Adoption
Options

For all of you making your family profiles

In my first BM support group we all started talking about what we attracted us to the families we chose. Most of it had to do with the family profiles and I figured since many of you may still be in the process of making yours I'd share the information I learned...

1. The Photo on the front of your profile is very very important. It may seem like an obvious fact, but all the BMs agreed that some families did not put a picture on the front that caught their eye. So if you think there is one photo were you and DH look absolutely fabulous that is probably the photo that should go on the front haha.

2. Now of course BMs want to see pictures of you and your DH, but the profiles that were most appealing to the girls were the ones that had goofy and fun photos of you and DH. Pictures as you two as a couple are very cute, but can get boring after awhile. Most of the BMs in the group agreed that pictures of the couples being goofy (maybe in halloween costumes or just making funny faces) was what made them more attracted to the couple.

3. if you have a big family...the more photos of them the better. Family (especially close families) is something that BMs are looking for. We all want the kids to be able to have great family experiences so pictures of your family being together is a big plus.

4. Try to put as many of your hobbies as possible (with out over doing it) in your profile. If you travel, work out, like chocolate etc. put it in there. BMs want the world for their kids so even if its just getting to enjoy watching football every Sunday with the family that is still something BMs want to see.

4. Let the BMs know about your adoption experiences. I know it is very personal, but try to share as much as you are comfortable with. One BM in my group was attracted to her family since they had been going through the adoption experience for years with out any success. While another BM picked her family had already done a previous adoption and were excited about going through it a second time. BMs want to get to know you and that is a big part of your life so don't be afraid to share.

...I know these things might seem completely obvious but these were the things that all the BMs agreed on that really caught our eye and made us keep these families in the back of our minds. Hopefully in the meetings I keep going to I'll learn more stuff that may help any of you get matched sooner rather than later! Smile

Re: For all of you making your family profiles

• Options
    Thanks so much for sharing these comments on profiles.  I found myself reading and saying, check, check, next time, check, etc.  Thanks so much for sharing your insight as a BM, especially at this point in your process.  I'm so glad that at least so far, the support group sounds like a plus for you, and that it will help you get some closure to your adoption.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    thanks so much for the in sight i always thought i put in too many pictures or not enough of my and dh and too many of extended family so hearing your thoughts is great thanks so much
    Proud Momma of our daughter Charlie! She found her forever home August 2010 Hope to be the proud momma of #2 in July
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you very much! I will take this to heart if we get to a point where we feel we need to update our profile, I really pray that's not the case but if it is you are a ton of help. Thank you and I am so glad you are becoming more active here. You are a sweet heart.
  • Options

Thank you for sharing!!! Much appreciated.  You are so kind to help us.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love this!  Thank you for sharing :)  Yes
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your comments!  When we were recently matched, BM asked if we were interested in knowing what in our profile caught her attention and of course we were!  It was great to know that putting in photos of the more common everyday things are what she liked - such as going to a baseball game or playing with our dog.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. #2 really hit home for us. Our BM said that the goofy picture of DH sealed the deal for her when picking us.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!  We are pretty new to the process and every piece of info helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    HI again :)  Can you define "absolutely fabulous" in regards to the front cover photo?  Does that mean more posed, like a professional photo shoot or can that one me goofy as well?  I think that will be my hardest decision, the cover photo.
  • Options
    You are AWESOME!  Thank you so much!  We have built our profile but we really struggled with how many pictures to put in of big family shots.  The pictures mean so much to us because we remember the events and we worried that it would just seem like a collection of random people and not translate well and that really the BM would only want to see pictures of us, but opted to keep a bunch of really special ones in.  I'm so glad we did now, after reading this!! 
  • Options

You are a lifesaver! Thank You! I've been planning in my head all the pictures that should go on our BM profile. I think we definitely need some more goofy pics! I've already picked our cover photo and it's our favorite picture of us and the dogs. I even have a picture of our dogs with the easter bunny so I planned on putting that in. lol

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the tips, we are not even at that point yet but I will keep this info for when we are!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options

imageanangelbug:
    HI again :)  Can you define "absolutely fabulous" in regards to the front cover photo?  Does that mean more posed, like a professional photo shoot or can that one me goofy as well?  I think that will be my hardest decision, the cover photo.

Yeah I would say either a professional photo (if you were already going to get them done) or maybe that one photo of you and DH were you think you both look your best. Most pictures would work really well! But for example if you and DH like to run 5ks or an iron man DON'T put a photo of you two together after you two are done running forever on the front cover. That photo is better put into the profile around hobbies. You want a photo that is inviting and makes BM want to read more about the two of you. So If there is a favorite (updated) photo of you and DH I would say its safe to go with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"