Northern California Babies

Book recommendations for a newbie?

I've been searching Amazon for books, but there are just so many and I'm not sure what will be the most helpful.  What were/are you favorite books for a first pregnancy?  Maybe something my DH might read as well?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Book recommendations for a newbie?

• I really liked "Your Pregnancy Week by Week". There was great information about what was happening each week and lots of diagrams and drawings of the baby.

I wouldn't suggest "What to Expect When You're Expecting". I feel like it should be titled "Things to Freak You Out When You're Expecting". It really seemed like a book full of worst-case scenarios.

If you're thinking about natural/drug-free childbirth, I loved "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth". It's written by one of the most famous midwives in the country. There were great birth stories (some are a little hippy, but whatever) and lots of comforting information about going drug-free.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Thank you!  I was kind of feeling like I have to read What to Expect because it seems like the "go-to" book for everyone but it's nice to hear that you don't recommend it.  I will look into the others...do you know anything about Dr. Oz's book "You: Having a Baby"?
  • Loading the player...
  • I liked Your Pregnancy Week by Week.  What to Expect was ok, but definitely was not my favorite.  I also really liked the Baby Center book.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm no PG (yet) and I've been reading YOU: Having A Baby by Dr. Oz. It's been really helpful for me to just see how my body will change, what healthy things I should start/keep eating, vitamins to take, dr. appts to make, etc. There are great pictures and tips. I really have enjoyed reading it.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I'd recommend reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weisbluth.  I didn't read it until my first son was 6 months old and we were all at our wit's end about sleeping...  now that my second son is due June 1st I am re-reading it right now and realizing how much helpful info it has in it about really understanding your baby's need for sleep and how sleep works for children, and people, in general.  It's really interesting, actually.

Any when people tell you to rest now, believe it!  Rest now!!  :)

Good luck!

Heather

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CelynCelyn member

Not a fan of What to Expect either.

Your Pregnancy Week by Week is good for people who want to know what's going on week by week. Also Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn, by Penny Simkin

The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two, by Dr. William Sears and Martha Sears

For birth related books, my go-to is The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions, by Penny Simkin

• I did like What to Expect, and I also liked the book by the Mayo Clinic.  For DH, I got a book called "Be Prepared!" with a subtitle about new dads.  It was a fun read, but still full of good info.  My DH isn't a big book reader, but he read it all the way through.  I also enjoyed it. 
  • Thank you so much ladies! I'm headed to the book store tomorrow!
  • I really like The Panic-Free Pregnancy.  I also like the Mayo clinic book. 

You can get weekly emails that have all of What to Expect info from their website.  If you do want the book, I have an extra copy that my MIL got me. 

• image**Mutley**:

I really like The Panic-Free Pregnancy.  I also like the Mayo clinic book. 

You can get weekly emails that have all of What to Expect info from their website.  If you do want the book, I have an extra copy that my MIL got me. 

Aw...thanks!  I checked out the What to Expect website and it seems like most of the info is there so I'll probably skip that book. 

• I may be among the minority but I really liked "Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" It's cheesy and a bit dated for sure, but it made me laugh about things I was anxious about and really gave me the 411 on what to expect, the good the bad and the seriously hilarious. Some people get up in arms because she says not to exercise (although she does say to swim and walk, I think she is talking about things that are more strenuous)  but to be honest I couldn't exercise and that made me feel better in a way. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I loved this book From the Hips. DH actually read it as well & has recommended it to his friends who are pregnant for the first time. It was IMO waaay better than What to Expect- it really gives reasonable advice with the actual facts behind them.
  • imageeverydayeve:

I really liked "Your Pregnancy Week by Week". There was great information about what was happening each week and lots of diagrams and drawings of the baby.

I wouldn't suggest "What to Expect When You're Expecting". I feel like it should be titled "Things to Freak You Out When You're Expecting". It really seemed like a book full of worst-case scenarios.

Interesting, I have had the exact opposite experience with those books. The Week by Week book is full of doom and gloom. Every chapter has something new that could go wrong with your pregnancy, it's very scary. Early on I considered getting rid of the book because I was having nightmares about miscarrying after reading it. I stuck it out only to find that in the chapter for the 29th week, their drawing is not of your beautiful baby inside the womb, but of a preemie. It seriously made me cry. I ended up folding all the pages up from that chapter so I don't even have to look at it. Maybe I'm more sensitive to that because I'm on bed rest for pre-term labor, I don't know. I just don't think a picture and a whole chapter needed to be devoted to that.

WTEWYE is soooo much more tame and informative IMO. They address more "normal" pregnancy issues like bloating, RLP, sciatica, acne, hormones, diet, etc. It does have the other stuff, but it's not whole chapters dedicated to it and it's much easier to skip over if it bothers you.

ETA: When you want to start thinking about L&D I recommend Birthing From Within. A very interesting read.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"