Breastfeeding

help...

what are the signs of self weaning and is there anything i can do to stop it?

Re: help...

• My friend's little girl decided she didn't want to breast feed anymore at about 4 months old.  She would scream and wouldn't latch.  Her husband was at home with her and gave her that bottle and pretty much she chose the bottle.  If you never bottle feed then I don't know what would cause it or what your LO is wanting instead.  I have started feeding some solids with mine and sometimes she wants that instead of the boo but at night still wants to nurse and will take nothing else.  What is your baby doing that makes you think they want to wean? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I think it's very rare for a 5 month old to self-wean - at least in the traditional sense.  LO might refuse the breast temporarily because of teething, congestion, or just because babies are crazy sometimes. :-) But after some time passes, they should return to BFing as normal.

Like pp said, your LO may have preference for the bottle.  I guess that would look similar but it may or may not go away with time. 

What exactly are you seeing that makes you think LO isn't interested in BFing?  In general, I'd keep trying to BF as often as possible.  Often the solution to nursing problems is more nursing.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • nurses for a min. or two then will unlatch and look around the room and then go back to nursing back and forth. however he plays with the bottle too. i realised a bit ago when i pumped instead of nursed i only got 1 oz. could he be unwilling to nurse because hes learned there isnt much there? ive since started back up the finugreek and lots of water and power pumping.
  • Based on this description, I think everything is TOTALLY normal. Lots of babies start noticing their world a whole lot more and pulling off, going on, pulling off a lot. It's a stage. It generally gets better in a few weeks. If he's still have enough wet/dirty diapers, you're fine! You pump less than you make; don't judge your milk production on your pumping output. Just keep nursing if he's having enough wet/dirties and try to do it in a quiet place with less going on. You could also try to nurse with a cover on (that's more distracting for some babies). I hold DS's free hand with mine to keep him from waving it about wildly and turning around a lot.
  • imagePAmiler82:

I think it's very rare for a 5 month old to self-wean - at least in the traditional sense.  LO might refuse the breast temporarily because of teething, congestion, or just because babies are crazy sometimes. :-) But after some time passes, they should return to BFing as normal.

I agree 100%

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"