Baby Showers

I'd love your advice

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and at this stage no one has mentioned a baby shower.

We do not live close to our families (2 flights away), so there's no option of my sister or mum hosting a shower for me.

I've got lots of friends where we currently live, but none of them have babies. I think if they knew I was keen for a shower they'd host one, but I really think it's inappropriate to raise it with them.

I'm not really sure on the etiquette but I assume that either my friends here host the shower at their intiative or I don't have a shower? If that's the case its ok, but I'll be sad to miss out!

Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I'd love your advice

• If they wanted to host one, they would host one.  If anyone should approach you and ask about a shower - tell them no one has offered to give you one and MAYBE that friend will take the initiative. If not - oh well. 

You can always throw a meet the baby party once your LO is here if you are looking for a party.  

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Unfortunately, if no one offers, you don't get a shower.  You could host a meet-the-baby party after baby is born if you want to celebrate LO's arrival, but gifts aren't expected or mentioned at these types of events.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely not ask anyone to throw you a shower.  Like pp said, if anyone asks when your shower is let them know no one has offered to throw you one.  Maybe no one has realized that no one is throwing you one.  If no one offers to throw you one, then hose a "welcome baby"/"meet the baby" party after your little  one arrives.  I can only imagine how hard it is to have your family so far away.  I am sure they are excited for you and wish they could be closer.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My friend just had a baby, and no one threw her a shower.  It didn't occur to me to offer her one because her mom lives close by (I didn't realize she was having health issues), and at work they always throw showers.  I wish I had the hint that no one was throwing her one! 
  • i say let it slip. everyone knows at least one gossip, so let it slip to someone u know will talk about it that no one is throwing u one, or that u wished u were getting one, but u guess its not that important and let it roll from there. they may just need the hint.
  • I agree about maybe letting it slip to the group gossip...but by all means, do not get your hopes up for a shower, just in case.

Also, Most of us are in the States, where you do not host your own shower. Do people do this in Australia? 

Ohhh...I just got a thought...maybe you could say that you were chatting with some girls in the states and they were all talking about how it is rude to host your own shower in the States, and you were wondering what the Australian view on this topic was. From there, you could mention that no one is able to host one for you and you wish your mom was closer to be able to host one for you...something like that.

If that fails, you can always host a meet the baby shower once your little one arrives. Or do a lets get together and celebrate our last time out/BBQ/etc. without children...just make sure that people know its to celebrate becoming parents and "no gifts" should be brought.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Is it common in your area?  I lived in Australia for awhile, and baby showers generally weren't the accepted norm like they've become in the US, but I was there about 10 years ago and things might have changed (or it might vary regionally).

Anyway, I wouldn't bring it up, it should be at their initiative.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"