind. 

• Question asked. Question answered. Done. I don't see the need to keep at her. My DH grew-up knowing he'd join the Air Force. The AF recruiter offered him crap, so his dad, who had been in the Air Force, suggested they talk with other branches. Similar situation. Shall I wake my DH up so you can grill him about his decision? Has my DH's nearly 15 year career, complete with 4 deployments & a chest full of medals not worth as much because its not what his plan was as a child? (Sorry for no paragraphs & no quoting, I'm on my cell phone.)
  • She didn't say her dad was even in the military until halfway through. In my experience, people not in the military saying to go to a certain branch are usually based on stupid comments like a certain branch gets more money or something. That's where I thought she was coming from.

I have no problem not having the career you dreamed of as a child. If that were the case I'd be a horrible interior designer.

And, yea, I don't like her.

• imagemrsdc701:

She didn't say her dad was even in the military until halfway through. In my experience, people not in the military saying to go to a certain branch are usually based on stupid comments like a certain branch gets more money or something. That's where I thought she was coming from.

I have no problem not having the career you dreamed of as a child. If that were the case I'd be a horrible interior designer.

And, yea, I don't like her.

That much is clear.  Why pick on her though?  Ignore her or block her.  Problem solved. 

When my son is older and he comes home from school, talking about another child in his class whom he does not care for, my advice to him will be to ignore him/her, not to pick on him/her. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"