Northern California Babies
Options

Help please: what do you do if your DC does something at school, but not at home?

My DS's teacher pulled me aside this morning to talk to me because some of the kids (DS included) have been using "potty" (not swear) words when they are talking.  For example: "here's your sandwich and poop", "here's your shoe and pee".

She addresses it when it happens at school ("we only use those words when we need to use the potty, etc.").  DS does not do this at home, so I am guessing he is just copying kids at school.

I am thinking I just leave it alone and address it if it does happen at home.  Is that what you would do?

Re: Help please: what do you do if your DC does something at school, but not at home?

• Options

I would definitely talk to him about it so that it is more likely not to happen again though, in all honesty, if all the other kids are doing it it will be hard to get him to stop. IMO. Let him know that the teacher talked to you and that YOU know what is going on. It's not okay. There are certain words we don't use, etc.

And really, getting three year olds NOT to talk about poop? lol. I get that it's not okay, but I know many thirty old men who think talking about poop and saying things like "fart" are hilarious.

• Options

Talk about a real literal sense of the a "potty" mouth. Stick out tongue

Hmmm. I think I would focus at home more about repeating what kids say at school and listening to the teacher. Is that possible at his age?? Sorry, we aren't there yet. But I agree hard to handle if he's not doing it at home.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, it's a good thing Emily's not P's class.  She thinks calling everyone "Poo butt McGee" is hilarious!  I agree that I would talk with him and let him know that you and the teacher had talked.  Not really making a big deal about it, just letting him know and reminding him that bathroom words are for the bathroom.
  • Options
    imagem&m818:

Talk about a real literal sense of the a "potty" mouth. Stick out tongue

Hmmm. I think I would focus at home more about repeating what kids say at school and listening to the teacher. Is that possible at his age?? Sorry, we aren't there yet. But I agree hard to handle if he's not doing it at home.

Ha ha :) I'm also not at this stage but I'd probably also address it from the respecting the teacher angle. I imagine this is something that happens with every class, though!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I will say something to him, but not sure, at 3 years old, he is going to understand.
  • Options

imagemonticellobride:
    Well, it's a good thing Emily's not P's class.  She thinks calling everyone "Poo butt McGee" is hilarious!  I agree that I would talk with him and let him know that you and the teacher had talked.  Not really making a big deal about it, just letting him know and reminding him that bathroom words are for the bathroom.

LMAO!! I get the "poo butt" but where did she learn to add the McGee?!

• Options
    CelynCelyn member
    Getting boys their age to stop saying poop is nearly impossible.  At home, we discovered that ignoring it was much better than responding to it.  Then we talk about it at bedtime when the silliness has ended.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"