TTC after 35

those of you without any kids- have you bought any baby things already, even without a BFP?

I know some cultures think it's bad luck, and DH thinks it's just plain weird and putting the cart before the horse.  However with all the shopping for friends' baby gifts I have been doing (there has been a baby boom in my crew) I have come across some reeeeeeally cute things that it is so hard to not go ahead and buy!  Namely etsy.com....it's cute baby stuff overload!!   I saw this stunning mobile that I really want.  I just don't want to jinx myself or end up with baby stuff I can't use, I think that would be depressing.  Argh!  The draw of baby things really only came on strong in the last year or so.  Prior to that I was the 30-something still shopping in the junior section, now I can't help but take a stroll through the baby section!  The regular women's section doesn't feel like where I belong either!  Hurrumph! Surprise

Re: those of you without any kids- have you bought any baby things already, even without a BFP?

• I bought a bib while buying stuff for friend's babies off Etsy - that site sucks me in every time.  Prior to my m/c I bought a rattle (it's an alligator - my nickname is Aly Alligator - so I had to have it).  Other than that - not really.  Oh, that's a lie - I also bought owl lamps from Urban Outfitters a few years back for the future nursery - but I'll be using those in the guest room until we convert it to a nursery.
  • Not really.  Although I have been tempted but my biggest thing is that I change my mind so quickly that it would be a waste of money for me to buy anything.

Heck, I couldn't even bring myself to buy a pregnancy book when I was pregnant.  

• Loading the player...
  • Well, I haven't bought any baby stuff, per se. I did, however, rationalize buying a discounted DVD of one of the seasons of The Muppet Show last summer, with the logic that it was OK to buy "kids shows" if we were having a child. But I really bought it for myself. I loved that show!!

Mostly, though, I'm afraid at this point of jinxing things. DH's mom bought us a baby book when I was pg with the first one, and just a few days after she gave it to us, we went in for our first u/s only to find out it probably wasn't going to be viable. Then at Xmas, my mom gave me one of those Hallmark ornaments that was the Playskool phone like we had as kids. She said she didn't know if I'd like it but figured "the baby" would. Aaaand 3 weeks later, at the first u/s, there was no heartbeat. So, I've decided the grandmas might need to be kept out of the loop for a bit next time, so they don't get baby fever and buy us anything.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • But, I should add, we did have BFPs when the grandmas bought stuff, so  technically, they weren't jumping the gun. It just didn't work out the way we'd hoped.
  • I have...actually waaaayyy back when we first starting TTC -- who knew it was going to be THIS hard.  Anyhoo...I signed up to get those Dr. Suess/Disney children books -- you know, the ones that come every month and you get, like, 3 at a time...well, I've since given them all away as shower gifts to ALL of my friends...they were never opened, just sitting there in their boxes that they where shipped to me in and I thought that someone should get to use them!  I can't bring myself to buy anything since.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The "wish list" function on amazon is allowing me to secretly "shop".  I love the Papagayo and Coco Tails lines by Lambs & Ivy.  Oh how I want that BFP!!!!!!!!!!
  • I bought a really cute stuffed elephant for a friend's baby...but then decided he was too cute to give away and kept him for myself.  So, now little elephant just needs a baby!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am too scared to jinx myself! My friend said she always knew she would be a mom one way or another and she bought stuff. They adopted a baby from Russia, so she was right!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDeanne Shehane:
    I am too scared to jinx myself! My friend said she always knew she would be a mom one way or another and she bought stuff. They adopted a baby from Russia, so she was right!

This was my thinking too!  If I saw something I REALLY liked, I would buy it.  I guess I have a thing for blankies, because I have a ton of them!

• I'm of the "if you build it they will come" camp.  Not that I've purchased a boat load of baby stuff, but I like the way it sounds :)

I have a thing for elephants so I found a silver elephant piggy bank that I fell in love with...I rationalized by  putting it on my hightstand and I use it :)

I also have been buying Target's maternity t-shirts...they were on clearance for like $3 and they are nice and long...I hate short shirts...so I also bought some of the full price short sleeve ones....my DH thinks I'm looney!

• imageCharBart:

I'm of the "if you build it they will come" camp.  Not that I've purchased a boat load of baby stuff, but I like the way it sounds :)

Char -- That's so funny (and cute!)!!  

I've bought a Petunia Pickle Bottom blanket for a friend as a gift and ended up keeping it.  Then I found the bag that matched on sale so of course I had to buy it too.

• I haven't actually "purchased" anything, but, when I did have my BFP I signed up for some stuff online (i.e. Pampers, Infamil, etc.) and then had my M/C.......and got my free diaper samples in the mail a week later.....OUCH!

So, now I just consider myself in "research" mode........I still look at the baby stuff, but now I just "plan" what I would buy when the time comes.  It has also helped me figure out what I absolutely need and what would just be nice to have.  I'll be really prepared when I finally have to go register and/or buy it myself!

P.S........I love, love, love Etsy too! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"