South Florida Babies

crib recalls

After looking into furniture yesterday, I get a scary email from the Bump regarding crib recalls.  Apparently, some of the pieces can come off causing the crib to collapse inward and suffocate the baby (scary). 

Which brand do you recommend for cribs?  Which have high safety ratings?  Where could I find safety information regarding baby gear?

Re: crib recalls

• I have no recommendation for you because the crib we have is one of the ones that was recalled.
  • You will learn to visit cpsc.gov plenty for recall information.  I feel like there is always a recall going on for some kind of baby item.  Try to buy from a reputable company and store that will be easier to work with if there is a recall.  All of our furniture is Dutailer and there haven't been any recalls from that brand since we bought it (back in summer 2008).
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Right around the time I was getting ready to buy my crib, I started hearing reports of the dangers of drop side cribs and how more and more safety experts were recommending cribs with stationary sides. So that's the route we went. We ended up buying the Baby Mod Park Lane crib from Walmart after I fell in love with it in this nursery: https://www.spearmintbaby.com/2009/08/featured-nursery-wallpapered-ceiling.html. These popular bloggers bought the same crib recently after a lot of research: https://www.younghouselove.com/2010/02/nursery-progress-crib-notes/.

The reviews on the Walmart website were great, you can't beat the price, and it's safe. We like it :)

Check out Baby Bargains (the book) if you haven't yet. It talks a lot about safety. Consumer Reports is a good resource too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the recs!

I have been meaning to get the Baby Bargains book since it was recommended here.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• FWIW, I specifically asked at BRU if any of the cribs were dropside, and the guy told me BRU no longer sells any cribs that are dropside. I would still be doubly sure before making a purchase.
  • imagemjz:
    FWIW, I specifically asked at BRU if any of the cribs were dropside, and the guy told me BRU no longer sells any cribs that are dropside. I would still be doubly sure before making a purchase.

Thanks for the FYI.  Their cribfinder tool has a non drop side filter, so they probably do have a few on there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"