Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

talking??

Okay we are about to be 14 mo. old...and saying nothing but ma-ma and babbling. No animal sounds, no signing....i try to teach him and he just doesnt even pay attention....should i be concerned?? I never thought about it until we had a play date recently with a 12 month little girl who could sign several things, say no, say all of her animal sounds..

Re: talking??

• They say girls develop/learn a bit faster than boys, and in general, I wouldn't be woried. Every kids does this at his own pace.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Your LO sounds normal to me. 

My DD only had a few words around 18 months: mama, moo, zat (that?), dada, and oo oo (for choo choo).

She didn't start saying more words til about 20 months.  She's 23 months now and she has at least 20-30 words, animal sounds, or other inanimate object sounds.  Each month she learns more. 

I did have her evaluated for speech when she was 17 months old (it was a free eval through the county) and they said she was in the "normal" range. 

Just remember every LO is different.  I have several LO's in my Moms group that are much more talkative than DD and they're all roughly the same age.  But then again, DD walked/ran/jumped well before they did.  Try not to worry.  :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD is 14 months too and all she says in Daddy and Gi-Gi(our cat, Ginger).  That's it.  She technically say Mama, but not in relation to me and she's only said it a couple of times.  She'll say Daddy ALL DAY LONG, part talking to herself and part calling for him.  I'm not worried, our LO's will get there in their own time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"