South Florida Babies

another one - changing table or dresser?

Some budget-friendly nursery guides tell you to skip the changing table and just use the top of the dresser since eventually you won't need the changing table anymore.  I mentioned it to DH yesterday b/c we happened to be in the baby furniture aisle.  I told him we could mix and match furniture, not necessarily use all the baby furniture, etc.  When I mentioned the dresser as the changing table, he said, "Great, so the baby could fall off the dresser!"  I didn't really see it that way.  It's not like you leave the baby unsupervised on top of the dresser while you're changing them.  But, of course, now it makes me wonder and think it's a bad idea.

So, did you get a changing table or do you use another piece of furniture as the changing table? 

Re: another one - changing table or dresser?

• SIL uses the dresser w/ the changing table pad on top (used w/ both children), and it has worked out for them just fine.  I actually don't know many people that use a specific changing table just for changing.  Like you said, you will never leave the child unattended, and besides, there is just as much chance for the baby falling off the table as there is off the dresser!  I think going more budget-friendly is the best way to go.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Like Jackie said, there is just as much chance of the baby falling off the changing table as the dresser.  Most dressers that are sold as part of a baby furniture set have the space to be used as a changing table, you just buy the pad.  That's what I did.  Once Alexis was bigger and more active, I stopped changing her up there.  Maybe like 9 months old, it was just too difficult.  I put the changing pad on the floor in her bedroom and changed her there.  Or on the couch, or my bed, wherever.
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • We're going to go with a low dresser. I've not really considered the possibility of the baby falling off. I guess I just figure it's not a big danger since the baby won't be unattended. And doesn't the changing pad strap to the dresser (or it can, if you want) somehow by some sort of anchor you add to the back of the dresser?
  • I used a normal dresser with the changing pad on top. I don't really see how this is more or less dangerous than a traditional changing table. The changing pads usually bring a strap with a little screw that you can use to attach it to the wall behind whatever piece of furniture you're using, whether it's a regular dresser or an actual changing table.

To be honest, you'd be surprised at how little you might actually use the changing table. We use it maybe once or twice a day, but more often than not she gets changed in her crib, on our bed, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We did the dresser and put the changing pad on it. The changing pad has a strap that you can screw into the wall so it won't come off it the baby is wiggling around. But yeah, you wouldn't leave her on the changing pad alone ever. I actually still change her up on it! Not diapers anymore, but i sit her up there to do her hair and get her dressed!
  • imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:

I used a normal dresser with the changing pad on top.

To be honest, you'd be surprised at how little you might actually use the changing table. We use it maybe once or twice a day, but more often than not she gets changed in her crib, on our bed, etc.

This for us too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagecocojack10:

SIL uses the dresser w/ the changing table pad on top (used w/ both children), and it has worked out for them just fine.  I actually don't know many people that use a specific changing table just for changing.  Like you said, you will never leave the child unattended, and besides, there is just as much chance for the baby falling off the table as there is off the dresser!  I think going more budget-friendly is the best way to go.

This exactly for us :o)
    ~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Maybe DH thought I just meant putting the baby on top of the dresser without a pad or anything.  Well, I have some more time to think about what we want and to convince him, lol.
  • imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:

Exactly! We have a dresser with a changing pad on top and I think I have used it maybe twice. We went with a regular dresser so it could grow with the baby.  

• We have a dresser with a change pad on top of it.  We still use the change pad.  It's part of our night time routine that after bath we dry her off and put her up there to get her diaper and pajamas on.  You'll never leave the baby alone whether it's on a change table or a dresser.  I could not imagine bending over every time to change her diaper without it - especially when I was healing for my c/s - and now that she weighs so much more.   Plus - she is better behaved and doesn't wiggle for me nearly as much on the change pad as if in her crib, floor, bed, etc.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AlbahAlbah member
    We actually didn't go with a changing table since we lived in an apartment at the time of E's birth and didn't have room for it. I am glad we didn't. We just bought a few of those large absorbable pads and changed him mainly on our bed. It was super comfortable and definitely much cheaper. We plan to do the same with this baby even though we do have the room for a changing table if we wanted one.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• This thread and the other nursery one have been so super helpful.

Never even thought about this...

DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Well you're not supposed to leave a baby unsupervised on a changing table either, LOL.  A baby could fall from any place, iykwim.  ;)

We used a dresser with a changing pad on top.  It worked great and we didn't have a piece of non essential (to us) baby furniture clogging up space.

Just make sure your dresser is wide enough to fit the changing pad on it.  We measured a changing pad and a changing table at BRU to get an idea of what we needed width wise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did the changing pad on the dresser and it worked perfect for us because I have no idea what I would have been using my changing table for the last year and a half! Sophie only really used it for the first year...maybe even a little less...before I moved to dressing and changing her on her floor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We also placed a changing pad on a dresser.  I liked having the extra space on top and storage on bottom.  We had this setup for Eli only.  For Chelsea and Benjamin - I have neither :0(

We change pampers on the floor, bed, or sofa. 

• The dresser we got is a Belini dresser that has a changing table that pulls out from it.  It's nice b/c it doesn't take up extra floor space and you don't have to look at it all the time.  I really like it.  Granted, I think it's something outrageous if you buy it retail ($1500?)... we got ours at Goodwill.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"