Adoption

adoption question...obviously :)

This is a once removed type thing but thought if I could pass on any advice it would be greatly appreciated. 

A friends sister just adopted a 18mth old and 3 yr old.  She is now a sahm and having a bit of difficulty adjusting to being at home and learning to discipline the kids.  Does  anyone know of any mom groups in the portland oregon area?  Any other advice to adjust to be a wife one day and a mom of two toddlers the next day? 

Thanks

Re: adoption question...obviously :)

• She should check meetup.com for the mom's group -- she should ask her agency about support groups for adoptive parents too.
  • I second mom's groups.  I absolutely love mine.  One group rotates who's house we go to each week and you can show up whenever you want or just skip them.  It's such a nice way to keep kids busy and happy and keep mom's socializing and make new friends.  And there's no cost usually :)  Also, can she join a gym and take them to the sitter there?  I got a 2 year gym membership to 24 hour fitness for only $299 and they have babysitting while I work out. 

For me the most important thing is that I get out with my LO's quite often or have visitors here.  Meetup.com is a great recommendation too.

• Loading the player...
  • I am not sure how long it is for but I know she can not allow anyone to watch the kids or do anything for them until they have properly bonded to her and her husband. (because of  their age) so she can't use a babysitter right now.
  • Was it an international adoption, by chance?  If so, she should look into online support groups for parents who've adopted from a particular country... There is FRUA for Russia and Eastern Europe, and there are a bunch of Yahoo groups for other IA countries (I don't know their names, but I imagine you can find them by searching at groups.yahoo.com). 

Ditto the recommendation on Meetup for finding local moms' groups.

• no it wasn't international it was through the state of oregon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"