Breastfeeding

DS Will Hardly Eat--HELP!!

OK, my son is 4 months old. For the last month he will not hardly nurse. He latches on, takes two sucks, unlatches and cries. He will turn and root again (which is how I know he is hungry) but then stays latched for about 10 seconds then unlatches and cries. This continues until he gets so frustrated until I have to put the passy in his mouth to calm him, sit him up and then he is happy and smiling. He is supposed to eat every 3 hours still, so when he does this I stop until he acts hungry again and try it all over. I have also tried feeding every 2 hours, before he gets to where he is really hungry but that did not help. I have tried every position, dark room, quiet room, nothing works. My lactation consultant has watched and she has no clue what is going on. When DS unlatches, I can see milk coming from my breast so it isn't a supply problem. On a couple of occassions I have skipped a pumping session(if he doesn't eat) just to see if he prefers me being fuller and that seems to help but I cant keep skipping feedings. I have had to resort to supplementing with formula because I have used all of my stash. He also eats better at night. There has only been twice that he has not eaten well at night but I have even tried the exact position I am in during the night time feeding and he still cries. PLEASE HELP! I want to continue to BF but I do not know how much longer I can stress over him not hardly eating.

Re: DS Will Hardly Eat--HELP!!

• Perhaps it is something you are eating? Perhaps he is starting to teethe and will adjust soon....?
  • LO could be ready for some cereal. I know LO occasionally will go through these bouts as well and its usually because the milk isn't coming out fast enough. Perhaps the nipple of his bottles is too big so he's getting milk much faster from the bottle, and he's frustrated that he has to work harder to get it from your breast. Perhaps if you pump and get it flowing before latching him on that will help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought about that when he first started doing it, but I haven't ate the same things. I was visiting my parents so that could have something to do with it but I have been home since April 18th so shouldn't it be getting better? I have also thought about teething, and maybe I will try some baby orajel tomorrow and see if that helps....it didn't when the lactation consultant did it but maybe that was a fluke cause he was already WAY upset. Thank you for your input! :-)
  • imageavbliss:
    LO could be ready for some cereal. I know LO occasionally will go through these bouts as well and its usually because the milk isn't coming out fast enough. Perhaps the nipple of his bottles is too big so he's getting milk much faster from the bottle, and he's frustrated that he has to work harder to get it from your breast. Perhaps if you pump and get it flowing before latching him on that will help.

Well, we just had his 4 month appt and the doctor said we could start cereal, but he doesn't seem to enjoy it much, so I am thinking of getting some oatmeal. I will try pumping some before he eats to get the milk coming out. The only success I have is when I am sitting straight up and he is too and he will occassionally eat that way. I am ready for him to give up and eat again lol I miss cuddling with my lil boy! :-)

• I've breast fed all of my kiddos, and plan to do so with #4. The only time I had a issue like this was when my youngest had thrush. She went on a nursing strike and would not latch. She would drink EBM but that was it. I was told babies go on a nursing strike for many reasons, I would call a lactation consultant and see if there is any advice there.
  • imagevjustice83:
    I've breast fed all of my kiddos, and plan to do so with #4. The only time I had a issue like this was when my youngest had thrush. She went on a nursing strike and would not latch. She would drink EBM but that was it. I was told babies go on a nursing strike for many reasons, I would call a lactation consultant and see if there is any advice there.

Thanks for your response. We have had both of us checked for thrush(or as my lactation consultant calls it, yeast infection). He had a yeast infection on his diaper area(front)when he was a couple months old but they gave him ointment to put on it and it cleared up. Everytime I say something about him having it earlier no one seems concerned that he could still have it and there not be any symptoms. I kinda wish they would just prescribe the meds to us so I can see if it helps, but I dont want DS to take meds if he doesnt have to. I have talked to two different LCs and they just say its curiosity(sp). We had success twice this morning. Both right when he woke up, so I think I am starting to see a pattern. If he eats, plays, naps he does better than if he naps, plays, eats. The only problem with that is he is not a long napper. We will find out. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"