D.C. Area Babies
Options

car seats

is there a convertable seat that eventually turns into a booster? or is it inevitable to buy 3 seats, infant, convertable, and then booster?

beginning to think towards the summer time when DS will be out of his infant seat, he is already 28 inches long and at least 18lbs...we'll find out tomorrow

recommendations?

also did you buy one for both cars?? 

Re: car seats

• Options
    when DD was in the infant seat, we only had 1 in my car b/c DH had a truck. Now DD is in a Britax marathon. It goes upto 65 lbs which can be age 6-7 or even older. We have one in each car (DH now has a car).
  • Options

I really wanted to find a convertible that did all of that, but the only thing I found was forward facing only.  So, we got an Evenflo Triumph Advance, which has a 50 lb weight limit.  When DC #2 is big enough to need a convertible seat, he/she will get the Evenflo and we'll move DS to a Graco Nautilus.  The Nautilus is forward facing only, but has a 5 point harness up to 65 lbs, and can also convert to a high back booster and regular booster for kids up to 100 lbs.

ETA:  I SAH, so we only have one car seat and just move it between cars if necessary (which is rare).

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a Britax Marathon and only have it in my car.  DD actually still fits in her infant seat (it goes to 32 lbs and she is only 22lbs) so we use that when we have to for DHs car.  I don't think we will buy a second car seat for a while at least since I do both drop off and pick up.  
  • Options
    Yes, and mine goes up to 100lbs in the booster.  I cannot remember the name right now (pregnesia) but we bought it at BRU a year ago.  We only have one car, so only one seat.  Around $165 I think.  If I didn't still have the infant seat, I'd buy another one for BabyTiara right now, but I can hold off until she needs it.  Oh, and I still have BabyCrown facing backward without a problem.
  • Options
    If you get a convertible car seat with a high weight limit and tall shell, you may be able to avoid the booster.  I have the First Years True Fit Premiere and it FF to 65lbs.  DS is 20-21lbs now so if he continues to grow at this rate, it'll probably last until he's 6.  The TFP has a very tall shell (maybe the tallest shell on the market).  Another good option is Sunshine Kids Radian that FF until 80lbs.  We bought 3 seats: my car, DH's, and MIL's (who watches DS while we work).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsTiara:

I wish I had seen this when I was looking back then!

• Options
    I just bought an Evenflo Symphony and it's a 3 in 1 and it will be the only carseat DS will need from now on. It's SUPER EASY to get him in and out of and it's comfy enough for him to fall asleep in.  AND, it wasn't very expensive (compared to others) and it got great ratings.  Highly recommend. Oh, and it's attractive (at least the one I got).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

One thing to keep in mind is that the AAP is now recommending rear-facing until 2 (used to be one).  There are only 3 convertibles on the market (none of the Britax) that go over 35 lbs rear facing.  We have a Sunshine Kids Radian which rear faces up to 45lbs.  It also works for infants.  We will skip the travel system infant seat with our next kid and go straight to the convertible.

Also, here is the NHTSA list of for child safety ease of use of carseats.  It is originally from 2006 but says it was last updated in 9/2009.  It includes combination seats on there too.

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options
    Hiker has a good point but are there lots of kids age 2 who are 35+ lbs? what's average? I don't know...at 18mo old DD was not even 25lbs and she's never been below 50%-ile. Boys are larger though
  • Options

imageSofka:
    Hiker has a good point but are there lots of kids age 2 who are 35+ lbs? what's average? I don't know...at 18mo old DD was not even 25lbs and she's never been below 50%-ile. Boys are larger though

LOL.  DD is just about 23 lbs already...not even quite 11 months yet.  ;)  

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options

imageSofka:

Average at 2 seems to be in the high 20's.  DS is 23-24 lbs and will be 2 on Friday though. 

• Options
    it's amazing how much less they gain in the 2nd year
  • Options
    thanks guys...I will definitely need one because of DS's size before his age. Tomorrow is his 4 month appt but when i took him in 2.5 weeks ago he was alreday 18lbs and 27.5 inches....
  • Options

imageSofka:
    it's amazing how much less they gain in the 2nd year

Yeah.  DS has never been a big gainer, but if he manages to make 24 lbs, he'll have gained only 6 lbs this year.

• Options
    Considering they have a 5 year shelf life, and the bigger convertibles have a 65 lbs weight limit, I wouldn't worry about it converting to a booster.  By the time you need a booster, your convertible will be expiring anyway.
  • Options
    imageHikerBride07:

imageSofka:

LOL.  DD is just about 23 lbs already...not even quite 11 months yet.  ;)  

LOL I was wondering this.  DD will probably be able to rearface until age 3 even with the 35 lb rearfacing limit with her Marathon.  She's only about 25 now. 

• Options

imageCrunchOoEezyMama:
    Considering they have a 5 year shelf life, and the bigger convertibles have a 65 lbs weight limit, I wouldn't worry about it converting to a booster.  By the time you need a booster, your convertible will be expiring anyway.

I did not know that....thanks, that helps.  I was having a hard time finding one that goes rear facing, front facing and booster, but I didnt think about the age factor..thanks:-) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"