South Florida Babies

ceiling lamp or fan in baby's room

I think I read somewhere on this board or in a book that you should have a ceiling fan in baby's room to prevent SIDS. How much truth is there to this? I don't really like ceiling fans.  They tend to make me congested and sneezy.

Do you have a ceiling fan or a ceiling lamp in baby's room? 

Why did you go with one over the other?

Re: ceiling lamp or fan in baby's room

• True about fan and SIDS, there was a study that came out last year I think, that says that the added air circulation helps.

We have a ceiling fan in her room, we also had one in our old house.  But we like fans, I can't sleep without it

image image

• Yep, it's true. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. I keep hers on low at night.

• Loading the player...
  • Oh my, I never knew this!  Thanks for posting.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have a chandelier in Cati's room lol. But she doesn't sleep there. She sleeps in her bassinet in our room and there's a ceiling fan in our room that's always on. I figure that by the time we do put her to sleep in her room, she'll hopefully be out of the SIDS stage (I think peak time for SIDS is between 3 and 6 months)
  • Yes, this is true.  We have one in each bedroom (fan w/light) - I also can't sleep without it on.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I read the same thing about fans and SIDS (plus we prefer sleeping with the fan on). There has always been a ceiling fan in that room and DH just added a lighting kit to it recently. I would like to change out the switch for a dimmer switch, though. We may just use a lamp for those times we want low light, but a dimmer switch sounds convenient.
  • =(  Fans and a/c make my allergies act up, but fans seem to be worse for me. 

I really loved this lamp at Ikea for the baby's room (if it's a girl):  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70109836  It's so inexpensive that I could put in a ceiling fan and switch it out later.  The previous owners left some of the rooms with no lighting so we'd have to buy something either way. 

• imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

=(  Fans and a/c make my allergies act up, but fans seem to be worse for me. 

I really loved this lamp at Ikea for the baby's room (if it's a girl):  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70109836  It's so inexpensive that I could put in a ceiling fan and switch it out later.  The previous owners left some of the rooms with no lighting so we'd have to buy something either way. 

Very dainty!  Love it.  : )

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • As the other girls have said, it's true that studies have shown that a fan can reduce SIDS. I don't believe it has to be a ceiling fan, however. I think if you put a small fan near the crib, it would have the same effect. The main point is for the air around the crib to be circulated. The ceiling fan is probably the most practical and effective way to do it, but if you have your heart set on another light fixture, you could opt for a table fan on a bookshelf or dresser aimed towards the crib.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:
    As the other girls have said, it's true that studies have shown that a fan can reduce SIDS. I don't believe it has to be a ceiling fan, however. I think if you put a small fan near the crib, it would have the same effect. The main point is for the air around the crib to be circulated. The ceiling fan is probably the most practical and effective way to do it, but if you have your heart set on another light fixture, you could opt for a table fan on a bookshelf or dresser aimed towards the crib.

I was just thinking the same thing.  That way, it wouldn't be a permanent fixture and I could just use it while he/she is little. But, the articles I keep finding online refer specifically to ceiling fans and it reduces the risk 72%! 

• imageMrsLeanna:

We have a ceiling fan in her room, we also had one in our old house.  But we like fans, I can't sleep without it

This! We have a fan both bedrooms

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow..I had no idea about the ceiling fans and SIDS...definitely learned something new today!
    ~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsLeanna:

True about fan and SIDS, there was a study that came out last year I think, that says that the added air circulation helps.

Ditto this completely!

If you have a ceiling fan in the nursery, you probably won't have the crib directly underneath it so the air flow won't pound down on the baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

Cute! So, you really think it's a girl huh? :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • we use a fan. Z's room is SO HOT and he has to have his fan on during naps or at night in the summer or he wakes up completely sweaty and gross :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• i agree with

Yep, it's true. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms. I keep hers on low at night. 

Nicole MOM 2 MARIO & NICOLAS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"