South Florida Babies

last question about cribs I promise!

Does anyone have a crib/changer combo, sort of like this: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3927623&fromFinder=BRU:CribFinder&fromFinderCatId=3515381?

I was pretty set on putting a changing table on the dresser after yesterday's post.  But, after taking a close look at the baby's room, the crib and dresser will be on opposite sides so I don't know if the changing area should be closer to the crib for nighttime changings.  Does it even matter how close the changing area is to the crib?

Re: last question about cribs I promise!

• I really do not think the distance from the crib to the changing table really matters. You will have to carry the kid over either way...and think about it...the baby will be in your bedroom (I assume) for the first couple months at least anyway for nighttime feeds so chances are the changing table will not get much use at night in the beginning. In fact, many people I know put the changing pad on the counter in the master bath for easier access while the baby was in the cradle/bassinet.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In all honesty, having the crib and dresser on opposite sides won't matter much.  I found, at least in my experience, that in the first few months I hardly ever went into DD's room and that  includes to change her diaper on the dresser.  I had her in my room so I would put a changing pad under her wherever we were.  Now that she's older, she gets changed on the floor or in her crib on top of a pad because I can't get her to stay still enough on the dresser.  Totally your choice though.  It looks like it'll be a nice storage unit for diapers and what not.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMellyMelB:

I really do not think the distance from the crib to the changing table really matters. You will have to carry the kid over either way...and think about it...the baby will be in your bedroom (I assume) for the first couple months at least anyway for nighttime feeds so chances are the changing table will not get much use at night in the beginning. In fact, many people I know put the changing pad on the counter in the master bath for easier access while the baby was in the cradle/bassinet.  

We actually had a door opened in the master bath so the baby's room has direct access from our room.  From our bed to the baby's room would be less than 5 feet.  So, for now, I'm thinking that the baby will be in his/her room pretty soon.  We plan to use that room as the nursery until the kids are older and then when we want more privacy we'll make that room the office.  The only thing is that now I noticed there is less wall space for furniture between the two doorways, the closets, and a window. 

• imagemavilabride:
    In all honesty, having the crib and dresser on opposite sides won't matter much.  I found, at least in my experience, that in the first few months I hardly ever went into DD's room and that  includes to change her diaper on the dresser.  I had her in my room so I would put a changing pad under her wherever we were.  Now that she's older, she gets changed on the floor or in her crib on top of a pad because I can't get her to stay still enough on the dresser.  Totally your choice though.  It looks like it'll be a nice storage unit for diapers and what not.

So for convenience, it doesn't really matter.  If I consider this one, then it will just be for the extra storage.

• Ditto what the others have said. Where you place the crib in the room in regards to the changer shouldn't really be an issue. As long as it's all in the same room, it's not going to matter if you have to walk a few extra steps to get to the changer.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with the combo thing you posted, so if you like that, go for it! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • The distance between the 2 does not matter in my opinion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Perfect!  If I go with this one, then it'll just be for the extra storage. 
  • I looked into the combo crib but decided against it because of the layout of the room and because it didn't quite match with everything else I wanted to do in the room. I think they are so practical though
  • I actually think that combo is a really bad idea b/c it will make it much easier for an older baby to climb out of the crib!  The only times my kid climbed out of the crib was when DH decided the room needed to be changed around and he moved the dresser right next to the crib.  DS was able to make it over the crib rails onto the dresser and we found him on the top by chance.  Scary.  (I, of course, moved the darn thing back right away)

Tania

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"