Preemies
Options

Bad baby breath?

Hello everyone.  First off, just want to introduce myself and say how much I appreciate this board.  I've lurked in the past (especially after my son was born), but never really introduced myself or posted much.  I love how helpful and nonjudgemental everyone is here, hence the reason I'm posting here, even though this question could probably be posted on the regular boards.

My son recently experienced very high fevers over the weekend, terrifying us and leading to a full-blown workup for possible meningitis or septicemia in the ER.  I'm horrified that he somehow became ill despite our diligence in keeping him out of public, but that's another story for another day.

In the end they have no idea what was causing the temperature spikes, but since that day I've noticed his breath smells very foul/sour. I mentioned it to the ER doc, NP and nurses, as well as to our pediatrician, but everyone told me it was likely coincidental and that they couldnt' see or think of a cause.

He continues to have disgusting breath, and I'm frustrated that I can't get an answer why.  He does have reflux, but well controlled with no new changes.  His temp is finally down today and he has no other symptoms, so I feel crazy pestering the ped about this.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience with why a 4-month-old without teeth would have sour breath?  Thanks for any advice, and thanks again for the caring attitude this board embodies.

Re: Bad baby breath?

• Options
    You could be smelling the sour milk from the reflux. Not sure what else it could be. You could try a dentist since they take care of the rest of the mouth as well as the teeth.
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • Options
    I'm thinking it's the reflux.  Has he increased the amounts he's drinking?  Also, he may have to have his medication adjusted the more weight he's gaining.  I think it's absolutely worth a call to the pedi.  I think the first 4-5 months I called them quite frequently.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Has he ever had a swallow study?  DS aspirates when he drinks liquids, and he was sick for months with unexplained fevers, etc before he was diagnosed.  And although I never noticed bad breath with him, apparently that is a common symptom, because they always ask about it when we're there.  Or he could be refluxing into his lungs. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was going to say maybe reflux as well. DS had the worst breath there for a while with it.
    But yeah, I would call pedi.
  • Options
    thanks everyone, he probably is due to go up a bit on his med dose for the reflux, so a call is in to the pediatrician to find out and to see if he has any other suggestions.  appreciate the responses!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"