D.C. Area Babies
Options

Postpartum wardrobe help...

I am 7 weeks postpartum...and need some help with where to find clothes!

I have lost about 25 lbs since I delivered but still have a bit more pregnancy weight to lose:(  I have the lovely flabby tummy working....and can't fit into my pre-pregnancy pants yet.  I am also now wearing a 40G bra since I am nursing so most of my maternity shirts don't fit and forget about my pre-pregnancy shirts..sigh!

Any advice on where to find some clothes to wear during this interim period?  I will be returning to work in early June and hope that I can fit into some of my pre-pregnancy clothes however I may need some other options.  I really do not want to spend much!

Also, I am attending a wedding over Memorial Day weekend...any recommendations on where to find a cute, flattering (not too expensive) dress?

Thanks ladies! If you have any recommendations, I am all ears!

Re: Postpartum wardrobe help...

• Options
    Target.  I was there the other night and they had some cute floral print tops that were loose fitting and cute dresses too, several with empire waist.  This is a crappy fashion time.  I think I wore my maternity pants for 4-5 months pp until I could fit into some normal ones.
  • Options
    When I was 4-5 mo pregnant I bought a few regular pants in bigger sizes and I went back to them pp. I also lived in nursing tanks paired with jersey dresses and tops - anything with nice loose, stretchy fabric.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

To go back to work I hit up the Talbot's outlet in Springfield and bought 5 new outfits for less than a $100.  I was about one dress size larger and needed a larger shirt as well. By 4-5 months post partum I was back to my pre-pregnancy size on the bottom but still wore larger tops.  

Are you going to be pumping at work?  Make sure you buy separates.  I foolishly bought two dresses and lets just say pumping in them was really awkward.   

• Options
    Nothing to add, but just wanted to say that I liked your choice of baby names Stick out tongue
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks, ladies! I will have to check out Target again (haven't had a ton of luck there!) and the outlets! 

I am planning to begin working out this weekend so hopefully I can lose some inches.

I will be pumping at work...thanks for the reminder about separates! I am sure I would have spaced on this.

Useonfire:  Thanks:)  Of course, I LOVE your little one's name..and he is a cutie!!

• Options
    Another idea for the flabby tummy - I wore a hospital version of a belly bandit for about 6 or 8 weeks (starting around 3 months post baby).  It basically sucks your stomach in so your body can pull itself together (literally).  I dropped a full size in that time and was able to go back to my pp wardrobe.  I wish I had gotten it sooner - I would have saved a few hundred $$ buying an interim work wardrobe.  It's a little awkward to wear under your clothes (I wore mine nearly 24 hours/day - except when I was in the showrr), but you get used to it.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

ditto pp about target. also old navy has some cute things that are pretty inexpensive.

when you're at target you might want to check out their shapewear. I got a cami there, I think the brand is "Suddenly Slim" or something like that. It's basically a plain white cami (they have other colors) with a slimming panel around the middle. It's only about $17 and it's nice to wear under t-shirts and blouses. It's doesn't make me dramatically skinnier, but it flattens out my tummy and makes for a more toned, slimmer look. (my tummy has always been my problem area, so I'd love this even without having a baby!)

• Options

imageQueSrah:
    Another idea for the flabby tummy - I wore a hospital version of a belly bandit for about 6 or 8 weeks (starting around 3 months post baby).  It basically sucks your stomach in so your body can pull itself together (literally).  I dropped a full size in that time and was able to go back to my pp wardrobe.  I wish I had gotten it sooner - I would have saved a few hundred $$ buying an interim work wardrobe.  It's a little awkward to wear under your clothes (I wore mine nearly 24 hours/day - except when I was in the showrr), but you get used to it.

I have thought about getting something like this.  Did you get yours from the hospital? Order online?  I may try this and save myself some money...and would love to drop some weight too!

• Options
    imagebh2720:

ditto pp about target. also old navy has some cute things that are pretty inexpensive.

when you're at target you might want to check out their shapewear. I got a cami there, I think the brand is "Suddenly Slim" or something like that. It's basically a plain white cami (they have other colors) with a slimming panel around the middle. It's only about $17 and it's nice to wear under t-shirts and blouses. It's doesn't make me dramatically skinnier, but it flattens out my tummy and makes for a more toned, slimmer look. (my tummy has always been my problem area, so I'd love this even without having a baby!)

Thanks! I will have to check this out.  Is it in the bra/underwear section?

• Options
    Kohl's - lots of dresses on sale now.  I also hit the clearance racks for slacks and tops to wear to work.  
  • Options
    I got most of my post-pregnancy wardrobe from H&M and Old Navy.  I went back to work at the end of May and I basically had a few skirts and tops and a couple of wrap dresses I would wear with nursing bras.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemucutiepie124:
    imagebh2720:

Thanks! I will have to check this out.  Is it in the bra/underwear section?

yes, at the Target I usually got to in Falls Church, it's near the bras.

• Options
    imagemucutiepie124:

imageQueSrah:

I have thought about getting something like this.  Did you get yours from the hospital? Order online?  I may try this and save myself some money...and would love to drop some weight too!

I got my from the hospital about 3 months post-partum as part of the treatment for my c/s incision that wasn't healing.  It's probably a little cheaper to get the industrial medical version (either online or a well-stocked pharmacy), but be warned that it's pretty unattractive!  The belly bandit comes in all these cute colors (for a price), but mine is pretty unattractive.  I think it was called a "binder." 

Just to clarify, it won't really help you lose weight - it just helps your body go back to a more compact shape by giving it steady compression in the flabby spots.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks again for your great suggestions, ladies!
  • Options
    imagemucutiepie124:

imageQueSrah:

I got the belly bandit online and wore it for 8 weeks and I think it helped my stomach muscles. And, I was having serious back issues- and it gave me some back support too.

On the clothes front- I lived in tank tops and cardigans last summer. I did not like any of the flowy tops b/c they reminded me of maternity clothes but I needed something where I could look professional at work but still manage to pump. Ann Taylor loft has a bunch of 3/4 sleeve and short sleeve cardigans that are cute (and not too fitted).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"