Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Iron supplement and stained teeth

DS was iron deficient at his 12 month checkup because I breastfeed and was anemic without know it.  So, pedi put DS on an iron supplement for 3 months.  (And I'm on one now, too, of course.)

1 month into it, his teeth are waaay stained.  A lovely greyish yellow color.  Sad  I know the staining is supposed to be temporary or that baking soda should remove them.  I have two questions:

1)  If LO was taking iron and got stained teeth, how long did it take the stains to fade once s/he went off the supplement?

2)  Has anyone had luck getting LO to allow you to brush his teeth using baking soda?  If so, how?  Just brushing DS's teeth with a little water is a daily struggle, so I can't imagine him allowing me to polish them with a yucky baking soda paste.

Re: Iron supplement and stained teeth

• My doctor told me that MyKidzIron10 won't stain LO's teeth.  I just started DS on it.  We'll see....
  • Hmmm, DD doesn't take an iron supplement but her vitamin contains iron. I wonder if that could be why her teeth seem so yellow in the last few months? 
  • Loading the player...
  • are you giving the supplement w/ milk? i heard you're not supposed to drink it with milk just water because the vitamin w/ milk will stain teeth.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I give dd her vitamin drops with iron in it with her milk and the color dilutes. She hasn't had any stained teeth
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The doc suggested I nurse or give ds something to drink right after the drops to prevent staining.  Sorry no tips on already stain teeth.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Don't give it with milk!  Milk prevents them from absorbing the iron.  Give it with something with vitamin C in it to have them absorb it the best. 
  • imagewellfleet04:
    Don't give it with milk!  Milk prevents them from absorbing the iron.  Give it with something with vitamin C in it to have them absorb it the best. 

^ That!  It's actually the calcium in milk that interferes with iron absorption, so you should avoid giving iron with any food/drink that is high in calcium.  On the other hand, Vitamin C enhances iron absorption, so, for example, giving the iron along with some orange juice is a fab idea.

I do try to give DS some water in an open cup to drink right after I give him the iron, and I try to squirt the drops far back on his tongue.  It's obviously not working very well, though.  As for giving him the supplement in a cup of water or juice, I can't ever get him to drink it.  I scared him away from his sippy cup for the better part of a day when I tried to sneak the iron in it.  No

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"