Babies: 0 - 3 Months

eye goop ?

hunters right eye is kinda goopy... it looks like pink eye just without the pink, doesnt look painful but would be annoying to me. ive tried cleaning it out but he doesnt take to that very well. anyone had this happen or know whats ok to put on it?

Re: eye goop ?

• Ok I might be losing my mind but I think I remember reading that you can dab some of your breastmilk (if you are bf-ing) on it...

DS #1- Ares Christopher

DS #2- Taj Lee

DD #1 Alba Gray

Baby #4- coming in May

• its probably a clogged tear duct, DS has it too. The pedi told me to gently massage the inner corner of his eye. I also wipe it with a warm wet washcloth. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe sounds like a clogged tear duct.  My DD had this when she was a NB.  From what I remember, it usually clears itself up.....Sorry for not having a remedy, but I also think this is quite common in infants. 
  • imagea4smith:
    Ok I might be losing my mind but I think I remember reading that you can dab some of your breastmilk (if you are bf-ing) on it...

i think this would make me feel better than putting some cream or something on it... google here i come! thanksss

• One of my babies has this problem and it's a blocked tear duct - we had to get eye drops from the pediatrician.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • What color is the goop.  We just went through this with Asher.  He had clogged tear ducts and then he had an allergic reaction to the cats.  The goop is normal and can treat it by wiping it away with a warm cloth and massaging the inside of the eye.  But if its green its gotten infected and you'll  need to take him to see his pedi.  Asher was put on Erithrmycin gel for his eyes.  It took a week to clear up. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • imageHollysmoffett:
    What color is the goop.  We just went through this with Asher.  He had clogged tear ducts and then he had an allergic reaction to the cats.  The goop is normal and can treat it by wiping it away with a warm cloth and massaging the inside of the eye.  But if its green its gotten infected and you'll  need to take him to see his pedi.  Asher was put on Erithrmycin gel for his eyes.  It took a week to clear up. 

its not green.. its a yellowy color. started last night im guessing. thanks so much! im gonna do the massaging and hope it clears up Smile

• Yes, sounds like a clogged tear duct.  This is very common in newborns; usually caused by the meds they put in their eyes right after birth.  Gently wipe with a warm wet cloth, start closest to the nose and wipe outward.  Use a clean cloth each time you need to clean it.  You can also use drops called artificial tears.  This helps flush out the gunk so you can wipe it away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageale84:
    Yes, sounds like a clogged tear duct.  This is very common in newborns; usually caused by the meds they put in their eyes right after birth.  Gently wipe with a warm wet cloth, start closest to the nose and wipe outward.  Use a clean cloth each time you need to clean it.  You can also use drops called artificial tears.  This helps flush out the gunk so you can wipe it away.

Ok, I just called my dad to make sure (an eye doctor with a pediatric specialty) but the prophylactic ointment they are given at birth does not cause clogged ducts.  He said that more than half of all newborns are simply born with clogged ducts.  

My almost 3 month old is still suffering from it.  We do massage with every feeding, and a clean warm wet washcloth.  He also said not to use artificial tears on a newborn.  Since the water can't drain it has become stagnant and has become infected.   It can take up to a year for the tear ducts to open.  If it hasn't happened by a year then they will manually open them with a probe.

Some pediatricians and pediatric ophthalmologists will culture the discharge just to make sure it isn't serious, but most will tell you to massage. 

• DS had this for a few days shortly after he was born.  I had the dr look at it at his 3 day check up and he said it was just gunk coming from  his nose and it was fine.  I just wiped it out with a warm cloth and it was gone in a few days.
  • Just stating what my father, a pediatrician, and the literature that they gave me when we left the hospital said.  We did this with my daughter and it worked like a charm. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"