Pre-School and Daycare

Tip for things lodged up the nose...

Since Jace decided he wanted a turn in the "I've got something stuck up my nose" spotlight with a kernel of corn at dinner I thought I'd re-post one of my favorite tot medical tips (since I paid a $20 copay to learn it and I want to get my money's worth....)

If your tot gets something stuck up their nose do NOT go digging for it with tweezers (like I did).  Chances are great that you're gonna shove it further up the nose.

Instead lie them on the ground and act like you're gonna do CPR on them.  Plug the non-blocked nostril, open their mouth and blow a quick puff of air into their mouth.

The object will come flying out (and likely hit you in the cheek).

Fun times in toddler-ville at our house!!!

And.... another $20 of DH's hard earned dollars if someone can PLEASE explain the fascination with shoving stuff up there in the first place!!!

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: Tip for things lodged up the nose...

• again?!? OMG!

I'm copying this info down.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imagekada626:

again?!? OMG!

In his defense.... different kid AND he was really too young to watch and learn the lesson when Dylan did it the first time.  He spent his time standing on a chair and flipping the lights on and off as the pedi and I worked on Dylan's crayon.  Guess he didn't realize it might be important to pay attention.

Yes.

Again.

The difference was that this time DH's reaction was:

"Just leave it in there.  It'll fall out eventually." 

And my reaction was to laugh first and then take 2 seconds to go get it out.  (in comparison with the panic, tweezers, and frantic doctor calls of the first time around).

I'm digging this second kid thing.

I actually feel like I might actually know what I'm doing some days!

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • lol...Funny on how the second kid we are way more relaxed on things.

I suppose he had to try it to see what happens too! When this happens to us, at least, I'll know what to do while my DH freaks out. Maybe I should tell him... thanks for posting!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imagekada626:

lol...Funny on how the second kid we are way more relaxed on things.

I suppose he had to try it to see what happens too! When this happens to us, at least, I'll know what to do while my DH freaks out. Maybe I should tell him... thanks for posting!

Can you imagine a 3rd?? LOL  That one might walk themselves home from the hospital LOLLLLLL

And yes this is a GREAT tip!! Can you imagine having to use it and people around you looking like 'how in the HECK did you know to do that??"

• Holy hell, I just snorted tea up my nose!  You crack me up!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Excellent info. And BOY OH BOY your Jace sounds like he keeps you on your toes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's actually great advice!  When Kira shoved a piece of carrot up her nose a few months ago, they just told us to use saline or they'd have to go up and dig it out.  I had a similar thought with blocking one side, but not accessing the canal from the mouth. ;)  Fortunately with everything I tried, saline included, she eventually sneezed and it came out!
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"