Breastfeeding

Which type of bottles to use if BFing and pumping?

For those who do a combo of BFing and pumping I am curious how you decided on which type of bottle to use. Is there one that is universally better to avoid confusion or does it really vary from baby to baby.

I'm going to register tomorrow since hospital bedrest may be in my near future and am very overwhelmed by all of the choices. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP #2 - 12/9/09 After being on bedrest for 10 weeks due to TTTS and hospital bedrest for 4 weeks due to PPROM, my sticky babies are here! Born at 32 weeks!!

Re: Which type of bottles to use if BFing and pumping?

• I use the Playtex Drop-ins. Less bottle washing, although you still have to buy the liners, which is an added expense. I like that you can squeeze the air out so LO doesn't get all that air when eating. We use both the nipples that come with these and the Ventaire nipples and haven't had any problems with DS taking bottles and bfing.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wait to buy multiple bottles until LO arrives.  I got a few as gifts (didn't register for) and ended up buying a couple others.  Turns out, my LO doesn't really have a preference and switches between them and BF just fine.  My friend, whose LO is 3 weeks older than mine, just went back to work this week and her LO hates all bottles, but will occasionally only take Breastflow bottles.  Since you're having twins, your LOs might even like different ones from each other.

I tried Dr. Brown's (too many parts), VentAire, Playtex Drop-Ins, Avent, Ameda, and one other kind I can't remember.  I like Avent, baby doesn't really care. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO takes Dr Browns ( but there are a lot of parts.  I am going to try Medela today ( got as gifts) and I have some NUKs ordered. She hated the breastflow. Basically, just try different kinds. We just started Monday and she goes between them well but prefers the breast. Good Luck!
  • My lactation consultant recommended the Breastflow bottles. DD takes them well and easily goes between bottle and breast.
  • imageNeen33:
    My lactation consultant recommended the Breastflow bottles. DD takes them well and easily goes between bottle and breast.

Totally this!

• I love the Playtex Drop-ins.  The base of the nipple is very wide and DS latches on to it like he does to me, so I thought those would be best.  I bought the adapter kit so I can pump right into the bottles.  I only got a 2 pack of those bottles though so I could see if he liked them, and we lucked out because he did.  So like others said, don't go crazy buying too many until you see what works.
  • imagesweetkakes419:
    I love the Playtex Drop-ins.  The base of the nipple is very wide and DS latches on to it like he does to me, so I thought those would be best.  I bought the adapter kit so I can pump right into the bottles.  I only got a 2 pack of those bottles though so I could see if he liked them, and we lucked out because he did.  So like others said, don't go crazy buying too many until you see what works.

I registered for these bottles what adapter kit are you talking about? I also registered for the first years miPump

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"