D.C. Area Babies
Options

Doula who supports planned epidural?

I know it kind of sounds counter-intuitive to natural childbirth proponents, but I was wondering for my sister. Do you know of any doulas who support a planned epidural? Not as a back-up, but as the original plan?

Some of the doula information websites talk about all the things they do and that they can be used even if you go the pain management route. My sister thinks it sounds great, but she called a few and they didn't seem open to it.

Re: Doula who supports planned epidural?

• Options
    in my experience, most doula's are there to support you through unmedicated labor. did she try DONA.org?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I guess the biggest question I would ask my doula clients who are thinking about getting an epidural is what do they envision my role of support to be? A lot of doulas, if they are certified through a organziation, would have to adhere to that organization's codes/beliefs/etc. and I think CAPPA's and DONA's mission statements are vague enough that they might have doulas who support medicated births but the actual doula might have her own stance.

To be honest, I try to go to all the births I can because each one can be used as a teaching tool and give skills for the next birth. I think doulas have plenty of ways to help laboring moms no matter what.

Most moms who are laboring do go through the signposts of labor without the pain so having a doula can certianly be beneficial. They can be there to help mom understand what is going on, to cover down for the partner, to just be a support system.

I suggest to your friend to look at a lot of doula organizations (CAPPA, DONA, toLabor, etc.) and go to doulamatch.net...there are a lot of options out there :-)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks, I'll pass those sites onto her.

She would want one for the emotional support, stress reduction and calming measures (including massages) and to give her husband a break if needed. The labor nurses can't stay with you the whole time since they have other patients, but a doula can.  The quotes from the websites below make it sound like a medicated birth with a doula is a possibility. A post-partum doula also sounds helpful.

From https://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/havingadoula.html

Are doulas only useful if planning an un-medicated birth?

The presence of a doula can be beneficial no matter what type of birth you are planning. Many women do report needing fewer interventions when they have a doula, but the role of the doula is to help you have a safe and pleasant birth, not to choose your type of birth.

For women who know they want a medicated birth, the doula still provides emotional support, informational support and comfort measures to help the women through labor and the administration of medications. Doulas can work alongside medication by helping mom deal with possible side effects and filling in the gap that medication may not cover; rarely does medication take all discomfort away."

From DONA.org:

Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula?s presence at birth

• tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
    • reduces negative feelings about one?s childbirth experience
    • reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
    • reduces the mother?s request for pain medication and/or epidurals

Research shows parents who receive support can:

• Feel more secure and cared for
    • Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
    • Have greater success with breastfeeding
    • Have greater self-confidence
    • Have less postpartum depression
    • Have lower incidence of abuse
  • Options
    Agreed. A labor doula's mission is to support a laboring woman in her choices including the use of pain relief. Some may prefer to support unmedicated births but I would keep calling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"