New York Babies

pregnant in the city

i am just starting to remember why i always said i wouldn't be pregnant living in nyc.  the walking + the aching + the subways.  i'm feeling whiny tonight but seriously.  i'm about 7 months pregnant.  i long for a car and a parking lot at the doctor's office.  it's not even hot yet.  i'm not even swollen yet!!!  there are lots of awesome things about being pregnant here but it's hard to see through the pain and annoyance sometimes!

Re: pregnant in the city

• lol I said the same thing and feel the same way! One good thing is that peole are a little nicer on the subway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The worst part for me right now is I'm only 6 weeks so no one can tell (i.e no one is offering me a seat on the subway and I'm being shoved around and squished like every other non-pregnant person during rush hour) but I feel pretty awful. I seriously feel like I might faint on the train sometimes and the nausea isn't helped by the rocking train, constant cigarette smoking on the street - I work in midtown - and all the other annoyances that you just deal w with on a regular basis when you live here. UGH. I'm kind of looking forward to being obviously pregnant because then at least some people might be considerate - I mean only some, I see pregnant women all the time who don't get offered seats . . . 

I guess NYC has it's pros and cons . . . 

• Loading the player...
  • Everyone thinks I am crazy for avoiding the subway but reading this reminds me exactly why. Its such a beautiful day and I've been tempted to head downtown for some sun and fun but driving isn't going to work. Oh well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm 8 months pregnant, and I just started getting the subway seats offered to me. People on the subway just don't care that you're pregnant...
  • MARNYCMARNYC member

I was just thinking this as I walked back from lunch. I almost passed out on the subway yesteday I was standing and i got really hot and dizzy. I'm almost 6 months and visibly showing and I would say I get a seat half the time. whats funny is its usually men over women !

• delg23delg23 member

imagehnyloven:
    Everyone thinks I am crazy for avoiding the subway but reading this reminds me exactly why. Its such a beautiful day and I've been tempted to head downtown for some sun and fun but driving isn't going to work. Oh well.

I have been walking to and from work. I hate riding the subway. Because people are so pushy and in a rush they don't even see you are pregnant and push and shove you. Though walking a mile to work leaves me a little crampy at the end. I never was bothered by cigarette smoke on the street but now it drives me insane. All the smells were killing me when I had m/s. A couple weeks ago I rode the subway and two people offered me their seat! I was only going 2 stops so I was ok though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cigarette smoke has definitely gotten more offensive.  I was down in the 34th street n/r/q stop yesterday and forgot how horrible that station smells and how hot it is!!! I would walk further just to avoid it it's so bad.  The crampiness creates a serious waddle by the time i'm almost home.  I thought the waddle would wait at least another month or so!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"