Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Stuttering?

DD has developed this habit of stuttering... anyone else have this issue?  I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, but we will definately bring it up at her 3 year old visit in 3 weeks.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Goblin Gallup 5k 10/30/11 - 36:46
Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11 - 35:14
Festival of Lights 5k 12/31/11 - 33:13
Love the Run You're With 5k 2/13/12 - 31:58
Backyard Burn 5 miler 3/11/12 - 1:08:42
Cherry Blossom 10 Miler 4/1/12 - 1:58:22
Wine Country HF 6/2/12 - TBD
Spartan Race 8/25/12 - TBD

Re: Stuttering?

• Options

DD definitely goes through periods of this.

ETA: I had my answer completely backwards so I'm deleting it! It's hard to talk on the phone and type at the same time!

Right now, DD is going through a phase where she'll repeat the same word over and over - it's like she gets lost in thought (or she hasn't decided what she's going to say next). It'll happen for a week or two, then her brain catches up with her mouth and it won't happen again for a few months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

A lot of kids between ages 2-4 through a period of 'stuttering,' and it is really nothing to worry about!  It's thought that it is due to the brain working faster than the mouth can keep up with.  She might be starting to form longer sentences or use new vocabulary. 

What you'd want to look for with a true stuttering problem is stretching out or stuttering on individual sounds... like "mmmmmmmmommy where's my sssssssssssock?"  But if she's repeating whole words, it's totally normal to repeat a word over and over when they are learning to formulate sentences.  Does this make sense? 

If it persists, or if you think it gets worse, or if you start to notice other behaviors present when she stutters (like hands moving around his face, tics, or odd facial movements), then I would talk to your doctor or call early intervention.  A lot of times stuttering isn't diagnosed until age 4 or later since there's just so many new language patterns that emerge while they're young.

Let me know if you have more questions.  I'm a speech pathologist  : )

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    From what I remember in my early childhood classes, stuttering at 3-4 is normal. Not very common, but not a concern either. It's a phase that will likely go away on it's own.
  • Options

My DD has developed this habit.  I am going to bring it up in her 4 year appt in a couple of months.

Her pre-school teacher says it is normal and it is not a real stutter.  She says that DD uses some words as a place holder while she is thinking about what she wants to say next.

My DD will go "I'm, I'm, I'm going to play in my playroom" or "I, I, I, I, want a drink of water".  She always get stuck on words not letters or syllables. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS just had his 3 yr check up and I mentioned to his pedi that he sometimes stutters.  Pedi told me to call our school district and get him scheduled for a speech assessment.  My DS doesn't stutter all the time, it seems to come and go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"