Georgia Babies

WWYD?

Ava has had 3 ear infections since the middle of Feb.  At the last check up on Friday the pedi said there was still some fluid in her ear.  Which to me means she is going to get another infection.  Since Monday she has been coughing really bad and is very congested.  I am worried she is developing another ear infection.  The problem is I don't always know she has one.  She doesn't always run a fever or pull at her ears.  For example her last ear infection was discovered b/c we took her to the doctor for a rash.  I am wondering if I am over thinking it now or should I take her in.  I hate to spend the $40 copay to be told she has a cold but on the other hand I don't want to miss an ear infection.  I thought about calling them but I am sure they will tell me to bring her in. 

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: WWYD?

• I'd wait.  I've take P a couple times and had it be a false alarm.  Once she REALLY seemed like something was going on and it turned out she was just having a bad day.  So I paid a copay for her bad mood.
  • Do ear infections always need antibiotics?  If they don't, and she doesn't have a fever and doesn't seem to be tugging--maybe it's ok not to bring her in? I dont' know.  I'm always paranoid of things getting worse as soon as the weekend hits, so I'm the mom that always takes her kids in on Fridays--80% of the time we leave and it's just a cold.

I could have sworn that I brought Alec in once and he had no fever, and a mild ear infection and they didn't prescribe anything.

• Loading the player...
  • I'd take her in. The frequent visits add up, I know. My DD has had 4 ear infections in the past 2 months. We do a round of antibiotics, and then it returns only a day or two later. We've pretty much gone to the pedi 1x a week for the past 8 weeks. But since the pedi has been so involved, I feel like she's on top of things. We're going to an ENT doc next week to discuss our options (tubes, etc).

I hate going to the doctor so often, and I really hesitated at first too. I don't want to be the mom that totes my kids to the doctor every time they cough, but I also don't want to play around with ear infections. If they go undetected for too long it could cause permanent damage...not to mention how uncomfortable it can be for our LOs.

Just my two cents. Do what you feel is right for you and your daughter!

• I know it sucks going every other week for ear infections but for us it was worth it b/c he always had one. Most of the time he didn't even run a fever or it was really low grade. I would take her especially since it's thursday and I hate doing urgent care. It's so much easier to go to our pedi.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We went through this too and it was so frustrating.  But dayum- $40 copay?!!! YIKES- that adds up fast!  How bad is the cough?  Is she wheezing?  I swear I'm buying an otoscope for this next one so I can look in there myself!  I would probably take her back but I would have a game plan to be completely blunt with the Dr and say, I can't afford to keep coming back for the same thing- we are ready to go to the ENT, who do you reccommend?  If the ENT doesn't think she needs tubes, they will tell you, but at this point, why keep spending so much money for the same results?  Good luck!

• Oh and I agree with the others- Gavin hardly ever ran a fever with his ear infections (once I think).  And I would much rather pay for a regular Dr. copay than an urgent care/ER copay this weekend!  If it was a Monday, I might say wait- but on a Thursday afternoon- I'd go.

• I would go ahead and have her seen. I would hate to have it get worse and for you to pay even more for the urgent care. Try to get the pedi to recommend an ENT too, since she's getting the ear infections so regularly. I'm sorry you're going through all this.
    Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"