Parenting after 35

At my wits end!

So I thought B was just going through a growth spurt and maybe she still is but we're going on day 5 now of her waking every 1-2 hours (day and night). 

She seems to be hungry when she wakes so I've been feeding her (about every 2 hrs lately)....occasionally I will give her more than her usual 4 oz. 

Should I try giving her more at each feeding? 

But I am getting no sleep and don't know what else to do....just ride it out I suppose....but any suggestions/advice or just support is appreciated! Crying

PS I do swaddle her and use a sound machine...

Me-38, DH - 48 | DD born 3/17/10 | BFP 4/29/11 - M/C 5/31/11 Blighted Ovum | BFP 12/18/11 CP - 12/27/11 | Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: At my wits end!

• I'd do two things:

1. Call your pediatrician. While unlikely, there is a possibility B isn't feeling well.

2. After ruling out #1 (whether by phone or an office visit) start giving her 5 oz bottles. Babies will only take what they need.  And from what you're describing, she just may need more.

I wish I had more suggestions and hope this gets better.  I understand how hard it is dealing with a baby who is waking all the time.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I would start giving her bigger bottles. It seems like she's not getting enough to eat at each feeding.

• Loading the player...
  • I echo the others. Also, do you try giving her a paci when she wakes? Or change her diaper, etc?

When Sabrina was that age, it would take her a good solid hour- at minimum- after waking to fall back asleep! It was exhausting but once I realized that no matter what I did, it would be an hour before she went back to sleep, things seemed to ease up a bit for me. Her room is also our office so I would put her in the crib and give her a paci and keep my hand on her tummy for a while as I softly sang or hummed a lullaby and then after a couple minutes I'd take my hand away and if she was quiet I'd go to the computer for a bit so that I was right there when she started fussing again. Because unless it had been at least an hour from the last time she was up (and this was day OR night), she wouldn't fall asleep. So by being close by and not trying to relax, it just made it a little less stressful for me. Not sure if that makes much sense but hopefully something gives for you.

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sorry your delaing with this. But I agree with everyone I would try bigger bottles. Also, what is she wearing under the swaddle? Is she warm enough. Sometimes H wakes alot when he is cold or warm. So now I just layer and use the sleep sacks. He seems to be snug as a bug in those.
  • Boy, it could be anything.

If she's swaddled, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to put a light blanket on her in case she's cold. 

Is she FF or BF?  I would probably boost up the amount you're giving her.  Some babies just require more earlier, especially boys.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No advice. M was a horrible sleeper between 2 and 6 months.

Left Hug 

• *hugs*

Nothing that hasn't been said, just support! 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • ugh! I feel for you. I agree with the PP, but definitely call up the doc.  It could also be colic, gas, ear infection ... definitely don't want it to be, just saying .... good luck and please let us know when LO feels better ...
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto PPs. M did the same thing. I just fed her on demand and it slowly *normalized* - until the next time. :o)

I am sorry - sleep deprivation is really tough!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"