North Carolina Babies

Anyone's Belly Measure Big?

Did anyone measure big when you were pregnant? At my last appointment, my belly measured 2 cm big, my doctor told me if I was still measuring big  at my next appointment, they would do an ultrasound. Measuring big can be diabetes (my test was normal so that is not it), a big baby or too much amniotic fluid, which can be a sign of a birth defect.

At my appointment today, I am now measuring 3 cm big (over where I should be), so they are doing an ultrasound in about an hour. My doctor said it was probably nothing, but I was curious if any of you measured bigger.

Thanks!

Re: Anyone's Belly Measure Big?

• I measured small, but I wonder if having your Dr appts later in the day could change how big or small you measure? All of my appts were first thing in the morning. Please keep us posted!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I measured big once, but at the next appointment, they said I was normal again, so I didn't have the u/s. I know that the measurements can vary by who does them, of course.  Nate did end up being 9 lbs, but I'm glad I didn't know that before I went into labor.  ;)

Good luck at the u/s! I hope it's nothing to worry about.

• Loading the player...
  • imageECUGirl2004:

I measured big once, but at the next appointment, they said I was normal again, so I didn't have the u/s. I know that the measurements can vary by who does them, of course.  Nate did end up being 9 lbs, but I'm glad I didn't know that before I went into labor.  ;)

Good luck at the u/s! I hope it's nothing to worry about.

You had a drug free labor, right? I really want to do that this time, but if I am having a 10 pound baby, I may need the drugs :)

Thank you ECU and Salisbury!

• At my appointment last Friday, I measured just over 2cm big.  Up until then all my measurements were right on.  I am hoping it's just a growth spurt or something that evens itself out, and not a sign of a problem.  My doctor said "Let's use this as an excuse to get you an ultrasound next month."  That didn't sound to me like she was concerned, so I'm trying not to worry.  She also told me 3cm one way or the other is still in the "normal" range.
  • Yep, it was drug-free.  You can do it, Lah! If they tell you that your baby is measuring big, just ignore them.  They can be wrong.  And if you are worried about it, just remember that I did it and if I can, you can.  :)

• In terms of the measuring big, my girlfriend just had a baby boy in December via C-section.  Ultrasound said he would be at least 10 pounds and that was the sole reason they did the c-section a week later.  He was 8 pounds - I put no faith in their measurements in terms of weight.

I wouldn't worry too much, and keep us posted!

• I measured big one appt, then normal at the next, then big at the next, then normal for the remainder -- this was with Brooks starting at around 28-30 weeks.
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• I also measured big, then normal, then continued to be big. I had 2 follow up ultrasounds and the baby was measuring normal at each. They predicted she would be 7-8lbs and she was 8lb 14oz. The doctors would freak out every time they measured me, so it always stressed me out!!
  • I measured 2-5 weeks big my entire pregnancy with Connor.  At 35 weeks I was measuring almost 41 weeks so they did an ultrasound and estimated him to be about 7.5 lbs at the time (this is also the about the time my dr started preping me for the possibility of a c/s because of his size).  I was induced at 39w 3d and he was 9lbs 6.5 oz (after induction, 8 hours of labor, pushing, vacuum and eventually a c/s because he wouldn't fit) so my dr was right on guessing his size.  For me, big belly and guessed weight was spot on for the size of my baby.  I did not have GD, no extra fluid, etc, just a big boy.  I wouldn't be too worried about it right now if your doctor is not.  Take an extra ultrasound as a free pass to see your baby again and try not to stress about it.
    image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • Thanks ladies! My fluid levels were normal and he is measuring a little big (72%) but not that big, according to my doctor. I go back next week to check again. He said everything looked great with the baby, so I am not going to worry about it :)
  • Help!  I have NO idea what you mean by measuring big or small... I'm picturing a nurse running a tape measure over your belly or around or something?

Other than my weight and measurements marked on previous u/s, I haven't been "measured" at all.

When in your pregnancy does it start?

TIA!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJuberP:

Help!  I have NO idea what you mean by measuring big or small... I'm picturing a nurse running a tape measure over your belly or around or something?

Other than my weight and measurements marked on previous u/s, I haven't been "measured" at all.

TIA!

It actually is a tape measure they use! Starting at 28 weeks, they've measured my belly from the top of my uterus to the bottom. (At least, those are the parameters I'm assuming they're using.)

• imageuncjules:
    imageJuberP:

Help!  I have NO idea what you mean by measuring big or small... I'm picturing a nurse running a tape measure over your belly or around or something?

TIA!

It actually is a tape measure they use! Starting at 28 weeks, they've measured my belly from the top of my uterus to the bottom. (At least, those are the parameters I'm assuming they're using.)

Yup, that is it! They just use a tape measure and do exactly what UNC said. It has nothing to do with weight (my weight gain has been in the normal range, they are not concerned about that). It just has to do with the size of your uterus and baby. Fun stuff, huh?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"