Military Families

Are you a brat?

Just curious how many women either followed in their Father or Mother's footsteps and married/ is in the military. 
[Poll]

Re: Are you a brat?

• I voted no prior affiliation... and let me tell you, it is weird as hell walking into this military world from a completely civilian point of view. It took me a couple of months to not freak out about driving on post, and I still don't go to the PX or Commissary for fear of being yelled at for doing something wrong, teehee.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cute men in uniforms will get a girl everytime... ;-)  

(You know you're from MN when you know that a Brat is something you eat...) yummmy

• Loading the player...
  • imageFulbri05:
    I voted no prior affiliation... and let me tell you, it is weird as hell walking into this military world from a completely civilian point of view. It took me a couple of months to not freak out about driving on post, and I still don't go to the PX or Commissary for fear of being yelled at for doing something wrong, teehee.

I completely agree.

My H failed to tell me the first day I went on base not to talk on my cell and drive. ( I also failed to read the signs, this was my fault completely)  Well, I was trying to go to the PX or something and I'm driving through the parking lot just chit chatting away about a week after we got married and there's this older man trying to get my attention looking very frustrated and keeps driving past me doing the cell phone to the ear signal thing.  I understand what he was trying to say now.

It's definitely an adjustment!

• My uncle was in the Navy for a short time when I was an infant. He lives in CA though so it's not like I grew up listening to him talk about it or anything. Otherwise, nope, no affiliation.
  • imageCKLee1107:

Cute men in uniforms will get a girl everytime... ;-)  

The first time I met MH he was in his uniform.  And he we are.  

• imagecahill999:

imageFulbri05:
    I voted no prior affiliation... and let me tell you, it is weird as hell walking into this military world from a completely civilian point of view. It took me a couple of months to not freak out about driving on post, and I still don't go to the PX or Commissary for fear of being yelled at for doing something wrong, teehee.

I completely agree.

My H failed to tell me the first day I went on base not to talk on my cell and drive. ( I also failed to read the signs, this was my fault completely)  Well, I was trying to go to the PX or something and I'm driving through the parking lot just chit chatting away about a week after we got married and there's this older man trying to get my attention looking very frustrated and keeps driving past me doing the cell phone to the ear signal thing.  I understand what he was trying to say now.

We don't live on a base (weekend warrior hubby).  I never knew that about cell phones...eep

• imagecahill999:

imageFulbri05:

I completely agree.

Hahahaha DH hates when I talk on my phone and drive at the same time so that was one of the first things he pointed out (thankfully).  Although now I threaten him that he better be nice to me or I'll get intentionally pulled over so he has to go to traffic school on a Saturday :)

• SS- Not my parents (well, the ones that raised me.. found out my biological dad and his brother were both in the army!) but my aunt was in the army, an uncle in the MC, greatgrandfather was in the MC and served during WWII, a god(grand)father in the army in WWII, older brother in the MC, older brother in the Navy, older bro in the army... younger brother leaving for PI end of June..

Yeah.. we're like that lol

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I chose SS because while my parents were both civilians, my mother was an Air Force brat -- both her parents were in the Air Force (her mom until she got pregnant, and her dad for about 22 years, until my mom was about 10). I grew up listening to my mom's tales of living in Taiwan and moving all around the US. I know I got my love of travel from her.

I didn't go out looking for a military man, but I live VERY close to a Navy base, so a lot of girls around here end up with military men. And honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I can actually be proud of him for his ambition and loyalty to this country. I know it's a sacrifice moreso because I saw the affects on my mother. She's in her 50s, and still has a hard time getting close to people. I hope I that doesn't happen with this baby, but that's always a possibility.

• My dad was in the Air Force when my mom and dad got married. I don't know the whole story but I know he had an honorable discharge. This was back in 1980.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry new to all the acronyms on here. SS is what? I am a new mom and a reservist followed behind lots of military family. Haven't found just how far back but at least 3rd generation so far. And I am the only one in my generation in my blood to my knowledege.
  • I'm a brat and swore up and down that I was done with the military. So I married a fat, out of shape, computer geek. Wouldn't you know he went into contracting and here we are moving around more often than many military families. And now I'm a wannabe.
    Fuuck TTC - I'm moving on.
    imageimageimageimage
    "It's a child, not a cheeto" Thanks mmariluh!
    "Ew. I've read all of two posts from you, and you stink like rotting garbage."
  • imageZoie2010:
    Sorry new to all the acronyms on here. SS is what? I am a new mom and a reservist followed behind lots of military family. Haven't found just how far back but at least 3rd generation so far. And I am the only one in my generation in my blood to my knowledege.

SS: Special Snowflake 

• ? Really now
  • I voted yes, because, according to the question, I am. My dad was in the Army but he got out before I was born. I was surprised to see how few "brats" there are of those who have responded. . .
  • Both of my parents were enlisted Army where they met, they got out and years later after getting their degrees they went in as officers in the AF....So does that make me a SS? lol I wouldn't know how to live a civilian lifestyle.
  • Dad was Navy, Grandfather was Army (WWII), and oldest brother, Marine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagekdodge423:
    imageCKLee1107:
    imagecahill999:

imageFulbri05:

I completely agree.

We don't live on a base (weekend warrior hubby).  I never knew that about cell phones...eep

Is it that hard to hang up your cell phone and pay attention while driving a 2 ton weapon down the street so you don't kill yourself or others? It's not too much to ask. You do know people used to survive quite well without a cell phone at all, right?

I had no clue.  I thought for centuries people just had really bad reception and that's why they didn't use them to communicate.

• imagecahill999:
    imagekdodge423:
    imageCKLee1107:
    imagecahill999:

imageFulbri05:

I completely agree.

Is it that hard to hang up your cell phone and pay attention while driving a 2 ton weapon down the street so you don't kill yourself or others? It's not too much to ask. You do know people used to survive quite well without a cell phone at all, right?

I had no clue.  I thought for centuries people just had really bad reception and that's why they didn't use them to communicate.

No, it wasn't that the reception was bad, it was that they were too big to fit in the car.  Thank God for modern technology and those roomy Hummers! Wink

• my daddy was a marine and dh is too. oooorah!
  • My dad is a retired Naval Officer. All my life I moved every three years and when he retired he continued to move every three years until we all moved to AZ where I met my husband and he was an Army brat. I encouraged him into joining the military when he was trying to decide what to do. We love the military life :)
  • Sorry I'm just lurking and decided to post.

BOTH my parents were in the military. My mom (Navy) retired when I was 13, dad (Marines) retired when I was 18. Both my grandfathers were in the Air Force. DH was in the Army for 8 years- now he's Air Force Reserves and my little brother just joined the Marines.

It's hard! You ladies are amazing <3

• imagecahill999:
    imageCKLee1107:

Cute men in uniforms will get a girl everytime... ;-)  

The first time I met MH he was in his uniform.  And he we are.  

This. and here we are too :)

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • Both of my parents were AD AF. My dad recently finished seminary and is now an Army Reserve Chaplain just returned from deployment.

I also have to uncles who are veterans, one a Sailor, the other a Marine, and three cousins who have served/are serving in different branches. We are a military family through and through.

• Biological Father - Army (born at Ft. Riley, KS)

Step Dad (who I consider "Dad") - Marine

Grandfather (Mom's dad) - Navy

I've never known anything different, really. Although, it's a totally different ball game being the wife of a soldier!

• Grandfather - AF

Father - MC

2 Uncles - MC

4 Uncles - Army

Although this was before anyone had kids so I've listened to the stories, but was never exposed to actually living the life.

• imageSmudges*Mom:
    I voted yes, because, according to the question, I am. My dad was in the Army but he got out before I was born. I was surprised to see how few "brats" there are of those who have responded. . .

Me too.  I can't tell you how many friends of mine who went into the service themselves or married the service.  

Fuuck TTC - I'm moving on.
    imageimageimageimage
    "It's a child, not a cheeto" Thanks mmariluh!
    "Ew. I've read all of two posts from you, and you stink like rotting garbage."
  • My dad was an officer in the Coast Guard, joined a few years before I was born & retired after 25 years.

My mom's dad was a Navy corpsman in WWII - he was in uniform at a circus when my grandmother saw him and instantly decided they were destined to get married. Love that story.

And now my husband is Navy, joined when he was 19. I never really intended to marry into the military but I loved my life growing up and didn't hesitate at all!

• DH and I are both Army brats all the way.  His dad and brother are currently Army Reserves (his dad did 10 years AD before switching to Reserves).  My grandfather was Army in WWII, my dad did 20 years AD Army, and my brother is currently AD Army as well.  It's what made DH and I become friends in the first place.
    Anniversary image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"