North Carolina Babies
Options

Pets after babies

We have two cats.  One for 8 years and the other for 3 years.  Before the babies, I used to feel playful with them and enjoy them being around but since the girls were born, I feel more like they're underfoot all the time and demanding too much of my attention.  After taking care of the girls, working and being there for DH, I feel I don't have much left to give for my cats.  DH is still very close with one of them (Picus, our 3 yr. old Maine *** has always been more his cat); Ashley, our 8 yr old, has never been as social.  Anyone else run into this problem/have your feelings change towards your pets after your LO(s) were born?  I'm hoping it will get better once I'm getting to STTN again and have more energy.
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pets after babies

• Options

First of all, LOL at the Nest for censoring c.o.o.n.  Nice that they think we're all a bunch of racists who need to be censored.  Confused

I completely understand where you are coming from with your cats.  I've definitely grown less fond of my cats since Nate was born.  I feel like they are too underfoot, too dirty, too whiny/demanding. I have no intentions of ever giving them up, but once they die, we do not plan to get more cats.  I think we've just moved away from being cat people.

We have the most issues with our cat Fred.  He's always been a PITA though.  We both still have a decent relationship with Miles.  Whenever we sit down to watch tv or a movie, Miles likes to curl up with us, and we get some good bonding time in. 

We really don't have these issues with Fiona (our dog).  It can be hard for us to make sure she gets the exercise she needs, especially in the winter when it's too cold for Nate to spend a lot of time outside.  However, we still adore Fiona.  Our feelings for her have not changed the way our feelings towards our cats have changed.

• Options

100% what you said.  i chalk most of my feelings to lack of sleep.

some days i really want to rehome our cats but i would feel terrible.  i made a commitment to them and would be afraid something bad would happen to them.  *sigh*  but i totally get where you are coming from!  but yeah, when our cats are dead, NO MORE CATS EVER!!!! lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The first year was really hard with taking care of newborn/ baby and the dog. Even now,I joke with my dh that I am not taking care of another living thing (other than another child of course) but no pets of any kind --fish, hamster, dog, or cat!  Once the girls get a little bit older it will be better just that first year is so tough anyway the pets just seem to get the bad end of the deal. I was guilty of it too. Thankfully my dh stepped and really took over dog duty.
  • Options

we were in the same boat, plus add in trying to sell our house and keep it clean with a litter box and the cat getting multiple urinary blockages which cost money and made even more of a mess. We just really needed a change.

Luckily, my parents were willing to take him, so we know he is happy (especially since he will actually be able to go outside whenever he wants vs being an indoor only cat, plus no screaming and chasing by Emily) and we can still see him when we visit. Plus we can always get him back if we want to. But I don't see wanting to add any animal, whether it is a cat or a dog, to the household for several more years. .

Good luck, it isn't an easy situation no matter what the circumstances.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we've got the same thing... my doggies used to be the apples of my eye, but they sure can drive me crazy because they're just SO needy! on the other hand, henry loves them like there's no tomorrow, so that raises them in my book. they just take SO much work, and i'm just not in the mood to deal with it.

my cats, on the other hand, take like 0 work, and they sleep with me every night and hang out on my lap whenever they have a chance. i <3 my kitties Smile

i love my dogs too (very much!!), but my life just doesn't revolve around them like it used to. in addition, they used to do no wrong, but i get irritated quicker with them now.

• Options
    imageECUGirl2004:

I completely understand where you are coming from with your cats.  I've definitely grown less fond of my cats since Nate was born.  I feel like they are too underfoot, too dirty, too whiny/demanding. I have no intentions of ever giving them up, but once they die, we do not plan to get more cats.  I think we've just moved away from being cat people.

I can relate to this.  We have two cats and a Boston Terrier.  The cats don't need that much attention, but I'm tired of dealing with the litter box and they have torn up our house (carpet, screen porch, etc.).  We basically got the screen porch for them and they have torn holes through it and like to go out in the yard now.  Our one cat ended up spending the night outside a couple of weeks ago.  Pre-babies I would have been out searching for her but I just didn't have the energy to do it. She did come back the next day.  But I can't monitor where they are every minute with two little ones to take care of. 

Our Boston Terrier is a full out AW.  She is really bad about getting right in your face when you get home and she is a licker.  I get really put out with it sometimes the way she is so in your face.  But we love her to death.  And the girls love her. 

I love my cats too, but I think I'll probably be done with cats too when these two are gone. 

It's also a LOT of expense to have three pets. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    This is exactly why we aren't getting a dog right now despite my current major puppy fever. I know it just won't be the same as it was when we used to have dogs (pre-baby). Maybe one day. Sad

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    I feel exactly the same as ECU.  Our cats annoy me a lot now, and I hardly ever spend any quality time with them.  My animals are all rescues and will have a home with us until they're gone, but I just don't think I'm a cat person anymore.  However, we still adore our dog, as much as, if not more, than we did before Liam was born.  She's awesome, and I'm so glad he gets to grow up with her.
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"