South Florida Babies

NBR: Has anyone done hair straightening?

I've been thinking of having my hair straightened, but I'm skeptical.  It's expensive so I would love to hear that its worked for someone.  Its supposed to last a couple months.  My hair is very thick and wavy - not quite curly but definitely not straight.  I hate the whole blow drying / flat ironing routine that I have to go through so that my hair looks nice.

image image

Re: NBR: Has anyone done hair straightening?

• OMG I've been dying to have this done.  I was planning on doing it over the summer... I guess next yr.  A few girls at work did it and LOVE it.  Honestly, all they do is let it air dry, or for a more polished look, dry it w/ dryer/hairbrush and it does last, even if get wet w/ rain!

Just make sure they use the one w/ the lease falmaderhide (sp)... and that they wash it before you leave.  Some leave the treatment in your hair for like 3 days, and all those chemicals seap into your system.

GL!  Let us know how it turns out if you go for it.  : )

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I reeeaaallly want to do this! My hair is super wavy and I hate to blow dry and iron. But I'm scared. I googled once (I know I should know better) and I read that it can cause hair to fall out!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I know a ton of people that have done it and love it.  Just realize, you still have to dry and flat iron your hair after you've had it done.  The thing is that it takes a lot less time and it keeps your hair straighter and no frizz.  Everyone that I know that's started it will probably never stop they love it so much.  I know people that have wavy to very very curly hair and for all of them it's been great.  Just make sure you get it done with someone experienced because you want it to be great - it's worth the money. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've gotten the Keratin treatment done twice now. I love it because it leaves your hair super shiny and straight enough that after you wash it it only takes 10min to straighten out (my hair is extremely curly naturally so if your hair is wavy it will probably leave it so you don't even have to straighten it). Anyhow, my hair is really long (when I leave it down its passed my elbows) and it cost me $200 to get it done.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs.ClariC:
    I've gotten the Keratin treatment done twice now. I love it because it leaves your hair super shiny and straight enough that after you wash it it only takes 10min to straighten out (my hair is extremely curly naturally so if your hair is wavy it will probably leave it so you don't even have to straighten it). Anyhow, my hair is really long (when I leave it down its passed my elbows) and it cost me $200 to get it done.

Do you mind sharing where you got it done?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm interested in hearing more about this too.   A coworker had it done and she loves it as well.  I love having curly hair, but feel that my curly hair is too crazy for the workplace.  During the winter months, I blowdry and flat iron it myself but in the summer - I leave it curly.  I hear it's like $200??
  • My mom got the Keratin treatment done, and it looks awesome. She has thick, wavy hair and with this she can go to bed with her hair damp, wake up in the morning and it just brushes straight. She is in heaven. She was told to repeat in about 6 months.
    ~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I had it done!  I did it last summer and I really liked it.  I thought it would give me perfect, stick straight hair but it didn't.  What it did do was give me smooth, frizz free, almost perfectly straight hair.  I could wash and go and it looked 99% better than it did before but if I took 10 minutes to run a flat iron through it the results were even better.

To be fair I have super thick hair that is very wavy in the back and a huge permanent wave (cowlick type thing) at the base of my scalp.  My hair was also "virgin" - I've never had any coloring or treatments done so it was more of a relaxer for me than a straightner but it still made my life much easier.  I paid $150 + tip and she came to my house.  Next time I think I'd rather go to the salon and pay less.

• I had the keratin treatment done and I totally recommend it. I have very weird hair. It used to be straight but after puberty got curly/wavy but not in a uniform way so parts of my hair are straight and parts are wavy/curly. I get it done at a Brazilian place in deerfield beach. Its kind of far but I don't mind driving there every 3-4 months (not now of course).

Hair straighteners can be very damaging to your hair but not the keratin so you should def try the kerating first. I think it costs me like $150 plus tax but that's cheap because I have really long hair. I also know of another place that does it in Sunny isles but it starts at $300 over there. Let me know if you need the phone number of the beauty salon and the guy that does it for me. 

• imageMrsJessNJorge:

Do you mind sharing where you got it done?

The first time I did it at a salon on sunset and 107 ave (with the lady that always does my hair--or did--i stopped going because I had the keratin done). The second time I did it with a lady that came to my house because she was cheaper (also charged me $200 but my hair was a lot longer when she did it). They're both good. Let me know if you want either or both of their info!

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What kind of straightening? I do relaxers and honestly, I regret it.  I lost a lot of my curls because of it.

It may be worthwhile to search for a really great hair stylist that knows how to straighten thick hair instead of getting it chemically treated.

• I know this is a little late, but I just got the keratin treatment done, and I absolutely love it! I did the Peter Coppola Keratin treatment, and my hair feels incredible. It is pricey ($200) but saves me so much time.  I think it is well worth it!  Just make sure you go to an experienced/trusted hairstylist.  I've been going to mine for like 7 years, but this is the first time I do the treatment.  
  • I know 3 people at work who have done it and rave about it. I have heard that the first time is good...but by the second treatment your hair feels even more amazing. So its definitely something you have to keep up because once will not do the trick alone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"