Baby Showers
Options

Should I get two gifts?

So, I am having a dilemma about my friend's baby shower.  I've only known this girl for a short time, she isn't one of my closest friends, and this is realistically my first shower so I don't know all of the protocol.  My friend's invitation said that the theme for the baby shower was to "build baby's first library." Everyone is supposed to bring a children's book for the baby. I don't feel like that's enough of a present for a baby shower though.  They didn't mention a registry in the invitation, only books, so if I do get them another gift, what should it be?

So now I'm in the situation that you commonly face with invitations that say "no gifts please;" if everyone brings a gift anyway and you don't you look terrible, but if no one else brings a gift and you do anyway you also look terrible.  Suggestions?

Re: Should I get two gifts?

• Options
    I wouldn't get just one book - perhaps a collection of books like a few Dr. Seuss books, Winnie the Pooh, etc. Together that would make for a nice gift.
  • Options

I agree with the PP...make a few books the gift. Hardcover books are nicer and will last longer and seem like a true gift versus buying little paper back books.

If it is a shower for a baby girl, I love the series Fancy Nancy. It is sooo cute and was not around when I was a kid. Super cute illustrations.

Or...Kohls sells books (hardcover) with the matching stuffed animal/character from the story. I think they are $5 each for the animal and the book. Last I knew, they were doing the Dr. Seuss series. They were doing the "If you give a..." series. Or places like Barnes and Noble sell gift sets with little plush toys. I just bought the Very Hungry Caterpillar with matching plush for our little one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    All the "build a library" showers I've been to have intended the book to replace a card.   Maybe the hostess was flighty and didn't put registry information on the invite.  I'd recommend calling the hostess, you have to RSVP anyway right?  Ask her where MTB is registered.  If MTB is registered, I'm assuming they aren't intending you to bring just a book.
  • Options

If it requests help to build a library...and you are new friends...I would think 1 book is fine.  

I would love to have just a shower for books.  (im a reader)...so your friend must be too.

Even though it is just 1 book...books last forever - remember that - much longer than a toy that is easily discarded. 

If you want to get something that others might not...i would look at some of the old time stories:  

The Tomten and the Fox

The Tomten

The sun egg

Woody Hazel and little Pip

The story of the wind children

Mother Earth and Her Children

The giant golden book of fairy tales 

Some newer ones:

Around the world with Mouk

The octonauts (series)

All of these are carried by amazon.

Good luck...i can guarantee that if you buy 1 of these - it will not be a duplicate and will be very appreciated.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Is this her first child? She may have everything she needs already. You could always get a box of diapers if you feel that is not enough or a gift card to  BRU or something. 
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options

I would do as the other pp said and ask when you RSVP if she is registered anywhere.  If she is, then the book is just extra.  Like the pp said...many times they ask for a book in place of a card.  If she says, "no, she ONLY wants books" then there you have it.  I would still bring a large package of diapers in that case...because if that is all she wants the mom-to-be is either unaware of what she needs for a baby or she owns stock in Pampers!  lol

• Options
    I went to a show like this and I took a book and another gift but they also had a registry can you ask the person hosting the shower?
  • Options
    sorry had some problems with my siggy!!
  • Options
    I would get one book and take a gift card inside to a local retailer.  They can use this towards items, or in the future on formula, diapers, wipes, etc.  That way, if no one else brings an additional gift, you don't stand out, but if other do, you're not coming up short.  I would say $25 would suffice, since you are not particularly close with this person.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, this is actually really helpful. I like the idea of a gift card or an assortment of books. I'll check with the hostess about a registry, maybe the omission was just an oversight!
  • Options

We are doing this for my shower but asking people to bring a book in leiu of a card.  You could pick up a cheap children's book at the dollar store and attach it to the gift.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If the shower is called "build baby's library" that to me means just bring a book. Like PP have said, bundle some books together or get a set which would make a better gift than just one book. If you are really worried RSVP the host and ask or if you have any mutual friends that are invited to the shower also, ask them what they are doing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemsuk2girl:
    All the "build a library" showers I've been to have intended the book to replace a card.   Maybe the hostess was flighty and didn't put registry information on the invite.  I'd recommend calling the hostess, you have to RSVP anyway right?  Ask her where MTB is registered.  If MTB is registered, I'm assuming they aren't intending you to bring just a book.

this.  i went to a shower like this and it was awesome.  first of all, people throw away the cards more often than not.  a card costs between $2.50-$4.00 depending on how fancy it is.  a small baby book costs about $5.00-$10.00.   We signed the inside of the cover of the book and then didn't wrap that, let that be the card.  We all then gave regular registry presents.  However, the registry info was also on the card. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"