D.C. Area Babies

Please recommend your pedi at Northern VA Pediatrics in FC

After an irritating 15 month well visit, I am done with our pediatrician at NVP.  However, we like the practice in general, and have had a few good experiences with other doctors we have seen for sick visits.  We love the location and the office as a whole.  We would like to find another doctor there ASAP, in time for baby #2 and DD's 18 month check up, both of which will coincide with one another.

Which pediatrician do you see?  Do you love them?  Like them?  Not like them?  Why?  

If we can't find one we are happy with, we will look into Sleep Hollow Pediatrics.  If anyone takes their LO there, please fill me in.  TIA!   

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!

Re: Please recommend your pedi at Northern VA Pediatrics in FC

• We LOVE Dr. Myers.  She is wonderful.  I can always get a sick appointment to see her and she takes the time to listen and answer any questions that you have.  She actually got down on the floor and played with James at his one year appointment.  We have been very pleased with her.  I'm happy to talk to you more if you want.
  • Am I remembering correctly that you were interested in an alternative vaccination schedule?  If so, you won't like Sleepy Hollow (or most of the pediatricians at Northern Virginia Pediatrics).

If I'm not remembering correctly... we love Dr. Kelly, and I liked Dr. Baldrate the one time we saw her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We really like Dr. Halpin. We went once to Dr. Kelly for sick visit and liked her a lot as well.

I'm extremely curious to know who you had a bad experience with!

• I love Sleepy Hollow Pediatrics.  DS started out seeing Dr. Palmer, but she cut her hours, so we started seeing Dr. Fox and he is wonderful with DS.  So calm and compassionate, but really takes the time to listen to our concerns.

When we've gone in for a couple random visits for other minor things and visited with random drs. they have all been really good with DS too.  I can't really say much about them though because I didn't really build up the rapport like I have with Dr. Fox over this time with DS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • We do a very slightly alternative vaccination schedule (skipped Hep B and chicken pox, just for the time being.  DD will get them before she starts K).  We also didn't get her vaccinated against the flu, and he said "Well, good luck to you!" in a very rude tone.

Dr. Atiyah (sp?) has been her doctor since birth, and I've just had one too many bad/annoying experiences with him.  The last straw was her 15 month appt yesterday.  He rushed in, asked what was wrong with her, and I had to inform him that nothing was wrong, but we were there for her 15 month well visit.  He should have known that before entering the room, IMO.  He was literally with us for five minutes, hardly asked any questions, and certainly didn't encourage any questions from me.  He didn't use the stethescope, didn't ask to see her teeth when I told him she had been teething a lot and had a ton of new ones, and generally just rushed like crazy through the appointment.

Two weeks ago, he suggested (through a nurse on the phone), that she had seasonal allergies (after I had called about her persistent cough), and we should try Children's Claritin.  I did for a few days, then called because it didn't seem to be helping much, and I was concerned that she was taking meds at too young an age (the bottle says age 2 and up).  The nurse I spoke with that day kind of freaked and said I shouldn't be using Claritin with DD, and I told her that another nurse said Dr. Atiyeh said to.  She was confused and he called me back and was very casual about it.  "Oh, if you think she has allergies, sure, try it."  He didn't ask to see her or examine her himself, and was just fine with me giving her meds that she is too young for. 

We saw Dr. Myers once or twice before and really liked her, as well as a few other doctors (a much younger woman, probably in her late 30's, but can't remember her name).  I kind of feel like it will be awkward to switch doctors in the same practice, but honestly, I don't think he'd even notice. 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • April, we go to Dr. Henrikson at Nova Peds and I really like her--I think you might, too. She's very sweet, never rushes us and is very patient with all my scatterbrained questions. If I call and leave a question on the nurse's line, she will almost always call me herself even if a nurse has already called me and she always tells me to call her whenever I have questions.

When she has been unavailable we have seen Dr. Baldrate and she was really nice, too.

ETA: Dr. Henrikson see patients upstairs, so you probably wouldn't even run into Dr. Atiyeh if you switched :-)

• No advice b/c we go to a different pedi, and his rushed attitude would lead me to want to change as well (though I don't think not looking at teeth is unusual -- DS's pedi has never looked at his teeth that I can remember).  DS he's been on OTC allergy medicine since he was just over a year old -- OKed by both his pedi and an allergist.  I know the label says two and up, but both docs OKed it at a lower dose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebh2720:

April, we go to Dr. Henrikson at Nova Peds and I really like her--I think you might, too. She's very sweet, never rushes us and is very patient with all my scatterbrained questions. If I call and leave a question on the nurse's line, she will almost always call me herself even if a nurse has already called me and she always tells me to call her whenever I have questions.

When she has been unavailable we have seen Dr. Baldrate and she was really nice, too.

ETA: Dr. Henrikson see patients upstairs, so you probably wouldn't even run into Dr. Atiyeh if you switched :-)

She's actually the doctor who came to our room at VHC to meet Audrey when she was born.  :-)  Thanks for the rec, I'll look into it! 

• I don't have any advice as I go to Sleepy Hollow (who I'm happy with), but the rushed attitude you are experiencing would also have me switching docs.  At sick visits my doc tends to be in-and-out, but at the well checks, they have always spent a minimum of 30 min with us, and sit patiently and answer my many, many questions.  I wouldn't worry about switching to a diff doc in the same practice... I'm sure it happens all the time when people are trying to find a good fit.  In fact, I'm considering scheduling our next well appt with a different doc just to get a different perspective, not because I'm not happy. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We see Dr. Kelly and love her.  We've seen Dr. Mouchahoir (sp) once and really liked him too.  DS's first visit was to Dr. Atiyeh (Dr. Kelly was out of town) and we strongly disliked our experience with him.  So, I know where you're coming from with the rushed visit.  DH said that it seemed like he was on speed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I LOVE Dr. Baldrate.  I have also seen Dr Kelly. Dr. Baldrate is so patient, never is a rush even when I come in with a list of questions.  She is late sometimes to see us, probably because she takes her time with other patients, but when she does come in she never ever rushes. 

I remember when Amelia had bad jaundice when she was born and lead poisioning at 9 months, she called our house on the weekend to see how she was doing and if we had any questions.  I thought that was awesome and really helped put me at ease.

• One more vote for Dr. Baldrate! I think she is patient, kind and I love that she is a young mom also.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use Pediatric Associates of Alex.  They have a bunch of MDs and I've liked everyone I've met.  They're good about getting you in same day and have sick walk in hours from 6:30-7 ?  everyday except Sat.  Oh and they have Sat hours.  They're in Kingstowne

eta  DD is on Zyrtec for allergies but tried Claritin first.  It's ok for under 2 so long as the MD has given you directions.  DD had obvious allergies with a terrible runny nose so they were willing to give me dosage over the phone

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"