South Florida Babies
Options

toddler bed or twin bed?

I wanted a toddler bed because its similar to a crib and closer to the floor but after talking with my friend she recommended I get a twin bed because the toddler bed is a waste of money (DS's crib converts to a toddler bed but we are going to use the crib for the new baby). When I told this to DH he said that he rather buy the toddler bed and that its not going to be a waste of money (we are planning to buy a simple toddler bed, probably no more than $100). I kind of agree with both DH and my friend so I don't know what to do. I liked the idea of the toddler bed because its smaller (and closer to the floor) and DS and the baby will share a room so it won't make the room too crowded. Also, we are planning to move eventually (we need the market to pick up first) to a bigger house (at least 4 bedrooms) so DS and the baby will eventually have separate rooms. Then, they will be able to pick their normal sized beds and the room decor so everything will match. On the other hand, If we get a twin bed now, DS will have that bed for many years to come. What did you do?

Re: toddler bed or twin bed?

• Options
    We got a toddler bed at Buy Buy Baby and used a 20% coupon and it was $100.  The reason I wanted to get a toddler bed, in addition to what you already mentioned (closer to the ground, more like a crib) is that I do not plan on putting her in a twin bed once she gets a big girl room.  I would like to get her a full size bed and I know that transition will be too much so my thinking is that she can use the toddler bed until she's 3.5 or 4 then move to a full.
    image image

• Options

I can see both sides as well.  For us, the toddler bed did not work and was a waste of money.  My mom purchased my son a toddler racecar bed and it was not comfortable for him at all.  He moves around too much when sleeping and would hit the sides and wake himself up.  He never slept a night in that bed.  We winded up moving the guest queen bed into his room.  He loved it and had plenty of room.    

I contemplated getting my DD a toddler bed, but my son now has a twin bunk bed in his room.  So being that we already have the extra bed (and other factors), we transitioned her into the twin. 

If I were you, I'd get the toddler bed b/c it won't go to waste, your new baby can use it when it is time.  Then you can get the "big boy" bed for your then four year old.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went straight to the toddler bed.  I didn't see any reason to invest in the same thing twice.
  • Options

imageSnshine:
    We went straight to the toddler bed.  I didn't see any reason to invest in the same thing twice.

I'm confused, do you mean twin bed?

• Options

imageMrsLeanna:
    We got a toddler bed at Buy Buy Baby and used a 20% coupon and it was $100.  The reason I wanted to get a toddler bed, in addition to what you already mentioned (closer to the ground, more like a crib) is that I do not plan on putting her in a twin bed once she gets a big girl room.  I would like to get her a full size bed and I know that transition will be too much so my thinking is that she can use the toddler bed until she's 3.5 or 4 then move to a full.

I actually had a queen size bed as a kid, I had not thought of that. I'm going to go to buy buy baby, baby love, target, etc. tomorrow to see what they have.

• Options
    We converted our son's crib into a toddler bed and it works rather well. However, he's slept just as well (if not better) on bigger beds and we've been considering getting him a twin. The other "problem" I have with toddler beds is finding sheet sets. I can always get the fitter sheet and the pillowcase, but not the flat sheet. The ones that come with flat and fitted also come with comforter, and I don't want those! That said, L will be staying in the toddler bed until if and when we have a second. If we don't have a second, then his gets converted into a full sized bed, so we'll probably do that.
  • Options

I would recommend either a toddler bed from a resale shop (Goodwill, garage sale, resale boutique) or ideally a twin bed.  You can make a twin bed closer to the ground by eliminating the box spring and putting the mattress on a bunky board or piece of plywood.  This helps with the hight of the bed and the adjustment from crib to bed, but also ensures that you're not spending extra cash.  You can just add the box spring when you're ready to move up.  Plus, it's nice to have the extra bed if you ever have visitors that might need a place to sleep. :)  I couldn't picture Aunt Ethel in a toddler bed. lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageReiszsPieces:

I would recommend either a toddler bed from a resale shop (Goodwill, garage sale, resale boutique) or ideally a twin bed.  You can make a twin bed closer to the ground by eliminating the box spring and putting the mattress on a bunky board or piece of plywood.  This helps with the hight of the bed and the adjustment from crib to bed, but also ensures that you're not spending extra cash.  You can just add the box spring when you're ready to move up.  Plus, it's nice to have the extra bed if you ever have visitors that might need a place to sleep. :)  I couldn't picture Aunt Ethel in a toddler bed. lol.

LOL Thanks! We do have an extra bedrooms (a total of 3) that we use as a guest room/office. The reason why DS and the baby will share a room is because we need a guest bedroom (both Dh's and my family live abroad and they visit us pretty often) and because the third bedroom is downstairs and we don't want to have DS or the baby sleep downstairs when the other two bedrooms are upstairs.

• Options
    AlbahAlbah member
    We came from bed shopping this weekend and I debated it. We ended up buying a full bed right off the bat. It ended up being a great deal and the bed was closer to the ground than some of the twin beds we saw, so we took the plunge! ;)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

imageAlbah:
    We came from bed shopping this weekend and I debated it. We ended up buying a full bed right off the bat. It ended up being a great deal and the bed was closer to the ground than some of the twin beds we saw, so we took the plunge! ;)

A girlfriend of mine did the same.  She got her daughter a full size bed, low to the floor, I think its from Rooms to Go, and put up the double side rails.

• Options

Ikeas has both toddler and twin size beds that are low to the ground and not expensive at all. I have a twin bed for juju in anothe rroom already so when were ready to move him I'm going to ikea to buy the twin frame and skip the box spring. More room for him...plus if I have to get in there to read him a book or help him fall alseep it will be more comfortable.

-j

• Options

Thanks everyone!

I went to ikea and did not like what they had. I did not have a chance to go to buy buy baby and baby Love but I went to Walmart and found a toddler bed that matches DS's crib (different brand though) for a ridiculous price $55!!! I am not sure if the price was right because I saw it online and it was more expensive so I went ahead and go it. We won't do the twin/full/queen bed until both kids have their own room.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"