Parenting after a Loss
Options

Interesting article on vaccines

Fontline did a special on "The Vaccine War," which I have not yet watched.  This letter is from an MD who was interviewed for the show, but whose interview was not used.  He was angry that his opinion and those of others like him (docs who believe vaccines are generally good, but that the current schedule needs work) were excluded from the show.  He said it created the illusion that the fight over vaccines is between docs who love them and crazy moms who are scared of them for no rational reason, when in fact there is a third group who believes we need more research.  Just thought it was interesting reading for those who are into delayed schedules.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-gordon/pbs-frontline-show-about_b_554691.html

Re: Interesting article on vaccines

• Options
    Thanks for the info! I was never into a delayed schedule until Cole got a raging fever with his last set of vaccines - I might think about holding off on a few the next time. It is all so confusing to me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This was posted on AP as well.  I like Dr. Gordon, but I had to laugh that he said Jenny McCarthy was a "successful" actress.  LOL!

As with most topics, there is a spectrum of opinion on vaccines.  It is not black and white.

The research that needs to be done will probably never be done.  It would take billions of dollars and YEARS to follow children over time to compare different schedules.  It's just not going to happen when there is no proof that the "standard" schedule causes problems.  Sad but true.

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When we told our doctor we wanted to space out the vaccines....he told us that everything we read was by stupid, uneducated people. He said "Vaccines don't cause autism." I was dumbfounded. No where along the line did I say I thought they did. In fact, the book I read said that the only vaccine even mildly linked is no longer being used. He treated me like an uneducated moron.

(BTW, I know some people on here are huge vaccine advocates, but in our situation I am a stay at home mom and other than mom's group twice a month Mari does not spend much time around other children. Also, by a delayed schedule....all we do is split up the vaccines. Half are done at 2,4, and 6 months. The other half are done at 3,5, and 7 months.)

• Options
    ibisibis member

I wish I had seen Frontline. I read the summary on the show.

My pedi was totally open to alternative vaccine schedules. However, when I looked at Dr. Sears's vaccine book he seemed to be saying that if your kid is going into daycare it's probably best just to get everything done on time. So I did. 

• Options
    imageknorton:

When we told our doctor we wanted to space out the vaccines....he told us that everything we read was by stupid, uneducated people. He said "Vaccines don't cause autism." I was dumbfounded. No where along the line did I say I thought they did. In fact, the book I read said that the only vaccine even mildly linked is no longer being used. He treated me like an uneducated moron.

(BTW, I know some people on here are huge vaccine advocates, but in our situation I am a stay at home mom and other than mom's group twice a month Mari does not spend much time around other children. Also, by a delayed schedule....all we do is split up the vaccines. Half are done at 2,4, and 6 months. The other half are done at 3,5, and 7 months.)

I presume that I am one of those people who is assumed to be a "huge vaccine advocate" just because I am a Pedi.  FWIW I have no problem with Dr. Sears' schedule.  But there is a legal obligation to counsel your patients on the potential risks of anything other than the standard immunization schedule.  I am not an advocate of being rude to your patients.  But I do support the physician doing his or her job, which includes patient and parent education.  One cannot assume that a parent is informed or well educated just because they have strong opinions.

I also personally think that Jenny McCarthy has been terrible for this immunization debate.  She has been very influential in bringing autism and immunizations to the mainstream media.  She might very well be a bright woman, but there is something about the blond Playboy bunny that makes her seem less credible.

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
  • Options
    imagelkstor:

I also personally think that Jenny McCarthy has been terrible for this immunization debate.  She has been very influential in bringing autism and immunizations to the mainstream media.  She might very well be a bright woman, but there is something about the blond Playboy bunny that makes her seem less credible.

This is interesting.  Back when she was first famous, I thought of her as a crass bimbo (anyone remember the Candies ad with her sitting on the toilet with her pants around her ankles?).  Then she went underground for a few years and came back, I thought, a much more serious person (I imagine having a kid with autism will do that to anyone).  Being wary of too much vaccination myself, I am happy to see the higher profile that she brings to the issue.  Not because she is a successful actress - obviously that's not true - but just because people know her name.  But I guess it's hard to shake a prior reputation.

• Options

Ikstor,

I wasn't saying anything to you or any one else on the board. I apologize that I offended you. I was merely trying to point out that I am not anti-vaccine and that I didn't mean to make people mad. Clearly, I didn't do so well. I am sorry.

I think vaccines are important. I understand that they are a great way to rid the world of disease. I don't think they cause autism, and I agree that Jenny McCarthy has probably done more harm than good (despite her great intentions).

• Options
    imagemh2t:
    imagelkstor:

This is interesting.  Back when she was first famous, I thought of her as a crass bimbo (anyone remember the Candies ad with her sitting on the toilet with her pants around her ankles?).  Then she went underground for a few years and came back, I thought, a much more serious person (I imagine having a kid with autism will do that to anyone).  Being wary of too much vaccination myself, I am happy to see the higher profile that she brings to the issue.  Not because she is a successful actress - obviously that's not true - but just because people know her name.  But I guess it's hard to shake a prior reputation.

Yeah - she has done a great job of "marketing" autism and increasing awareness.  I just think that her image makes it easier for people to dismiss her.
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
  • Options
    imageknorton:

Ikstor,

I wasn't saying anything to you or any one else on the board. I apologize that I offended you. I was merely trying to point out that I am not anti-vaccine and that I didn't mean to make people mad. Clearly, I didn't do so well. I am sorry.

I think vaccines are important. I understand that they are a great way to rid the world of disease. I don't think they cause autism, and I agree that Jenny McCarthy has probably done more harm than good (despite her great intentions).

You didn't offend me!

I just don't want people to assume that I'm a crazy vaccine pusher because I am a physician :)  I'm generally a very AP friendly doc, thus very supportive of Dr. Sears.

Of course I do get defensive of my fellow physicians as well and it makes me argumentative.  Sorry for getting pissy with you :)

E hugs :)

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
  • Options