North Carolina Babies

NT scan?

Did you have an NT scan?  If so, what were your reasons?  Did your OB suggest it or did you request it?  If you did not have one, why not?

I did not have one with DD since I knew I wanted the quad screen and I figured the latter would be more accurate.  I didn't want to get any negative information but not be able to do much about it, so we waited to do the quad screen at 18w.  But I know a lot of people get the NT scan and I'm curious to know if it's something I should request this time.

Thanks!

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
Our early Christmas present 12/9/10

Re: NT scan?

• My OB gave a pamphlet at the 1st appointment and I had to mark down that day if I wanted it so UNC could call and schedule a date.  I knew my odds of Down's were fairly low(I'm 28), but do like to be as informed as possible.  It came down to if my insurance would cover it and how much I would have to pay - I figured if it was a lot I would wait and do the quad screen.  I marked down that I wanted it, figuring I could call and cancel if I needed to.  Called my insurance that day and they told me it would be 100% covered, so then I really didn't have a reason not to do it.  I was worried about a "false positive" but that ended up not happening - the neck measurement was so far below what is cause for further testing and then my blood test showed the odds to be even lower.  I'm sure if I had to go for further testing because of a "false positive" I would have really stressed though. GL on your decision!
  • My OB didn't even say anything abou the NT scan and I didn't have it.  I did have the quad screen.  I don't know if that's why he didn't offer it, or if he just only does them on request or what.  But I didn't have one and did have the quad screen, and will probably do the same the next time around.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours was done with the MFM doc.  His genetics nurse came in and gave us a long talk about the pros and cons of the test and it was up to DH and I to have the test done or not.  We knew where we stood on any outcome of the test because we had talked about it before hand, we had to have and ultrasound that day anyway to we went ahead with the test.  Good luck with your decision!
  • I did the NT scan with both girls.  I was in my 30s thought it was a good idea.  Plus, I like to know as much as possible.  Insurance covered it so we figured we should go ahead with it.  I did not have the quad screen.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • don't do it.

we learned the hard way.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, we had the NT scan basically just b/c the insurance would cover it, AND it was a reason to get another u/s and see my baby. :)
  • imagekaysi82:

don't do it.

we learned the hard way.

May I asked what happened?  A false positive as I feared or something along those lines?  Thanks for sharing. :(

imageimageimage

• We had an NT scan.

1) We wanted to know our odds, in order to be as informed as possible.

2) Our insurance covered it, and it was an opportunity to see our baby again on the u/s. :)

Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had a NT Scan because my SIL has downs, although it is not the heriditary kind.  I also wanted to be as informed as possible and our insurance covered it.  Either way, it was another chance to see the baby and ensure everything was ok.  At the time I my office had me listed as high-risk.
  • We did not do it or any other "extra" screenings.  My ins. probably would've paid for it; however due to our age and family histories we just decided not to.  I think too we were concerned about being worry warts over some % of a change that XZY would be wrong with baby.  That's just us though.  Good luck with your decision!
  • imagealchris:
    imagekaysi82:

don't do it.

we learned the hard way.

May I asked what happened?  A false positive as I feared or something along those lines?  Thanks for sharing. :(

Just to clarify there is no such thing as a 'false positive'.  The NT is not a positive/negative test.  Its a predictor to determine probability.  Our probability was high considering we have no history of DS and I was not classified AMA.  Was it hard getting the results that said 1/52?  Absolutely.  What if Alex had been the 1 out of 52???  Then we would have been able to be prepared.  I read somewhere one time (it may have been on the March of Dimes website) that the NT scan helps catch somewhere in the upper 80% of genetic disorders that it tests for...far more parents are informed earlier of their child's diagnosis because of the NT scan than parents who get what people like to call the 'false positive'.  Because of our 'elevated risk' we opted to have a CVS done at 13 weeks and it ruled out any genetic disorder that the test screens for.  Were those some of the hardest days of my life?  Yep.  But I'd do it all over again to be informed.  The way I describe it to my friends when they approach me is...you read reviews for months about all the latest and best baby gear so you can be prepared...so why wouldn't you want to be prepared for the health of your child.  I dont look down on anyone who chooses not to - its your choice, and its a personal one.  Good luck making a decision.

• Thanks, toadslove.  It was an intentional shorthand knowing everyone here would know, but you're right in that it's a total misstatement and thank you for clarifying!

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Do you mind my asking if there was anything that you learned by getting your NT scan and resulting CVS that you wouldn't have likely known by getting a quad screen a month later?  I know that would still be a probability, but wouldn't the quad screen likely be more precise?  At least, that was my thinking 3 years ago.  The only thing that's changed in my thinking now is that I have poor egg quality (though this one has already stuck around longer than the last two did) and I'll be 36 when I hit 19 weeks.  There's no doubt I want the info beforehand, but I'm debating whether to to ask for it at 12 weeks this time or whether it makes sense to wait until 18 weeks again, hoping to save a little unnecessary stress *if* that's what it came down to.  Thanks again for your insight. :)

imageimageimage

• imagealchris:
    imagekaysi82:

don't do it.

we learned the hard way.

yeh.
    we got an elevated probability.
    our story is similar to toads and i had many of the same feelings.
    we were like 1/149 for DS.
    our background is a lil sketchy b/c we have a really poor family history with my mom being adopted and DH's father not knowing any family medical background.
    but yes, like toad said this was a very very difficult time for us until we had a clear answer. i forget exact dates but we right at the point where it was kinda late for a CVS and early for an amnio. (i want to say 14 weeks).
    we ended up deciding on a high level US with the perinatologist looking for markers. if markers were found--we would have an amnio.
    anyway...things were fine in the end and we had a healthy baby boy and found out the sex at 16 1/2 weeks.
    i agree that the more you know the better....i just felt like, in our situation, it was a lot of heartache that i would rather have bypassed.

• imagealchris:

Thanks, toadslove.  It was an intentional shorthand knowing everyone here would know, but you're right in that it's a total misstatement and thank you for clarifying!

Do you mind my asking if there was anything that you learned by getting your NT scan and resulting CVS that you wouldn't have likely known by getting a quad screen a month later?  I know that would still be a probability, but wouldn't the quad screen likely be more precise?  At least, that was my thinking 3 years ago.  The only thing that's changed in my thinking now is that I have poor egg quality (though this one has already stuck around longer than the last two did) and I'll be 36 when I hit 19 weeks.  There's no doubt I want the info beforehand, but I'm debating whether to to ask for it at 12 weeks this time or whether it makes sense to wait until 18 weeks again, hoping to save a little unnecessary stress *if* that's what it came down to.  Thanks again for your insight. :)

I get confused when I talk about this because its been so long - but my NT was the u/s.  Combined with that I did blood work on the same day (quad? maybe triple screen... not sure of the name but possibly the same thing?) and my age.  All 3 of those things are factored in to give the risk assessment.  So I guess Im not really sure of the difference - since the quad is just a risk assessment as well.  Sorry - I am confusing myself on this one. 

• alchrisalchris member
    imagetoadslove:
    imagealchris:

Thanks, toadslove.  It was an intentional shorthand knowing everyone here would know, but you're right in that it's a total misstatement and thank you for clarifying!

I get confused when I talk about this because its been so long - but my NT was the u/s.  Combined with that I did blood work on the same day (quad? maybe triple screen... not sure of the name but possibly the same thing?) and my age.  All 3 of those things are factored in to give the risk assessment.  So I guess Im not really sure of the difference - since the quad is just a risk assessment as well.  Sorry - I am confusing myself on this one. 

No problem at all, and thanks again for sharing.

imageimageimage

• alchrisalchris member
    imagetoadslove:
    imagealchris:

Yes, the quad screen is just a risk assessment as well, but my understanding is that it's more accurate than the NT scan.  I may be wrong if there's a benefit to the NT scan as well, but that's what I'm trying to get a better understanding of.  No problem at all, and thanks again for sharing.

imageimageimage

• I had the quad screen with Ashley (which I believe was just a blood test) and the NT scan with this baby b/c my doctor said it was more accurate and that they do not do the quad screen anymore. You have to have the ultrasound during a very specific time and I think I had the blood work at the same time. Best of luck with your decision!
  • imagemrsmikey:
    My OB didn't even say anything abou the NT scan and I didn't have it.  I did have the quad screen.  I don't know if that's why he didn't offer it, or if he just only does them on request or what.  But I didn't have one and did have the quad screen, and will probably do the same the next time around.

Same here.

• They only mentioned the NT Scan at our very first appt and it was pretty much our responsibility to schedule it. I asked about if they recommended it at the following appt and they didn't really say yes, as I assumed they would. I think I ended up declining based on learning the anything major would likely be caught at the quad screening and not really wanting to get stressed about the odds, etc. IDK if I'd make the same decision next time... the ultrasound alone might have been worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"