Parenting after a Loss
Options

Hypothetical poll to help me: When would I pump?

So this weekend I am going to try to make a point to get out of the house so that DH has DD for a few hours....  Help me figure this out in my head though please:

Let's say that I feed DD here at home at 1:00 and then leave for DH to take care of her.  When she's hungry, around 4:00, he'll give her a bottle.  Let's say that I don't get home until 6:00 or so....

**When do I pump in there to make up for me not feeding her at 4:00 when I wasn't at home?  Do I pump while I'm out somewhere?  Or pump at 6:00 when I get home AND then feed her on the breast when she's hungry again at 7:00?

Just trying to figure out what to do so that I wouldn't hurt my supply... WWYD?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hypothetical poll to help me: When would I pump?

• Options
    I personally wouldn't pump with this scenario if it is a one time thing. If you pump at 6:00 and she wants to eat at 7:00 you won't have enough milk produced to feed her. You could pump while you're out. I really don't think once will hurt a thing. Every day would be a bad idea.
    Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I have done this a few times with Cole and I have not pumped to make up for that one feed. If you are engorged you could always pump when you put her down for her "long" stretch overnight so you could be comfy! Your supply won't drop with missing one feed! I used to get nervous of this too.

To make you feel better - I pump 3 times during a 12 hour work day (4 hours between each pump 10-2-6pm - and I pump at 6 before I come to work and my supply has been fine ::knock on wood:: Our bodies are smart and know what our baby needs :) Try not to stress and enjoy your momma time!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I disagree with PP on this one.

Once your milk supply is well established I think it would be fine to go out for 5-6 hours and not pump.

BUT - since your LO is only 3 weeks and your milk supply is still regulating I think it is important to pump if you will be gone long enough to miss a feeding.  Ideally you would pump at the time she is taking a bottle.

GL :)

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagelkstor:

I disagree with PP on this one.

Once your milk supply is well established I think it would be fine to go out for 5-6 hours and not pump.

BUT - since your LO is only 3 weeks and your milk supply is still regulating I think it is important to pump if you will be gone long enough to miss a feeding.  Ideally you would pump at the time she is taking a bottle.

GL :)

THis is what I was going to say too.  Have fun!

DD is on her way to 2! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"