Military Families

Anyone w/experience going AD to AR/AG?

I'm up for re-enlistment here pretty soon, and considering/weighing my options when it comes to my career path.

It was suggested to me to switch from Active Duty (AF) to Active Reserve or Active Guard. 

I had planned on getting out after this re-enlistment (4 or 6, haven't decided), but If I go AR I can try and network/meet the weekend warriors that have jobs in the career field I plan on doing outside the military (Comm/Network Security) and with that kind of networking I can try and get a foot in the door.

I have no reason to get out other than getting a well-paying IT job, but I don't have plans for staying in for 20...

Soooo long-story short, anybody (or DH) have experience going from AD to AR? Is it any different, or is it pretty much just "now you work with reservists and stay on a different base"??

Re: Anyone w/experience going AD to AR/AG?

• My H is doing the opposite. Trying to go from NG to AD Army. =)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so much for this question! I am wondering the same because I am considering going AD to AR/AG.
  • Loading the player...
  • I went from AD AF to TR Reserves in Sept.  For me it's a pretty big difference--but I went from full time to being a TR and SAHM.  Also, my old units didn't have a reserve equivalent so I have never really worked with or interacted with any reserves counterparts.  I would say that everything really depends on the unit.  I like it b/c it gives my family extra income and the active duty unit we are joined with has tons of extra money so I can work extra shifts if I want to.  But for me this is just 1 weekend out of the month.  I might feel differently if I had a full time job and was trying to squeeze it in.  Let me know if you have anymore question.
  • imagelmcase:
    I went from AD AF to TR Reserves in Sept.  For me it's a pretty big difference--but I went from full time to being a TR and SAHM.  Also, my old units didn't have a reserve equivalent so I have never really worked with or interacted with any reserves counterparts.  I would say that everything really depends on the unit.  I like it b/c it gives my family extra income and the active duty unit we are joined with has tons of extra money so I can work extra shifts if I want to.  But for me this is just 1 weekend out of the month.  I might feel differently if I had a full time job and was trying to squeeze it in.  Let me know if you have anymore question.

Is your husband AD? Also, how easy is it to move around in the reserves? My husband is AD AF and I am worried I won't be able to move to his next base if I am in the AR/AG.

• bumping this to try and squeeze maybe another response out =3
  • Haha, I think the drama might of killed this thread. :/
  • imageshellyxo:

imagelmcase:
    I went from AD AF to TR Reserves in Sept.  For me it's a pretty big difference--but I went from full time to being a TR and SAHM.  Also, my old units didn't have a reserve equivalent so I have never really worked with or interacted with any reserves counterparts.  I would say that everything really depends on the unit.  I like it b/c it gives my family extra income and the active duty unit we are joined with has tons of extra money so I can work extra shifts if I want to.  But for me this is just 1 weekend out of the month.  I might feel differently if I had a full time job and was trying to squeeze it in.  Let me know if you have anymore question.

Is your husband AD? Also, how easy is it to move around in the reserves? My husband is AD AF and I am worried I won't be able to move to his next base if I am in the AR/AG.

Yup, my husband is AD AF.  Our situation is somewhat unusual though.  Our mission is stateside and we are pretty limited in where we can be stationed.  Due to this, AFPC doesn't frown upon "homesteading" and we can stay in our location for up to 6 years.  Eventually DH will have to PCS, but it won't be for awhile.  When he does, I can look for a new position at his next duty station or go IRR.  My choice.  As long as you aren't trading AD commitment, I believe it should be the same for you.  Keep in mind, this is all AR I'm speaking to, I don't know anything about the guard.  Also, I am a TR, but I'm pretty sure AGR does take some commitment.  There are also other categories so it depends what type of AR position you are interested in.

• imagelmcase:
    imageshellyxo:

imagelmcase:

Yup, my husband is AD AF.  Our situation is somewhat unusual though.  Our mission is stateside and we are pretty limited in where we can be stationed.  Due to this, AFPC doesn't frown upon "homesteading" and we can stay in our location for up to 6 years.  Eventually DH will have to PCS, but it won't be for awhile.  When he does, I can look for a new position at his next duty station or go IRR.  My choice.  As long as you aren't trading AD commitment, I believe it should be the same for you.  Keep in mind, this is all AR I'm speaking to, I don't know anything about the guard.  Also, I am a TR, but I'm pretty sure AGR does take some commitment.  There are also other categories so it depends what type of AR position you are interested in.

Well, I am talking to the AG/AR recruiters next month, so I should get a better picture of how they both work. I know they are both commitments and I know on their website they talk about being able to move but I am doubtful if it is really as good as they make it sound. 

Thanks again for the information.

• imageshellyxo:
    Well, I am talking to the AG/AR recruiters next month

Please let me know when you do! Whenever I try and find more info the usual response is "talk to a recruiter" but because i'm planning for the future I don't think it's worth wasting his/her time asking questions that may/may not apply when the time comes.

• imageIndiechixor:

imageshellyxo:
    Well, I am talking to the AG/AR recruiters next month

Please let me know when you do! Whenever I try and find more info the usual response is "talk to a recruiter" but because i'm planning for the future I don't think it's worth wasting his/her time asking questions that may/may not apply when the time comes.

What are some of your questions? You can write them here or PM me.. I can ask them when I go see them. I plan on seeing them around the middle of May.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"