Northern California Babies

Warning...dumb question ahead

So we are working with the pediatrician on the timing etc of this..

We started EJ on solids...or rather soupy rice cereal.  He will happily open his mouth for the spoon and smiles at us when we feed him, but he just spits out the cereal and sometimes makes faces like "icky"

I am thinking he doesn't like rice cereal...so I was gonna try oatmeal.  But when I tasted the rice cereal it tastes like his formula (because it mostly is) so now I am wondering if it is just the texture of the rice (that is hard to find because it is so soupy).

Thoughts? 

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
Money Matters The other half's blog.
EJ is growing up too fast!
imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Warning...dumb question ahead

• He's probably spitting it out because of a tongue thrust reflex.  Totally normal, it takes a while for them to learn how to eat.

The texture is different, it will take some time for him to get used to it.  He's still on the younger side of starting solids, give it time and don't stress.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would also say tounge thrust since your LO is still young.  If this is why then wait a few weeks and try again.

Though S hates all cereals and so we waited an extra month and then skipped them going straight to purees.

Now she doesnt even like those so we have started BLW and give iron supplements since she is borderline anemic.

• Loading the player...
  • We did not do cereal until much later, so I am not sure about the taste, however it did take her a looooong time to understand the whole eating solids thing.  I would continue offering it and eventually he will get it.  At this point it is more about exposure anyways, right?  It will happen, now Weezy is a power eater despite her very slow start.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CelynCelyn member
    Another vote for tongue thrust reflex.
  • Yeah, we were not planning to start solids on him for at least another month, but the pedi suggested to do super soupy rice cereal for a month to make sure his tummy could handle solids since he is still having some tummy troubles.  

So we are trying to very gently ease him into solids.  

He has great interest in the spoon and opening for it, but he seems to be having trouble with the eating part.

I dunno, I guess we will just continue with the once a day (we are going 1/2 tsp rice cereal in 2 tablespoons of formula and only feeding him a few bites) and see how it goes. 

• Oh and per my dentist he is a tongue thruster (like his momma).  That is why he cant keep a paci in his mouth (which my dentist is happy about) and so it also make sense about what you guys are saying.

(I asked my dentist to take a quick look in his mouth because I wanted to know if he was teething or not because of the fussiness and low low grade temp and gnawing and drooling) 

• It took several weeks before Andrew was interested in cereal - either rice or oatmeal.  They are so cheap - it won't hurt for your to buy the oatmeal as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMy.ABC.Life:
    It took several weeks before Andrew was interested in cereal - either rice or oatmeal.  They are so cheap - it won't hurt for your to buy the oatmeal as well.

I have both, lol.  There was an awesome deal and I had a coupon for the Earth's Best rice and oatmeal cereals...so I got both for $1.  Score!

• Max never did well with the rice cereal; I was convinced he'd go to college on formula! LOL

We tried the oatmeal and he couldn't eat it fast enough!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"