Parenting after a Loss
Options

I know this is ridiculously superficial but...

I just need to ask.  How did you deal with the way your body looked in the days immediately after delivery?  What did it look like?  Was it what you anticipated/much better/much worse?  I know I'm not expecting "pre pregnancy" appearance here, but I just want to prepare myself.  With hormones doing who knows what, I want to make sure I am mentally prepared for what lies ahead.  Yes, feel free to flame this.  I'm just keepin it real here.

ETA: Thanks for the hint about the baptism outfit dilemma...this is exactly the type of thing I need to prepare myself for mentally!

Asher Thomas 5.19.10
Miles Edmund 12.29.11
Liam Robert 1.21.14
Baby 4...ok probably another boy here haha 9.20.15

Re: I know this is ridiculously superficial but...

• Options

No flames here!  The day I went home from the hospital, I looked about 5 months pg.  My belly looked exactly how it was when I was showing and thought I looked cute and pg.  Only it was depressing because I wasn't pg anymore.  Plus, I had some serious baby blues that really hung on (like 2 months+), so I was down on myself big-time.  But in reality, my belly went down pretty quickly - I didn't wear the Belly Bandit or anything, but I did EP for 2 months, so that might have helped.  I think the hardest thing for me was coming to terms with the fact that I had 20+ lbs to lose (after I had already dropped 20 lbs. in a snap) because I ate myself silly during pregnancy.  

Wow, I'm depressing.  Can you just pay attention to the part where I said my belly went down fast?  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

It was not cute.  I think worse than expected.  The empty belly with saggy skin freaked me out.  I was also surprised by how long it took for my pooch to go away - it makes no sense medically but it seemed like my uterus was large for quite a while.  Yuck!

ETA - the good news is that i lost 25 pounds in the hospital!  lost the remaining 10 pounds during maternity leave and went back to work at my pre-pregnancy weight.  i'm now 5-10 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight.  my ridiculously vain comment of the day = i will wear a bikini this summer and pretty sure i'll look good doing so :) 

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, sadly, I felt better about the way my body looked after birth, then I do now. At least then I was like "I look damn good for someone who just gave birth." Now, I am frustrated because he is 8 months and I have lost all the weight yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagekimmie321:
    Well, sadly, I felt better about the way my body looked after birth, then I do now. At least then I was like "I look damn good for someone who just gave birth." Now, I am frustrated because he is 8 months and I have lost all the weight yet.

This exactly! Except he's 5 months old :)

• Options

it took 10 days to loose all+ what I'd gained during pregnancy, but, I still have alot of loose skin on my stomach and I'm really disgusted by it. I had alot of stretch marks too, and that just adds to the ugly wrinkles in the loose belly skin.

However, I do think that you feel good about yourself after delivery no matter what you look like, because you get to loose a ton of weight in one day! If you can just get past the fact that it was because of a baby coming out and not actually losing weight on your own, you're all set!

• Options
    It was worse than I had anticipated.  My birth assistant grabbed our camera and took all kinds of photos of us right after DD was born.  Many of them were not flattering (she took pics while they were delivering the placenta, for example!  Those have been deleted ...)  I looked at them and was like "Holy crap, my thighs are HUGE!"  Then I stressed out to find an outfit for DD's baptism (she was 6 weeks old).  Everything looked awful on me.  I went out to try to find clothes that looked ok, but nothing did because I was carrying around this massive spare tire.  I'd say, prepare yourself for the worst.
  • Options
    imageMelissaAB5579:

imagekimmie321:

Same here, but with a 3 month old :)

I felt pretty good right away about the way my belly was going down, but then it slowed down majorly.  I lost about 20lbs right away (I had a ton of swelling) and I've lost another 18 since then.  Yeah, I totally gained too much weight while pg.  I still have another 6lbs to pre-pg weight.

• Options
    I felt good immediately afterwards - thought I looked good for just giving birth. But that feeling passed quick and I was left with a really squishy stomach. It looked like I was about 5 months pregnant with clothes but w/o was a different story. My stomach was squishy and no longer hard and cute. I'm still struggling to lose the weight and it's been 5 months. Ugh.
    After 2 m/cs, dx October 2008 with hetero factor v leiden & mthfr & low progesterone; third time was the charm - BFP 3/19/09 on first cycle of clomid. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ibisibis member

This isn't flameworthy. 

It was worse than expected for me. I knew I'd look about 5 mo pregnant but I didn't realize my belly would be so soft and flabby. I wasn't able to see that I had stretch marks around my navel until the baby was out and suddenly the stretchies looked terrible. I had a dark linea negra and my belly button was dark brown! I have to admit I really hated how I looked for a little while. I knew I was being vain and too hard on myself but it was just... kind of freaky I guess.

Now, I really like my body. It is NOT how it was pre-pg at all. My belly is still soft, my breasts are softer, and my hips & thighs are wider even though I've lost the baby weight. But guess what - I feel like a hot mom. :) 

• Options
    imageMrsGhappilyeverafter:
    imageMelissaAB5579:

imagekimmie321:

Same here, but with a 3 month old :)

I felt pretty good right away about the way my belly was going down, but then it slowed down majorly.  I lost about 20lbs right away (I had a ton of swelling) and I've lost another 18 since then.  Yeah, I totally gained too much weight while pg.  I still have another 6lbs to pre-pg weight.

This is where I'm headed. I've lost 30 lbs-gained about 45 during pregnancy. I would like to lose another 30 now since I still have m/c weight too. I will say when I left the hospital I only had lost 6 lbs. I was p**sed about that, and scared. But I was majorly swollen for nearly 2 weeks and then all the weight dropped. Now it is slowing down. I'm back to work and wearing my "fat clothes" and some maternity clothes still too. My belly is flatter than I expected but I still have a lot of work to do. The stretchmarks looked worse after DD was born than before but they are getting lighter now.
    Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"